[Historical] Legend of Wesmere (add-on version)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santi
Lord of Wesmere

[Historical] Legend of Wesmere (add-on version)

Post by santi »

This is the hostorical thread for the addon version of LoW up to the 1.5.x/1.6.x mainline version.
Please post issues or comments about the 1.7.x/1.8.x version in this thread.
Santi wrote:This is a new (epic)campaign, featuring Kalenz as the hero. The first 6 scenarios(out of some 20+) are complete, but perhaps not as well tested. It is released so there can be feedback. Scenario changes are certainely possible. Since elves live long, this can span some 500 years, starting with the arrival of Haldric and co and ending... well, certainely after Konrad. A lot of things can happen in 500 years our imagination is the limit and it's pretty wild right now, so the limiting factor is the work required. I think it is consistent with everything we have
in other scenarios thus far(pending Shade's ending of TROW and my playing the Dark Hordes
campaign- not sure if there is a role for Kalenz there)

Many thanks go to:
-my kids, who co-designed the campaign
-Dacyn, Elvish Pillager, Mad Max, Circon, Invisible Philosopher and a few more who
were quick to help with my WML troubles(my WML is still weak). There would have been no campaign without them.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this campaign: Obviously it fills in some voids, but
a)The problem may be that Kalenz is too
important in the history of Wesnoth, hence this may put constraints on future campaigns.
It is understandable if people resent the feel that Kalenz is under every stone in Wesnoth
history.
b)There may be some scenario changes. For example one idea is that Kalenz comes from
'Snow Plains' aka ancient home of the northern elves, rather than a peninsula not really visible in the map and this is forest is burned down by the orcs, so they relocate when they return. Then one also has to explain how the sword of fire was left behind and Kalenz
mentions 'legend has it...' in HttT, while he should know details if he were there. On the other hand,
there may be an addition after scenario 2 where he meets refugees from there. Other ideas are a Kalenz-Cleodil angle -there will be some
Kalenz 'retirements' during the campaign corresponding to periods of peace in Wesnoth -which the campaign 'explains', so Kalenz can have a
peaceful family life during those times.
c) The maps and WML are probably too crude and should be redone. But hey, the scenarios are playable.

There are also some other technical problems introduced
a) In HttT, Kalenz is an elvish lord, but there is no evolution path to Elvish Lord
So he starts off as an elvish fighter and at some point(which is
not until after scenario 7) has to evolve to Elvish lord, sinc ethis is an HttT constaint. So we will need either new
units or some WML transformation
b) I have shamelessly copied Matt's Elder figures as well as EP's Elvish Prince Image
in the icon-hope they do not mind, if not we'll try to summon Wesnoth's great artists to
do something original.

I was planning to post the entire story, but it may be too much of a spoiler, especially for the next few scenaria, which are the wackiest.
If there is interest, I will do that in the next posting. One thing we do NOT want is a kind of noble heritage-had too much of that already with humans!
Last edited by santi on August 27th, 2008, 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
sanna

Post by sanna »

Haven't played enough to give feedback on story/playability, will repost later. But it seems like great fun, had a bit of trouble keeping tabs on Landar and got him killed the first time round - hmm wish there was a way for scenario builder to overlay units that have to survive with some kind of mark to make them stand out in a crowd. :)
BUT: There is a case-problem with the zip-file, I've had to go through the files and change ev'thing to lower case (except Kalenz and various Kal-maps) to match how they're called in the files. At least on my mac (10.3.3) it wont play otherwise. The Elvish Warrior unit-file won't even be included, since it is an .CFG-file, not an .cfg.
Also the ELVISH_W.CFG, which I renamed Elvish_Warrior.cfg ends like this:

Code: Select all

[/unit]
...several blank lines removed...
get_hit_sound=ugg.wav
	[attack]
	name=sword
	type=blade
	range=short
	damage=15
	number=2
	[/attack]
[/unit]
I've had to remove everything after the first [/unit] in order to get the file to work.
Also, I can't seem to find elvish-warrior-prince.png, is this dependant on installation of another non-mainline campaign?

EDIT: Oh, and I recommend that you add some kind of prefix to your story-tags, intro_NUM is sure to be used somewhere else, but kalenz_intro_NUM probably wont be. Also, it doesn't seem as if you are using the new merged bigmap/story format.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

santi wrote:a) In HttT, Kalenz is an elvish lord, but there is no evolution path to Elvish Lord
What you should do in this situation is make your own unit files for an evolution path to an Elvish Lord.
sanna wrote:Also, I can't seem to find elvish-warrior-prince.png, is this dependant on installation of another non-mainline campaign
Yes, the "Unrest in Elfland" campaign by EP.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks Sanna,
argh! I uploaded the windows version!
But even in the unix version, I have 7.10 -not yet upgraded to the new 8.2 format
If that is a problem, I must install 8.2 or 8.3 and figure out the correct
directory structure

Now in more detail:
1) Yes, it would be nice to have units that must not die specially marked
(BTW, also do not let Andulias die, because he comes with you for free,
even though unlike Landar he does not have a special role to play later on). And yes, this is a scenario with lots of assasins in the forest,
so although you should win it, it is not easy to protect your important units due to the low hit probability.

