Northern Rebirth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Molean

Re: Northern Rebirth - Mainline

Post by Molean »

I said at the very top, "I've been playing this campaign on swordsman/difficult"

Oh and Im not done with it, I am at turn 6 of the eastern front.
Molean

Post by Molean »

I just finished the map Eastern flank, I lost. I did start to punch through to the leaders, but I still needed a few extra turns to kill them. Man though this map is a long slog, like many of your maps. I was fighting as ferociously as I could during the day and withdrawing a bit at night (still many units died against my dwarves & night units during the night.) I especially redoubled my efforts around turn, I think it was 35 or so, which caused some valuable unit loss. I controlled about half the map or more the whole game. (took ground as time went on) Yet it wasn't enough.

My autosaves only go back 10 turns. I think I might have a few saves from quits and continues, I hope I can find one at the right point and don't have to start all over again. Something I really want to avoid, even though it doesn't take a long time for the AI to decide each unit move like in the old friend map, it has so many units to move, it still takes awhile for the AI to finish its moves. It has taken many many hours of my time to reach this failed ending.

These large scale battles are interesting I suppose, but it would be nice for the purposes of time saving if they were slightly less, loooong. I don't know, I just find this frustrating.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Molean wrote:My autosaves only go back 10 turns. I think I might have a few saves from quits and continues, I hope I can find one at the right point and don't have to start all over again.
You can replay any save and just save again at whatever point you like.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Molean

Post by Molean »

Soliton, what gave you the idea that I needed to be told such a obvious thing? If I didn't make a save at X point, obviously I can't load the save I didn't make.

BTW, after a number of attempts and many many hours spent, I beat the map in 34 turns and got a thousand and some bonus gold for it. It seems this time the AI was slow to summon its hords, I managed to get my leader to the enemies castle and recruit disposable soldiers in the right spots to block and distract the AI while I attacked.

Soliton, please try to see if you can answer my question regarding the stolen gold map and whether eliminating two enemy leaders right off the bat like that ruins the challenge scale. Was that how the map was meant to work?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Molean wrote:Soliton, what gave you the idea that I needed to be told such a obvious thing? If I didn't make a save at X point, obviously I can't load the save I didn't make.
Ok, I'll try again. The obvious thing I told you is that you can load any savegame with the replay check box checked. Let the replay run to turn X and save. Voila, you have a save from turn X now that you can load and continue playing. So thus you can always produce savegames from earlier turns.

And, I'm not the author of that scenario so I wouldn't know but afair I've always played it like that.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Molean

Post by Molean »

Oh, ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding. And thankyou for the info.:)
Yeran

Post by Yeran »

Anyone else facing a gamecrash if Stalrag dies in the very last mission?
Molean

Post by Molean »

I can't get past the map where you surround the enemy on four sides, not sure if that is the last map. Its just too much for my poor CPU etc. to handle, slows to a crawl early on.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

I really don't like the tomato surprise on the sixth mission. You get no prior warning, it absurdly slows the game down, and it can be completely avoided.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

tomato?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yes, tomato surprise. Served by three ginormous, blood-thirsty hordes, no less.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Truper

Post by Truper »

Was it recently made much more difficult to retrieve the Rod of Justice in The Pursuit? I've played this campaign perhaps half a dozen times in the past, and never in any of my previous attempts has Malifor respawned at 14,4 (the central hex of The Great Chamber). When he respawns there, not only does one have to deal with a swarm of giant spiders, but an Ancient Lich as well, making it less than worthwhile to attempt to retrieve the Rod. I'm playing 1.7.5. I can't recall when last I played the campaign, but it was probably under 1.6. I don't recall seeing any changes to this scenario in the changelog, so I'm wondering what's going on.

I've tried looking at the WML to try to figure out what I can kill him with so that he will respawn at 23,4, the only location that makes retrieving the Rod worthwhile, but I have no hope of understanding it. It seems to me it used to be easier to do.

I'd honestly recommend making 23,4 the only place at which he can respawn. The scenario is incredibly long and gruelling, and compelling players to experiment with what weapon type they can kill an Ancient Lich in a cave to get the best result seems unnecessarily tortuous. Having to kill him twice is enough, and by the time a player reaches the end of this scenario, he deserves the Rod ;)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

well, first kill the spiders, then attack Malifor.
Ruksa

Stalrag needs antidepressants

Post by Ruksa »

Trying to play settling disputes and Stalrag uses his first turn to move into the unoccupied village to the southeast, even though he's beside my healer. Somehow he's promptly slain by a nearby troll, (again) even though he has about... 1/2 a hitpoint. Endless amusement!
Rather than fix the AI, just adjust the plot so that Tallin is rescuing Hamel's moronic half-brother, who's on a pilgrimage to the lead paint factory for the 3 o' clock lunch buffet.
But I guess that's anachronistic
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

That's a known annoyance - no matter where you put your troops, and how well you zoc-protect Hamel, he tends to get himself stupidly and annoyingly killed. One solution is simply to use the debug tool to take control of the unit, and either keep him still or move him to a sensible place. But that is, technically, cheating...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.