The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xolodilnikus

Re: Beginner Campaign: The South Guard

Post by xolodilnikus »

Deusite wrote: Do you mean the stuff that goes in between [story] tags? If so yes, it's only an image after all.
Thanks. Played with [image] tag in some dummy scenarios - that's really great for transitions involving dialogs between characters. Putting unit portraits right from the game is easy too - there's no need to copy them to the campaign folder.
BUT... Everything's quite cool until we start changing screen resolution. Images just don't resize and float away :(
Couldn't find the way to position overlay images precisely for every possible resolution yet.
...Managed to aviod the 'character hanging in the air' effect by putting him into some fancy frame in GIMP. But the "/images" folder becomes too heavy that way...
milkybear

Post by milkybear »

South Guard was my first campaign and I just finished it on Hard. It was a lot of fun, thanks very much.
Deodand

Post by Deodand »

Deusite wrote:
xolodilnikus wrote:Hi. I'm new to the game so don't know much of its... capabilities, I guess.
Got one idea about background landscape images (that's showing before the scenario) lately.
Is that possible to show overlaying portraits along with text during scenario debriefing - like in in-game dialogs?
Then one can place some scenes even before the mission.
Do you mean the stuff that goes in between [story] tags? If so yes, it's only an image after all.

Look progress!

<SNIP>

I'm not done hiding the old river yet and my attempt at drawing a river in the same style failed like so many fails. Those rivers will be a long time coming unless I think of a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it. (or just frankenstein it)

C&C anyone?
I'm quite impressed with what you've done so far. The old 'bigmap' is one of the things that really needed replacing.

More importantly you've managed to tie the scenario region into the mainmap

However like all good maps it leaves one wanting to see what lies off the edges... :(
Rivulus

Post by Rivulus »

I just finished playing South Guard - Pebbles in the Flood, and I think I may have found a bug. When Sir Gerrick dies, I get a couple of boxes of dialog, then one saying "You have been defeated", and the game quits and goes back to the main menu instead of continuing on to the next scenario (and all the information I can find on the forum indicates that there is another scenario). I'm running Wesnoth 1.7.5 on Mac OS 10.4.11 and I've attached a save file of the last turn before Gerrick dies. I don't have a clue what might be causing it, but I kind of hope somebody else can figure it out, because I'd like to be able to play the last scenario...
Attachments
TSG-Pebbles_in_the_Flood-Auto-Save23.gz
(79.38 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
oberon

Post by oberon »

I played both campaign paths on Soldier.

In summary everything mostly too easy, except for Into the Depths and The Long March which are frustrating. They are the only scenarios in the campaigns I have played so far in which I have resorted to going back to previous turns - in Long March because I got bored of getting stuck at the Nagas, and in Into the Depths twice because I tend to do silly things underground for some reason.

Also, if you blast your way into Mal'Brin's cave too slowly, you find that his units can keep the entranced blocked until it is too late.

I also dislike being given choices (Choice in the Fog, Into the Depths) which are impossible to evaluate without either playing before or reading the Walk-through. Also, as people commented on the scenario thread, the elves seem to behave too unreasonably in Vengance - you would expect them, or at least many of them to accept one of their own Druid's/Shyde's explanations of what the human's did and accept that that the people of Westin were allies against the bandits and Mal'brin.
Deodand

Re: The South Guard

Post by Deodand »

After a very long absence, a query, has the scenario 'background map' (eg the one that is used between scenarios) been updated yet?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Deodand wrote:After a very long absence, a query, has the scenario 'background map' (eg the one that is used between scenarios) been updated yet?
No, it hasn't. However, now that you've reminded me, I went and removed it.
DarkenedDay

Post by DarkenedDay »

South Guard was the most favorite of the Wesnoth campaigns that i have played. It can be challenging and, at the same time fun.
Goooooo!!!!! 8) :D :lol2:
Valvinar

Post by Valvinar »

