[Historical] Legend of Wesmere (add-on version)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Legend of Wesmere-Elvish(Kalenz) Campaign

Post by fabi »

santi wrote:Couple more issues:
1) In ELves Last Stand, when El'Isomithir dies, instead of him asking Kalenz about orders,
now it is Andulias who asks in the place of El'Isomithir. I had fixed this in previous versions
but somehow this fix did not make it?
No. You fixed a bug with similar symptoms but different cause.
santi wrote: 2) In Bounty Hunters, the sea creatures are a) two few(3 instead of 5),
b) too concentrated(in the same upper right hand corner) and
c) not aggressive

I am progressing with playtesting now. So far it is quite playable
I am going to fix both issues.

edit: the first bug is fixed, please give it a try

edit3:
deleted edit2 which was a false statement.
The second issue is fixed as well.

Fabi
fabi
Inactive Developer

Release version 1.5.8

Post by fabi »

The version 1.5.8 is available on the add-on server.
All scenarios are playable.

The size of the campaign has been decreased by the half because of the usage of jpeg images instead of png ones for the story parts.

Greetings, Fabi
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Some more engine-related(not LoW) issues: Even though errors are generated, the scenaria are working fine

1)Cliffs of Thoria
20080920 12:09:56 error engine: Cannot create unit: location (36,8) is not on the map, and player 4 has no recall list.
20080920 12:09:56 error engine: Cannot create unit: location (36,9) is not on the map, and player 4 has no recall list.
20080920 12:58:16 error engine: player not found when trying to recall!
player_id: Tafrul index: 1
player_id: Gryphon King index: 2
player_id: index: 3
20080920 12:58:17 error engine: player not found when trying to recall!
player_id: Tafrul index: 1
player_id: Gryphon King index: 2
player_id: index: 3
and Battle of The Book:
20080921 12:33:22 error engine: player not found when trying to recall!
player_id: Aquagar index: 1
player_id: Crelanu index: 2
player_id: Trigrul index: 3
player_id: Aquagar index: 1
player_id: Crelanu index: 2
player_id: Trigrul index: 3
Deprecated WML found: Trying to recruit a: scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for this side against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
The last bug is actually somewhat of a problem in that it fills in the screen;

Ancient Alliance plays ok -we talked about the issue of Aldar vs Haldric II
(also in the next scenario)

The King must die: I loved the map, but some changes are necessary;
First because there is no effect and no message on Landar(who also drinks his potion, else the story is problematic)
Some more issues:
1) The orcish King comes out all the way to the river. What would he be doing there?
2) Kalenz is attacked even though he has not fired anything yet. This is inconsistent withe being invisible

I will try to work a bit on The King must die. So far, the rest is ok except for the minor things alredy discussed.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

santi wrote: ...
The King must die: I loved the map, but some changes are necessary;
First because there is no effect and no message on Landar(who also drinks his potion, else the story is problematic)
Some more issues:
1) The orcish King comes out all the way to the river. What would he be doing there?
2) Kalenz is attacked even though he has not fired anything yet. This is inconsistent withe being invisible

I will try to work a bit on The King must die. So far, the rest is ok except for the minor things alredy discussed.
The map is a copy from SotbE.
Please playtest "The King must die" only with the newest svn version of Wesnoth.
Sapient fixed a bug that prevented "The King must die" to work properly.
Landar is invisible on the latest svn version of low and wesnoth.
Kalenz shouldn't be attacked that early on the svn version neither.

edit: The effect you see when Kalenz drinks the potion isn't the potion itself, it's his transformation to an elvish lord.
Landar doesn't transform to another unit, so no effect.
The missing speech is a bug in the wml of the potion.
I have no idea how I could do the effect without a transformation of Landar.

edit2: Haldric II is restored to the story.

Fabi
michote

Post by michote »

I'm testing 1.5.8 on hard now ;).
There's one strange thing. In "elves last stand" i got my 7th loyal unit, Orluf.
but when I start "bounty hunters" one of my champions is missing. I can't even recall him :augh:
Are there only 6 units possible?
Attachments
LOW-Elves'_Last_Stand_Runde_22.gz
the end of "elves last stand"
you can see the 2 loyal champion together.
(116.71 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 | Zepto Znote 6615WD | T2400 | 2G Ram | GeForce 7600 Go
\\ Intrepid
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

michote wrote:I'm testing 1.5.8 on hard now ;).
There's one strange thing. In "elves last stand" i got my 7th loyal unit, Orluf.
but when I start "bounty hunters" one of my champions is missing. I can't even recall him :augh:
Are there only 6 units possible?
Olurf is not a loyal unit. He is recalled every scenario for free but costs normal upkeep.
Maybe this has been forgotten, but I believe Santi decided against making him loyal.
(Of course he fights for free but there are other expenses like beer)

There is no limit to the loyal units in wesnoth or wesmere.

Kalenz left some of his troops back to defend the Ka'lian.
I will add a TODO for the missing speech that should clarify that to the player.

