[Historical] Under the Burning Suns - Dev Version (1.3.8+)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

[Historical] Under the Burning Suns - Dev Version (1.3.8+)

Post by Rhuvaen »

Wesnoth 1.3.8 (which is out now) contains some reworked scenarios for UtBS. I'll use this thread to discuss major changes and link to critical fixes for the campaign in general. I appreciate your feedback, and there's a few ways you can give it:

The Under the Burning Suns feedback thread is great for scenario-specific feedback of all kinds.

Submitting a bug on the tracker if you feel you have found a new bug this will make sure it won't get missed. Note: attaching a savegame would help but it's not required.

You can also check the status of UtBS bugs on the tracker. It would be nice if you could check first if you can add to an existing bug rather than open a new one.

If you encounter any blocker-level bugs in the current dev version I encourage you to post in this thread if you prefer.

The 1.3.8 version of UtBS has all the major blockers fixed, except the unstoning bug in scenario 9. A fix for that bug can be found in the svn repository (link below). Scenarios 1 to 3 have been reworked, with the most extensive changes to Across the Harsh Sands.

Unfortunately, a bug has crept into the 1.3.8 release of Across the Harsh Sands that severely imbalances the scenario and I urge you strongly to download the scenario from the link below.

Also, I found a bug with the orcs not appearing and a special event not firing on an enemy leader's death in scenario 3.

The following revisions of the scenario fix these issues and will work with 1.3.8:
2 - Across the Harsh Sands
3 - A Stirring in the Night

9 - Blood is Thicker Than Water

Just put them into "<your wesnoth installation folder>/data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios". I deleted the attachment because simply linking to the svn repository is more straightforward.

I hope you continue to enjoy this campaign. :)
Last edited by Rhuvaen on September 30th, 2007, 5:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Drake General

Post by Drake General »

Thanks for fixing it up, but I can't find the 1.3.8 download, as you said it was aviable.
I don't rock the world.
How can I rock the world if I don't understand all of it?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it's actually not available yet, Rhuaven was a bit early... the sources have been taged, but the release hasn't been anounced yet...

just wait a couple of days...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

It's out now. :)

I've added Blood is Thicker Than Water to the list - the blocking bug has been fixed now (but not in 1.3.8 - you need to download the files, above, to get it to work).

The campaign is still very rough in places (missing unit images, events not firing, sides missing)... it will take a while to get it all sorted out but more or less you should be able to play it to the end now.
no driver

Post by no driver »

I am running 1.3.8 in Windows with the entire campaign directory replaced with what's in the current SVN (downloaded yesterday or maybe the day before).

In the second scenario, the fire mage always seems to disappear right after being added to the map. Her attackers, however, remain. So it goes...

I can attach a saved game if you want.

ETA: added an entry on the bug tracker with an attached save game.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you shouldn't replace the whole UTBS directory... only the scenario that was pointed as bad, and using the one on the original post...

the problem is that other things have already changed in UTBS, including the campfire images...

and you don't have the new images since they are part of core and not UTBS.

could you plese add a comment to your bug stating that, so we can close it ? thx
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

no driver wrote:In the second scenario, the fire mage always seems to disappear right after being added to the map. Her attackers, however, remain. So it goes...
Thanks for the bug report, my first post now links to the fixed version in the trunk repository. :)

EDIT: did you have any other problems? One thing I'd be interested in is if the Outlaw leader recruited properly (near the end of the scenario).

BTW, I think replacing the whole of UtBS is no problem if you're using 1.3.8 (but any version prior to that wouldn't work).
no driver

Post by no driver »

I haven't played past the point where Elyssa should be generated yet, but I'll let you know if I notice any other weirdness.

I had actually put the SVN campaign into 1.3.7 while I was waiting for 1.3.8 to be released for Windows and it introduced several bugs, as Boucman alluded to, but most of them went away once I had upgraded to 1.3.8. I waited to report anything until I was playing the correct base version...
no driver

Post by no driver »

I haven't gone back to replay the second scenario yet with your latest fix, but when I was playing through that scenario the outlaw leader did not recruit. I've never beat UTBS before (I always used to get bogged down in the dwarves vs trolls scenario), but I'm near the end now.

