[Historical] Make Heir to the Throne the default campaign?

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

Re: Make Heir to the Throne the top/main/default campaign?

Post by Jozrael »

Sorry Turin <.<. Didn't mean to offend.

I agree Mist that the default campaign doesn't necessarily need to be the best. I think that HttT should be the 'top campaign', i.e., the default one.

I also think that AOI should be suggested at the end of the tutorial, like you said.

Cuz you're right, it doesn't have a story, but its the most friendly campaign for a new player. Original art isn't as important I feel for a newbie campaign, but yes, especially on the assassin level, someone needs to hardcore in what the AI is supposed to be doing. Possibly remove all but assassins as a recruit option, and just give him a handful of the other units at specific times or at the beginning.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I guess length is the main argument against it being a beginners campaign. In a long campaign bad playing in the first levels will get you into problems later when you don't have high level recruits. I guess there are quite a few who don't like to go a few scenarios back to get a better long time situation...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
vicza

Post by vicza »

torangan wrote:I guess length is the main argument against it being a beginners campaign. In a long campaign bad playing in the first levels will get you into problems later when you don't have high level recruits.
But on EASY level HTTT is quite easy. When I played it first time, I played quite bad, reached the last scenario with only few lvl2-3 units (7 units, actually, I checked the old save just now), and still could win it.

Another thing, the Manual should not suggest new players to begin from NORMAL level at once, as it does now. Some scenarios, like Elensefar, can be very hard on normal level.
Jozrael wrote:Cuz you're right, it doesn't have a story, but its the most friendly campaign for a new player. Original art isn't as important I feel for a newbie campaign, but yes, especially on the assassin level, someone needs to hardcore in what the AI is supposed to be doing. Possibly remove all but assassins as a recruit option, and just give him a handful of the other units at specific times or at the beginning.
It can be easily regulated by creating a clone unit (Orcish Assassin2), and giving him another "usage". And give player more gold after the "villageless" scenario.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

That would work better >=)~
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I agree that it makes sense to move Heir to the Throne to the top of the campaign list. I'd actually suggest going one further - perhaps putting a "Recommended" tag on it, or separating it from the other campaigns with a divider, or even both. It really is the canonical Wesnoth campaign, from which the game takes its name, so it makes sense to give it special prominence.

I'd hasten to add that this is not because it's the best campaign - I personally prefer UtBS, but honourable men can differ. I just think it's optimal for new players to play Heir to the Throne first, as it's the best campaign for teaching both gameplay and Wesnothian history/geography.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

As vicza pointed out earlier, HttT introduces a new player to almost every unit in the game. As far as my experience goes, this is a unique advantage it has over other wesnoth campaigns. This on top of good gameplay and an interesting story make it the best candidate for default campaign in my opinion.

Also, I don't think the length is much of an issue because after they beat the first few levels, a new player will hopefully have decided they like wesnoth and will have begun to explore other parts of the game like multiplayer. They might even stop playing HttT (not likely :wink: )without finishing; but by then it doesn't really matter because other campaigns and multiplayer will keep them interested without HttT.
(it might not always work like this, but thats how I got hooked :D )
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Hell, I found Liberty easier than HttT, even though it's listed as an intermediate campaign.
Founding Father of Columbia