The Hammer of Thursagan

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I like the addition of the free loyal Gryphon Rider in 1.3.14 a LOT, and i like the addition of the guardsmen, too. PLaying on Hard, they have much higher survivability than other unit types.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Bug report (could be the campaign, could be a game bug): On ending the first turn of the scenario where you first meet karrag, there was an error (the text of which i was unable to copy/paste) which said something about predicitions failing - i think it was an AI problem. I told it to retry once and then ignore, and the game crashed.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Same thing just happened to me on that level, Spaceinvader. I didn't get an error message, though, the game just quit.

I also had a problem even before the crash, which was that only certain of my units could attack.

I'm going to go see if the problem repeats.

Matt
"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory." - Neal Stephenson, "Snow Crash"
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Just discovered another problem: the mission objectives don't tell you not to lose Dulcatalos, though the little silver crown by his head does indicate his Do-Not-Lose status.

Anyway, at least the game didn't crash before the baddies retaliated!

Matt
"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory." - Neal Stephenson, "Snow Crash"
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Third time: the game crashed before the baddies retaliated.

Sigh.

I'm using 1.3.14 on a Mac, BTW.

Matt
ozean

crash at the end of 2nd round of Court of Karrag

Post by ozean »

I think that this is the same crash which I experienced. I posted on this and the post got moved (seems I chose the wrong place to post).

You can find the more detailed error report here (includes a crash log):
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19507
JimBass

Post by JimBass »

I experienced the same crash as others have seen in the Court of Karrag. I'm running SVN on Debian (v1.3.14+svn), updated an hour ago after I first experienced this . In my case, I tried to pick off all of Karrag's minions in the first round, leaving him alone. When I did that, the minute I ended my turn at the end of round 1, the game would crash out. I run everything from the terminal, so I'll post what appeared.

The problem was worked around by sending anyone to attack Karrag. Regardless of the success, as long as somebody took a shot at Karrag, I could end the turn, and the game would proceed to the AI attacks of round 1, then my turn for round 2. If I didn't attack Karrag, the game crashed out.

Code: Select all

jim@jimsworktop:~$ wesnoth
Battle for Wesnoth v1.3.14+svn
Started on Sat Jan 26 00:37:53 2008

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
set locale to ''
set locale to ''
no location found for 'data/campaigns/Invasion_of_Arendia/translations', not adding textdomain
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 250
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 15438
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 73075
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 0
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 0
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 0
loadscreen: parser counter = 81589
scenario: '11_The_Court_of_Karrag'
next_scenario: ''
20080126 00:38:23 error display: could not open image ''
wesnoth: attack_prediction.cpp:215: double&<unnamed>::prob_matrix::val(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int): Assertion `row < rows' failed.
Aborted
Peace,
JimBass
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

See https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?10876 which has been fixed now, both the WML and C++ side.
dfranke
Inactive Developer

Post by dfranke »

I think you should consider raising the minimum gold a bit for Forbidden Forest. Starting with the current minimum of 80 makes the scenario pretty much unwinnable without savescumming.

The rest of the campaign seems a bit on the easy side. Playing on challenging, I reached Forbidden Forest with only 6 losses: five L1 units and a steelclad. There aren't enough high-level enemies in later scenarios to make up for my veterans. The worst example here is Fear: I recalled two L2s and L3s, leveled up the L2s by attacking ulfserkers after first slowing them with Angarthing, and then just steamrolled through the rest of the enemy units. You need to have the enemy recruit at least 50% L2 units if this scenario is going to be any challenge at all.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I finished the campaign on hard in 1.3.14
Forbidden forest was no problem, once you realize you need to sacrifice a couple of lords to get the mage to the island, then maybe another one while you are escaping with the two leaders to the signpost.
This is a general tactic with the AI, also works if you need to save a wounded hi-level units: give the AI what it considers and easier target to beat up on. Here, rush with the main characters, the mage and 2-3 more units(assuming you start with 100 gold), and get the elves to converge on the following 2 lords.