First off I want to say that this is a wonderful campaign. I just finished my second playthrough as the bandits (i did elves the first time). I was wondering if Jarek was suppose to be loyal? I think he was on my first playthrough, which was on easy, but in this last one, on normal, he did not have loyal. Also Urza only had the trait loyal. I also have one small request, would it be possible to make it so the epilogue has a different save name so you could just pop either one up without having to replay a level?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Valvinar wrote:First off I want to say that this is a wonderful campaign. I just finished my second playthrough as the bandits (i did elves the first time). I was wondering if Jarek was suppose to be loyal? I think he was on my first playthrough, which was on easy, but in this last one, on normal, he did not have loyal. Also Urza only had the trait loyal.
I don't think Jarek's ever been loyal, actually. Also, Urza only got the loyal trait because he's also an enemy leader, and leaders don't typically get traits, so it'd have looked a bit odd.
Valvinar wrote:I also have one small request, would it be possible to make it so the epilogue has a different save name so you could just pop either one up without having to replay a level?
Actually (most) epilogue scenarios, including the TSG ones, have already been changed to not generate saves in the development versions. That could be reversed of course if there's a legitimate need for it... have you often found yourself wanting to watch epilogues again?
monokli

Post by monokli »

One thing that really annoyed me: PEASANTS ARE WEAK!!

Also to think that Moreth (awesome pikeman in easy, acceptable spearman in normal and wtf?! PEASANT? on hard)

And changing Aleron from Longbowman to Peasant is also a bad idea I think.

There are many other ways to add challenge (such as increasing enemy income, diversity, starting gold, and/or agrgresion)

Still loved it on civilian: Managed to level a peasant to a spearman, then all the way up to a Loyal Royal Guard! What an advancement!
Seldam

Mistake in "The South Guard"? / Feedback

Post by Seldam »

I think I have found a mistake. I hope I did not overlook something.

The South Guard:

Pebbles in the Flood: First there is said you don't get the money into the next round and when you have lost, there stands you get the amount of your money to the next round.
I don't know if you get it now or not, but this is confusing enough.

----
To keep it simple:

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the campaign on?
Civilian (easy); 1.10.5

(2) How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
Overall a 6. One scenario was very difficult.

(3) How clear did you find the campaign objectives?
I understood everything and it was easy to follow.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the campaign?
I liked the story, even if it is not something new. Overall nice.

(5) What were your major challenges in (meeting the objectives of) the campaign?
The scenario "The Long March". I think it is too difficult for easy.

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
A solid 7.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
Making "The Long March" more easier.
Attachments
All replays South Guard with bandits.zip
The whole campaign with bandits on easy, 1.10.5.
(263.65 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Mistake in "The South Guard"? / Feedback

Post by zookeeper »

Seldam wrote:I think I have found a mistake. I hope I did not overlook something.

The South Guard:

Pebbles in the Flood: First there is said you don't get the money into the next round and when you have lost, there stands you get the amount of your money to the next round.
I don't know if you get it now or not, but this is confusing enough.
Yeah, you're right, it seems to be a bit messed up currently, I'll fix it.

Also, thanks for all the feedback!
Rubric

Post by Rubric »

Hi, I'm new to the game. This was my first campaign, and I loved it. It definitely got me hooked on the game.

I noticed two things that might be bugs.

1. After Sir Gerrick levels up, his attack animation stops working. When you attack with him, his icon just kind of slides into the enemy hex, and he does not swing his weapon.

2. In the cave scenario (Into the Depths), my Dragoon seemed to have incorrect movement costs. Deoran moved very slowly through the caves, which is expected, but my other cavalry unit moved fast like he was on flat ground. I was going to attach a save game so you could see, but unfortunately, when I reloaded the save, it stopped happening. Sorry if you can't replicate it, but I'm quite certain that horseman was flying all over the map.

Regardless, it was a great campaign -- I really enjoyed it.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Rubric wrote:1. After Sir Gerrick levels up, his attack animation stops working. When you attack with him, his icon just kind of slides into the enemy hex, and he does not swing his weapon.
That's simply because no one made an animation for the leveled-up version. It's a rather jarring change when leveling up, but can't do much about it until someone wants to provide said animation. Although perhaps re-using the lvl2 animation on the lvl3 would be better than nothing. Or even just using the lvl2 sprite for both and putting the lvl3 sprite in only after it's got the same animations. I'll think about it.
Rubric wrote:2. In the cave scenario (Into the Depths), my Dragoon seemed to have incorrect movement costs. Deoran moved very slowly through the caves, which is expected, but my other cavalry unit moved fast like he was on flat ground. I was going to attach a save game so you could see, but unfortunately, when I reloaded the save, it stopped happening. Sorry if you can't replicate it, but I'm quite certain that horseman was flying all over the map.
You sure you weren't just moving the dragoon on the dirt and/or road hexes (which are treated as flat, taking up 1MP) and Deoran on the actual cave floor hexes (which take up 3-4MP for mounted units, as you'd expect)? That sounds like the likeliest explanation.