2)Elvish-Warrior-prince is I think EP's Elvish Prince from the Unrest in Elfland campaign. Worked fine for me, but I should recheck

So thanks for the speedy feedback. I will try to fix things ASAP.
Santi
sanna

Post by sanna »

santi wrote:If that is a problem, I must install 8.2 or 8.3 and figure out the correct directory structure
Ooops, I forgot to say that I had to add id=Elvish Elder etc in the unit-files in order for 0.8.3 to find them.

EDIT: Also, in Elvish Treasury changed

next_scenario=Saurian_Camp
to

next_scenario=Saurian_Treasury
since that is how the scenario identifies itself in Saurian_Camp.cfg (Not that I've gotten that far yet :P )
Last edited by sanna on August 31st, 2004, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanna

Post by sanna »

Dacyn wrote:Yes, the "Unrest in Elfland" campaign by EP.
Ah, I haven't installed that under 0.8.3 yet (usually uses upgrades to clean up, and don't let the new version automatically install)
Circon

Post by Circon »

[...]my playing the Dark Hordes campaign- not sure if there is a role for Kalenz there)
There is not. The Dark Hordes is fairly separate from the rest of the campaigns.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks Circon, one less thing to worry aboutjavascript:emoticon('8)')
Shade

I don't know if this helps :)

Post by Shade »

I don't know if this helps your campaign or not :) From IRC:

<isaac> why elf units doesn't know to throw fireballs?
<isaac> who taught Kalenz?
<C****ic> isaac: he discovered that himself, without expecting it. This first lesson burnt his hair, and that's the whole story behind his funky hair-dye.
<silene> :)
<C****ic> Some mutter it would be a wig, but not too loud for fear of receiving a fireball.

Some names have been partially obscured to prevent receiving fireballs. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I like these suggestions! But anyway the story here will be a little different. Technically there were two choices: Either start Kalenz as something that eventually evolves to Elvish Lord or transform him to Elvish Lord(hope this can be done in WML, I have not done it yet).
After the big battle in scenario 7, there will be a series of wacky
scenaria, culminating with something happening to Kalenz that has
both temporary and permament effects(he comes in contact with a weird mage- so does he become an elvish freak?) So this is where he learns to throw fireballs.
Bt hey, any suggestion is welcome, the story is still open to changes.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Seems a problem just to me, but anyway: I can't see the signposts in your campaign. This makes winning the first scenarios a bit difficult...
Any ideas?
When I managed to reach it in the first scenario it "functioned" anyway closing the scenario with the Victory Message.

Playing on BfW 0.8.2, MacOS 10.3.3

PS: Where the hack is the signpost in Hostile Mountains?

PS II: Nice campaign so far :)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

l'ultimo cruco:
Thanks for your comments.
There should be a new version coming out in a few days with hopefully better
compatibility(the campaign was tested under 7.10) and at least one more playable
scenario. With regard to the signpost questions, the first scenario signpost is
at x=1,y=30
In the second scenario it is at x= 18, y=37. This is not really relevant though, as you need to go through the trolls to get there and it's of course much faster to kill the troll leader and hence finish earlier and with more experience.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

santi wrote: In the second scenario it is at x= 18, y=37. This is not really relevant though, as you need to go through the trolls to get there and it's of course much faster to kill the troll leader and hence finish earlier and with more experience.
Ok, thanks. I found the signpost location, plundering through the scenario file. But stepping on it's location doesn't trigger the end scenario event :(
While waiting on the new release, I'll try to kill the troll leader, even if I'm a bit short of menpower...
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

First, you need to get Kalenz to the signpost, not anyone else.
Second, what oS and Wesnoth version are you running?
For versions > 8.0 or 8.1
setting in the cfg files The_uprooting and Hostile_mountains
items/signpost instead of whatever it is should make the signposts visible
Last, the little island is key. Basically in this scenario you have two choices: Either
retreat and let the dwarves and trolls fight it for a while or (as I prefer), fight for the small island with archers. Only recruit archers and try to get some to level off
recruit 2 scouts initially to seize all the mountain villages fast and apart from that ONLY archers. if you need to protect your archers(especially Landar who must not die), use the scouts as cannon fodder. Fighting is preferable because
-you gain experience
-you finish early and get gold which you will need in the next scenario
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Oops, thought you were referring to the first scenario. Yes, there was a bug in the initial version(not that I thought you could reach the signpost without killing the troll). It has been fixed in the new version and thanks for the report