Northern Rebirth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: Northern Rebirth

Post by Ceres »

There's a bug in 06a_Old_Friend.cfg:388.

Code: Select all

[store_locations]
   range=10
range isn't part of the SLF, it should be radius.
That causes Tallin to always shout to get out of the caves and kill everybody, even if there's like a screen full of enemies blocking the way.

Who's the current maintainer by the way?
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Ceres wrote:Who's the current maintainer by the way?
Nobody is, but I've been thinking about requesting to become it for some time now so I'll take this opportunity to ask.

Would I be able to be the maintainer of this campaign? I'm not really sure if I should give more information on what I plan to do as the maintainer, but I guess all I can say is I'll do what maintainers do, in addition to possibly finishing the evil branch? I know Wesbane was working on a add-on version of it, but that was a year ago and there's been no more mention of it since then.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Pewskeepski wrote:I know Wesbane was working on a add-on version of it, but that was a year ago and there's been no more mention of it since then.
To be precise last release happened on 30th December 2010 so year didn't pass since then at the time of posting this comment. And cutting any further questions on this subject: Yes I'm working on this. Official answer for completion of a branch is IIRWIIR. But since some obviously can not sleep until new version of a remake will be published unfortunately I will have to make a half release.
Ceres wrote:There's a bug in 06a_Old_Friend.cfg
As for bugs remake have much less of them so if you are interested in playing rebirth you can surely play it forked version since it somewhat improved to original one.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Since the feature freeze is coming up, I want to renew my objections to the "this unit" language staying in the Rod of Justice option dialogue. This is not to say that the developers should replace it with my dialogue in particular, rather that referring to a unit in-game as a "unit" takes the player out of the fictional world; it works against the effect that the designers are trying to achieve by giving units names, portraits, sprites, and so forth. I already explained that I switched from $unit.name to first-person because all the other option dialogues in scenario 5 were in first-person. Still, if the developers do not want to write dialogue, $unit.name would be better than "this unit."
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I found a typo in the story of the level "Old Friend".
They found Hamel in a forge hammering away at a new axe. He greeted them warmly and arrangements were quickly made for all their food and accommodations, as wall as care for the sick and wounded.
As wall?

P.S. Great campaign. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I would like to suggest to make Krash one of the needed units before he becomes the leader of the drakes -> when you let him die before "Stolen Gold" you will not know what you lost and the scenarios will become unbeatable (when i first played this campaign some years ago, Krash died in "The Pursuit" and then i began in "Stolen Gold" to wonder who that empty side is, even though I managed to win the scenario, I didnt have ANY chance to beat the next one (only managed to survive till the turns run out))

even if you dont give him him a silver crown icon, at least tell the player that it will be extremely hard to win without Krash

“Eastern Flank”
way to hard, only made it by cheating me some luck on my second try in the last 5 turns
BUT that was probably because of the missing finish bonus in “Stolen Gold”
→ the units I could have recruited/recalled from that gold would have been enough I think

maybe I just played it wrong, please look at my replay and tell me what I did wrong

“Get the Gold”
no early finish bonus
no recovered gold (I start the next scenario with the retained gold/standard starting gold, instead of the recovered amount of gold)
the scenario has more sides then required → as many sides as the last scenario has

“Showdown”
Without any gold its hopeless (initial 1900 gold versus 12500). That is all I have to say.

Edit:
im taking my statement regarding the situation in "Showdown" back. Immortal White Mages are overpowered. Will post a replay when the scenario is over.

Btw, the aggro of the enemy ai is to hard on Tallins army

Northern Rebirth
“Epilogue”
the map is different from the fortress in “Showdown”

wrong word
“If a chieftain refused to co-operate with the Alliance, he was forcibly removed from his post and another more favourably disposed put in his place.”
maybe it should be “... favourably then the disposed put in...”
or “... favourably candidate/orc put in...”
Attachments
NR-Showdown_replay.gz
(212.93 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
NR-The_Eastern_Flank_replay.gz
(287.04 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
Last edited by Konrad2 on January 4th, 2016, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

version 1.13.2, NR scenario 02
When Zlex (the only loyal unit) dies, this error appears on the screen:

Code: Select all

<WML> No matching units found in [role]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

This forum seems quite dead is there another place i should post feedback on northern rebirth?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The_Gnat wrote: April 15th, 2017, 1:43 am This forum seems quite dead is there another place i should post feedback on northern rebirth?
Github.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Is it actually campaign feedback or a bug report / enhancement request ?
There is a forum for gameplay feedback.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

While you are right about that, it still is more likely that your idea/suggestion/report get's noticed on github in comparision of the forums. I reported a bug more than 3 years ago, nothing. And then I created an issue on github for it and it was handled in a few weeks. xD
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

It's not that the forums are dead, it's that there are too less persons working on campaigns. (Pick a number between 1 and 3)

Posting on GitHub is not exactly solving this underlying issue, it's just more prominently.

It are 17 mainline campaigns after all, and there is much which one could do with each of them to improve it…
Starting from fixing actual bugs, improving the balance to taking advantage of things which didn't exist years ago when the campaigns were written, e.g. better AI settings or new terrain types.

And there are things which are better discussed here, or done by players, such a balance.
Try out the dark board theme.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: July 28th, 2018, 2:48 pm
The_Gnat wrote: April 15th, 2017, 1:43 am This forum seems quite dead is there another place i should post feedback on northern rebirth?
Github.
Thank you! Actually I have completely forgotten what I was going to say it has been so long :lol:
egallager

Post by egallager »

I made a bunch of changes to this campaign when playing thru it; they can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_mods/tree/master/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth
To summarize:
  • It makes sense to allow Tallin to recruit Ruffians, too, in the early part of the campaign, as they fit with the "rough and scrappy peasant brigade" flavor of Tallin's initial forces. Sometimes you just need to spend that last little bit of gold, and Ruffians having impact damage makes them a good choice when you're facing undead.
  • Later in the campaign, it makes sense to allow Tallin to recruit Fencers, too, after Hamel makes him armor and weapons. Maps get clogged up really easily in Northern Rebirth, so having a unit with skirmisher is helpful in that regards.
  • Camerin's cabin is hard to reach in the 2nd scenario; more so than I remember it being when I played previously years ago. I had to nerf the trolls majorly to get thru to him.
  • In general many maps in this campaign could use more villages
  • In the final scenario, the orcish AI doesn't focus on Hamel enough. This resulted in the odd situation where Hamel's dwarves were killing Rakshas just as the orcs were overwhelming me at my own base. If the orcs hadn't focused on me as much, they could have protected themselves against Hamel better. Probably the AI could do with some tweaking.
While I have diffs implementing some of these changes (present in the repository linked above), they probably need some massaging before I can submit them as a pull request...
Edit: a draft of a pull request version of these diffs can be found here: #6057
Last edited by egallager on September 27th, 2021, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

egallager wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:17 am I made a bunch of changes to this campaign when playing thru it; they can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_ ... rn_Rebirth
To summarize:
  • It makes sense to allow Tallin to recruit Ruffians, too, in the early part of the campaign, as they fit with the "rough and scrappy peasant brigade" flavor of Tallin's initial forces. Sometimes you just need to spend that last little bit of gold, and Ruffians having impact damage makes them a good choice when you're facing undead.
I made a similar ruffian change to my version of NR as well! I added a modded unit that looks like the peasant but advances to the Thug, Poacher, Bowman, Spearman.