Son of the Black Eye

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Son of the Black Eye

Post by Development Team »

This is the main development thread for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye. The original first post for this thread follows.
Taurus wrote:Because the old thread was getting pretty big and bulky, and much of the content is now irrelevant, I am starting up this thread to discuss any input anyone may have on the campaign, Son of the Black Eye.

For the sake of reference, the old thread may be found here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 88&start=1
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

I have noticed something about the Back Home level:

While at the end, the game displays both the gold retained by Kapou'e and Gruu, you recieve only Kapou'e's share for the next level. Is this intended?

Also, considering the number of villages in this level, shouldn't it have a higher per turn bonus?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Xandria wrote:I have noticed something about the Back Home level:

While at the end, the game displays both the gold retained by Kapou'e and Gruu, you recieve only Kapou'e's share for the next level. Is this intended?
To be honest, this issue never really crossed my mind. But now that you bring it up, I think that it is good the way it is, otherwise you would get the bonus on the villages twice unless it is split somehow which leads us to your seccond question...
Also, considering the number of villages in this level, shouldn't it have a higher per turn bonus?
I never did the math myself, but it is something I'll look into. However, as it is, it shouldn't affect overall gameplay since the next scenario is balanced to roughly the amount of gold you should have left over from 'Back Home'.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Hm. Have to replay "Back Home" then.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
dthurston

Time limits in "Civil War"

Post by dthurston »

I found the time limits in "Civil War" to be almost impossibly short. I've tried twice now, and both times arrived at the last orc just one or two turns too late to finish him off.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I haven't gone over that scenario in a little while, but the stratagy I found works best is to split your force into two groups to take out the different leaders in the south eastern corner and the north western corner. As soon as you start getting a bit shy on turns, send Kapoue to the leader in the south west along with a pick of units from either or both of the strike groups. Take him out and head for the signpost. It's a bit tight for turns, but that's where the difficulty lies :-)

vonBureck

Post by vonBureck »

Taurus wrote:
Xandria wrote:I have noticed something about the Back Home level:

To be honest, this issue never really crossed my mind. But now that you bring it up, I think that it is good the way it is, otherwise you would get the bonus on the villages twice unless it is split somehow
I also think it would make sense to get both Kapou'e's and Gruu's share of gold, to ensure the same effect as you'd have if the army wasn't divided up for the Back Home scenario. I found (and I expect I'm not alone) that Gruu ends up with tons more gold because of lower upkeep for his mostly lvl1 units and lots more villages than in the south - on the easiest setting, Gruu got 500 gold vs Kapou'e's 180. Dunno how this is balancing-wise, but I found having just Kapoue's gold was far too little for the next scenario. Still, I'm not exactly a great player, so maybe it's only me :).
vonBureck

Minor bug report

Post by vonBureck »

Also in the Back Home scenario, I found a minor bug. If it's Kapou'e that kills Mkel, he ends up talking to himself about the shamans (i.e. Kapou'e tells Kapou'e to look in the lake, and Kapou'e comes back to tell Kapou'e the shamans are dead :)).
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I also think it would make sense to get both Kapou'e's and Gruu's share of gold, to ensure the same effect as you'd have if the army wasn't divided up for the Back Home scenario. I found (and I expect I'm not alone) that Gruu ends up with tons more gold because of lower upkeep for his mostly lvl1 units and lots more villages than in the south - on the easiest setting, Gruu got 500 gold vs Kapou'e's 180. Dunno how this is balancing-wise, but I found having just Kapoue's gold was far too little for the next scenario. Still, I'm not exactly a great player, so maybe it's only me
You may call it personal preference if you like, but I am more inclined to keep things as they are. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next round of ballancning.
Also in the Back Home scenario, I found a minor bug. If it's Kapou'e that kills Mkel, he ends up talking to himself about the shamans (i.e. Kapou'e tells Kapou'e to look in the lake, and Kapou'e comes back to tell Kapou'e the shamans are dead
Yeah, that is an annoyence. I'll see if I can fix that when I get a chance...

Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

I'm playing on version 1.3.6 and Inarix has no name at all (just blank). Seems the bug has morphed into another one... :D
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Angry Andersen wrote:I'm playing on version 1.3.6 and Inarix has no name at all (just blank). Seems the bug has morphed into another one... :D
Now that is pretty annoying! But thanks again Andersen - I am in the process of submiting the fix.

Truper

Small Bug

Post by Truper »

I'm playing with 1.3.6.

Gruu does not use the Troll Hero sprite, but that of a normal Troll, and when he levels, he uses the Troll Warrior sprite.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Small Bug

Post by zookeeper »

Truper wrote:Gruu does not use the Troll Hero sprite, but that of a normal Troll, and when he levels, he uses the Troll Warrior sprite.
Of course he does, because no better alternatives exist.
Truper

Post by Truper »

An alternative exists, so I guess the question then becomes: is the alternative better? There is a Troll Hero sprite that is still used in some UMC, and if I am not mistaken, it originally came from this campaign. Why is it no longer used? The current situation is a bit like having Konrad represented by a Loyalist Sergeant...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Truper wrote:An alternative exists, so I guess the question then becomes: is the alternative better?
Nope, which is why I said "better alternative".
Truper wrote:There is a Troll Hero sprite that is still used in some UMC, and if I am not mistaken, it originally came from this campaign. Why is it no longer used?
Because it, quite frankly, looks like crap next to the other units.

EDIT: And the troll hero and great troll are just trolls and troll warriors with a better melee attack, not unique in any way. So it doesn't really matter almost at all.