Some other remarks:
Initially I had a problem in the scenario with the wolves, Trolls and griffons, because I got to the signpost with the loremaster(the names look too similar)-and ran out of time. Otherwise easy, just get there with the lord.

The last scenario was interesting, but painful: Cleared south, cleared, north, found the secret script, then went south again, looked everywhere, in fact sent my main army through the dead end(eastern spider path), and had to take it back, beat the ambushes, wiped out east and the first karrag west, then finally the real one,
in just over 150 turns. Is that a record for turns in a scenario?
dfranke
Inactive Developer

Post by dfranke »

That one extra recall would make a big difference, although I still suspect you had some luck on your side. I think 120 gold would make a good minimum.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I got the two heroes plus the mage I levelled in the previous scenario for free, I think. Then with 100 gold I recalled 5 lords and left for the central island with the mage and the heroes first. By the time the mage was approaching the island, he slowed down, so I could shield him with lords
from fast and unseen riders and other units. Meanwhile the elves concentrated on the last two lords left behind( a common tactic to save wounded units is to give the AI more attractive targets). This gave the mage time to reach the island and the magical thing, which bough us some more time when he died, killing all nearby elves. later on, near the signpost, the elves caught up with us again, but the best they could do is isolate another dwarvish lord-I think they got him eventually, while the two leaders plus another lord made it to the signpost. No stroke of luck was necessary. Poot play by the Ai maybe, but that's part of the game
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

I just played through most of this campaign on hard in version 1.3.18.
There is one error that causes a crash: there is no unit file for Masked Dwarvish Steelclad. I fixed this by copying and editing the file for the Dwarvish Steelclad.

I'm probably in the last scenario now (hunting the Lich, no turnmlimit). I've played with zero losses until now, although I had to retry some levels a couple of times. The gold balancing seems to be pretty good: I always had some left but never started a new scenario with more than 400. But in later scenarios it would be more challenging if opponents had access to more high level units: by now I have 20+ lvl3 or lvl2 units on the recall list. With lvl4 leadership and healing (2 White Mages / MoL), lvl1 opponents easily become cannon fodder even if they come in large numbers!

All in all it's a great campaign that nicely switches between different kinds of challenges and opponents, thereby keeping things interesting.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

1.3.19 - wanting to see my sprites in in-game action (already seen the Witness line by playing 1.3.18) i skipped through to the second-to-last scenario. The problems with portraits and images remain - Karrag's portrait doesn't show at all, and his sprite switches back to being the standard lich after his unmasking, and continues to use that when he's attacked. Similarly, Dulcatulos reverts to the standard Dwarvish Fighter portrait in this scenario - could this be to do with his being switched to the player's team?
claus

Re: New campaign: The Hammer of Thursagan

Post by claus »

The Scenario "Invaders" has some bugs in Wesnoth 1.4
a) If the bandits recapture a village the variable "cleared..." is not cleared (i think the capture event is not triggered, because of the bandits having no leader and so not really capturing the village)
b) If one of the capture events tries to create more bandits than free locations around it, the adjacent hexes are filled with bandits, but you get the "no bandits in this village" message. (That is because the possible_locations variable is generated before each bandit and if for example 5 bandits should be generated on 4 adjacent hexes, the possible_locations variable is empty in the end.)

Some more comments (playing on easy):
The Drake level: The turn limit was to high (finished with lots of gold)

Siege of Kal Kartha: The allied dwarf nearly lost, because of fighting in grassland

Underlevels: The hidden entrance to the chamber of the right Lich was misplaced (the door Symbol was not where the passage opened)
Karrag has to pay upkeep for his guards (Wondered why he did not recruit and after playing the level, i hacked a save game to turn the shroud off. Using the status table I saw that he had less gold than I (I was at about -3500, he had less than -5000 gold, with negative income).