[Historical] [1.7.x/1.8.x] Legend of Wesmere

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

Re: Mainline Campaign: Legend of Wesmere 1.7/1.8

Post by Jozrael »

It's not necessary, it's simply my preference. I prefer foreshadowing, done properly.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Question (and sorry if it has been answered before, but I want to avoid spoilers (apart from those in the last few posts here) so I can't read the whole thread): Is "Cliffs of Thoria" supposed to end at turn 12, even if I have completed neither objective? Because that's what happened to me - I finished turn 12 and after enemy attacks the mission ended suddenly even though I had killed only one enemy leader and was far from the signpost.

I am playing version 1.8.0.
It's not necessary, it's simply my preference. I prefer foreshadowing, done properly.
So far the most foreshadowing I have seen is when Cleo gets killed.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

You might win as follows: You fight trolls and Griffons(yetis are not a side, just random monsters). Say on turn 12 you killed the trolls and a Yeti that you cannot see because of the fog kills the enemy griffon leader. Then you win and this is what happened. So you got lucky, but getting lucky is also part of the game. If you do not like this, replay the scenario and it will have a different ending.
If it happens too often ,we might change this, but because of the random aspect it might be hard to balance...
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Wait, so I DON'T need to complete BOTH objectives? That changes everything. I thought I had to complete both, due to how they are written:
No mention of an alternative objective. Compare with:

If I have to complete just one, then it is most likely as you said and the griffon leader was killed by a yeti, which ended the mission (since I had already killed the trolls).

Thanks for clarifying that.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Usually you get an automatic win if you defeat all enemies(or all enemies are defeated-perhaps not by you). In this case you win
either by defeating all enemies(which is the easier task) or have Kalenz reach the signpost..... Same as in Hostile Mountains, where it's easier/faster to defeat the trolls than reach the signpost
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

The Walkthrough needs to be updated. There are several inaccuracies:
1) Cliffs of Thoria: According to the walkthrough the objective is "Move Kalenz to the signpost and defeat the enemy leaders" Not any more - as of 1.8.0 killing both enemy leaders is enough and you don't have to move Kalenz to the signpost
2) At medium difficulty the turn limit for Human Alliance was 20 turns, not 16
3) Elvish Assassins - as of 1.8.0 you start with no keep, just villages (2 keeps are occupied by allies and the other two by the enemies). So the advice about recruiting is moot. Besides, it is possible for Kalenz to reach the signpost in just 3 turns, without getting attacked a single time - if the southern enemy recruits level 2 fighters, like he did in my case, Kalenz will be out of reach (unless you move him to the wrong location)
4) Northern Battle and End of War - the walkthrough makes it sound as if you can recruit only level 1 units when you can recruit level 2 archers and fighters (Scouts and Shamans are level 1 only). A small number of level 2 units make both missions much easier. And as for "If you have been building a formidable "air force"..." - most of my "air force" turned out to have joined Landar - in fact I had just a Sylph and a Shaman to recall in "Northern Battle". Seems like that too has changed
Truper

Post by Truper »

Human Alliance, 1.8.

You have to be joking. That's all I'll say, and all that needs to be said.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Did Breaking the Siege get redesigned yet?
Founding Father of Columbia
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Not sure what the joke on Human Alliance is. Last time I checked the big difference compared to the original design was the massive orc reinforcements, which makes the scenario much harder(a good thing IMHO), but also robs one the satisfaction of
beating all enemies( I needed justa couple more rounds to finish off the remaining orcs).
And why does Breaking the Siege need to be redesigned?
TheBladeRoden

Re: I really dislike "Legend of Wesmere"...

Post by TheBladeRoden »

fabi wrote:
2. You are forced to play the way the creator of the campaign wants. The most significant example of this is in "Breaking the siege", where if you don't have a good amount of flying units you are screwed, since the map is huge and the snow doesn't allow normal units to move at a decent speed. I have only a sylph and a shyde, a part from Cleodil, and an enchantress, who cant' fly yet...
That is a known problem. Crab is redoing the map to make it faster for non flying units and less ugly.
I hope the new map will make it into 1.8. I am not a great map maker, every help is welcomed.
this
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Whatever. I don't think using all weapons available is in any way bad. It's like complaining because you cannot win HttT or TROW with horsemen alone...
BTW, the map is basically the Home of the North Elves from HttT, slightly extended. The ice is the main difference
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

santi wrote:Whatever. I don't think using all weapons available is in any way bad.
...and what he said was that he didn't have all weapons available.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

I think I'll take that as a "no" either way :lol2:
tr0ll

Re: [1.7.x/1.8.x] Legend of Wesmere

Post by tr0ll »

i'm playing in 1.8.4 and when the following message appears the value of $left_behind is empty, probably because Anduilas got killed in a previous scenario :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

message= _ "Before Kalenz left the Ka'lian he had ordered $left_behind to stay and guard it. Kalenz is from now on able to recruit Dwarves."
is this a WML bug or part of a new No Elf Left Behind affirmative action program :P
also the message doesnt really explain why he can recruit dwarves.
savegame attached in case it is needed
Attachments
LOW-Bounty_Hunters.gz
save showing missing elves
(34.26 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
AI
Developer

Re: [1.7.x/1.8.x] Legend of Wesmere

Post by AI »

Actually it was due to an incorrect variable name in the [switch] statement. Fixed in [rev]46302[/rev].