In Out of The Frying Pan, once I got to face the humans I lost both Nym and Zhul without losing the scenario. I did lose the scenario when I lost Kaleh, but he died after Nym and Zhul so I'm not sure if he would have caused me to lose on his own. Of course I replayed it a bit safer and finished with all of the major characters, but I thought I'd point this out.

Also, when I first played this campaign back when I first tried BfW, there was no dust devil. He's easily the most powerful character in the campaign, and I think the combination of his attacks and free movement make some things possible that the original creator of the campaign hadn't considered. For instance, once I had things under control in Blood is Thicker Than Water, I had decided to explore the rest of the map with Dusty while the rest of my forces dealt with the humans and elves, so I had already captured all of the ships before I killed Eloh and Tanstafaal. When the objective changed the scenario ended pretty quickly. I love having the dust devil around, but maybe a few issues like this should be addressed somehow in future campaign updates.

One way to fix the above problem is to have the island where the ships are populated with baddies from the beginning of the scenario and only have them wake up if the third objective is activated or if the dust devil gets in. They may still be defeated by Dusty alone, but it wouldn't be the cakewalk it is now to get the third objective completed.

Overall I'm really enjoying this campaign, and I'm glad I'm good enough now to keep advancing through the story. Out of the Frying Pan, in particular, was a lot of fun, with the trouble of recruiting the right amount of help at the beginning to get through the cave but not be out of money when you have to face the humans later on, plus all the crazy stuff that's going on in the caves themselves.

Thanks for taking up the challenge of maintaining and improving this campaign!
silver mage

Post by silver mage »

It seems that the attack strengths of units aren't returned to their "correct" values when scenario 2 ends.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Just found a minor bug : in "The morning after" when an anemy bat reclaim one of the villages that where owned by the necromencer it gots the same massage as when you did it (I hope the elves ar all right or something like tah)
Mr. Wednesday

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

Sly wrote:Just found a minor bug : in "The morning after" when an anemy bat reclaim one of the villages that where owned by the necromencer it gots the same massage as when you did it (I hope the elves ar all right or something like tah)
The same (or very similar) happened for me... a skeleton took over a village that I had claimed with the horse, and I got a message about bloodstained walls that I had already seen when I took that village (or one of the nearby ones) myself.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Thanks Sly and Mr Wednesday, I could track this down and it will be fixed in the next release. :)

EDIT: I've also taken no driver's suggestion into account and have reworked the Dust Devil completely.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Rhuvaen wrote:EDIT: I've also taken no driver's suggestion into account and have reworked the Dust Devil completely.
Yeah I think the Dust Devil has too much free movement : maybe giving him a movement cost of 2 over shallow water and in caves, and even
restraining him from moving over deep water, like the Shyde and the Star :wink:

Ah and also he often trigger events, what seems strange that a Dust Devil would talk :o (maybe making Nym, who freed him, talk in his place ?)
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Sly wrote:Yeah I think the Dust Devil has too much free movement : maybe giving him a movement cost of 2 over shallow water and in caves, and even
restraining him from moving over deep water, like the Shyde and the Star :wink:
Good point, I've already lowered his movement a little but was thinking of restricting water movement, too.

My changes mainly affected his combat function - he was a way too good ranged killer, and his ranged attacks got better with every AMLA. Now his ranged attack has the swarm special rather than marksman, and his hp have been lowered somewhat and his resistances altered. He gets a custom limited regeneration in return (on sand and dirt terrain).

Sly wrote:Ah and also he often trigger events, what seems strange that a Dust Devil would talk :o (maybe making Nym, who freed him, talk in his place ?)

Good point. That would be cumbersome to do, actually... it means manually changing a few dozen events?

One of the main changes in the next version is going to be Kaleh's advancements. I've made a custom advancement tree where you can gradually develop him in one of several directions on advancement (of which there are more), with a few custom abilities that only he can get.