Fabi
michote

Post by michote »

fabi wrote:Olurf is not a loyal unit. He is recalled every scenario for free but costs normal upkeep.
Maybe this has been forgotten, but I believe Santi decided against making him loyal.
(Of course he fights for free but there are other expenses like beer)
sorry I didn't look certainly :oops:
fabi wrote:Kalenz left some of his troops back to defend the Ka'lian.
I will add a TODO for the missing speech that should clarify that to the player.
[/quote]

Ok, than It's all right.
thanks
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 | Zepto Znote 6615WD | T2400 | 2G Ram | GeForce 7600 Go
\\ Intrepid
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

In the council scenario just befor bounty hunters Kalenz says something to this effect(We will leave our best troops and gold here for safety), meaning level 3 troops do not join you for the trip to Thoria.
In order not to spoil the rest, just note that "you'll get them back when you need them"
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I tried again the King must die(revision 1709.
-We still have the issue of the king taking walks alone during the night
-Another issue is recruitment. I would prefer that there is no recruitment, just the orcish guard that may be activated; recruitment gives me the impression of a general alert and the whole point is that there should not be a general alert. Furthermore the orcs surround Kalenz and Landar
without attacking though, which again is strange(why gather there if they are not going to attack?)
-When Landar attacked the King, the orcs attack Kalenz, even though he has not fought anyone yet
and is presumably invisible.

I have not really evaluated this gamewise, i.e. if it is possible to beat this scenario and how fun/hard it will be. I am not sure it makes sense though and this means we may need to rethink it.

Let's put down the constraints:
1) there is not much strategy here, because we have only 2 "must not die" units. This suggests the scenario cannot afford to be too hard-in fact it was originally designed as an orc-hunting scenario.
2) If the king is unsuspecting, we probably need him passive, instead of taking walks
3) similarly, if the rest of the orcs are unsuspecting we should not have recruiting, but guards instead.
To make it a bit harder/fun at leat some guards must be slain, so it might be worthwhile to have something like an "orcish shield"(instead of human shield) on the approach to the king, maybe guards a hex apart. Guards, like the king should fight back and preferably should also initiate contact ONCE they have been attacked(not that they are too likely to survive long). The rest of the troops should either stay idle or else come close, but they should not be aware of the elves's location. This may be unsupported by current wml. Only the wolves may attack, but this should be a trap, i.e. the wolves should be located not too close in the king's path and should be within range only if the elves stary too far from the path. This is doable in wml and indeed this was done in the original scenario.
So the issue here would be how can we force the elves to take the path to the wolves
? maybe one path is too well gurded?

We could go back to the original plan, but we are looking for something better here.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Another issue on Landar's last words: Before scenario 20, if Landar dies it's a loss and meanwhile he is noty exactly tired of his life, so we need something like "I'm done!"
After scenario 20, Landar cannot die before End of war. So there we can have an explicit death condition) with the dialog. Now I am not sure what WML will do, because it has a default deaths.cfg,
but also an explicit death condition; I would guess it will disregard deaths.cfg and hope it would not do both.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

santi wrote:Another issue on Landar's last words: Before scenario 20, if Landar dies it's a loss and meanwhile he is noty exactly tired of his life, so we need something like "I'm done!"
After scenario 20, Landar cannot die before End of war. So there we can have an explicit death condition) with the dialog. Now I am not sure what WML will do, because it has a default deaths.cfg,
but also an explicit death condition; I would guess it will disregard deaths.cfg and hope it would not do both.
WML executes events and commands in order.
If you define a death event (or better the new "last breath" event) before the include of the death.cfg file it will be executed first.
But the later event will be executed afterwards.
This shouldn't be a problem because the endlevel tag inside the first event will end the scenario and so prevent the later one to execute.
Bad explained, sorry :-)
santi wrote:In the council scenario just befor bounty hunters Kalenz says something to this effect(We will leave our best troops and gold here for safety), meaning level 3 troops do not join you for the trip to Thoria.
In order not to spoil the rest, just note that "you'll get them back when you need them"
In the current version the narrator tells the names of the units that have been left behind at the beginning of the next non story scenario,
09 Bounty Hunters.

About the king must die:
Santi, feel free to disable recruiting by giving the ai sides no gold.
The orcish guard from the old level is still available in a macro but misplaced on the new map.
From a campaign developers point of few there is not much to do about the potion.
If there are any glitches left, they are in the c++ code of wesnoth, not in the campaign.
Since the ai has had a major redone in the svn version lately I would suggest waiting for this things to become stable before wasting
time with it.

edit: if you adjust the positions of the guard to the new map, keep in mind that this map is a place already used in sotbe. Perhaps it doesn't fit story wise that the orcish king is there.

Fabi
Last edited by fabi on September 23rd, 2008, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks for the clarifications. I will ask Shadow Master maybe he has more details on AI changes
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, I made a number of changes. One thing I cannot get is the orc leader to stay put.
Even though I have:
grouping=no
ai_algorithm=idle_ai
passive_leader=yes
protect_leader_radius=1
the guy goes for walks in the river in the middle of the night!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Release version 1.5.9

Post by fabi »

New release on the add-on server of wesnoth 1.5.x .
Enjoy!
fabi
Inactive Developer

LOW removed from the add-on server

Post by fabi »

The campaign was removed from the 1.5 add-on server because it went mainline.
To play the campaign checkout the svn trunk or wait for the 1.5.6 release of Wesnoth.

Greetings, Fabi