Art issues for Mainline Campaigns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Art issues for Mainline Campaigns

Post by Eleazar »

Several campaigns have been added to mainline in the development version, to allow more devs to fix them up. However higher standards will be used to determine weather these campaigns stay in mainline once the next stable release comes around.

This thread will identify the art blockers and problems in the development mainline campaigns. "Blockers" are objective failures to meet these criterion. "Problems" are less important but count as "negative points" against the campaign's continuation in mainline.

As problems are dealt with they will be marked off the list. This thread is not for developing replacement art, but polished art in other treads may be linked to.

Discussion of changes/additions to this list should happen in this thread, but please, the list itself should only be edited by Art Devs, (and/or Zookeeper if he wants to add sound & animation issues to this list).

Campaign maintainers: Please to not immediately delete or remove the art flagged in this thread. Give the community time to fix it, and delete/remove only when the next stable release draws near.

x Items marked like this (olive) have been dealt with
• Items marked like this (indigo) have been partially dealt with
Last edited by Eleazar on May 11th, 2007, 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Descent into Darkness:

Blockers:
x Giant rat has no frames. And a non-black, non-transparent shadow. Frames might be optional due to the unusual size of the unit(s). This would be a very easy unit to give "swarm" to.
Problems:
• Darken Volk's portrait not in the same style as the rest.

Eastern Invasion

Problems:
• Owaec units are a little crude.

Heir to the Throne

Problems:
• Some story images are in a markedly different, and less attractive style

Northern Rebirth

Problems:
x The hatchling has no frames (it's a fake unit.)

Sceptre of Fire

Blockers:
• Caravan has no frames (needs at least a defense frame)
Problems:
• Dwarvish miner sprites don't match mainline quality.

Son of the Black Eye

Problems:
• Tower doesn't match any other Wesnoth graphics.
• The orcish shamans are still pretty ugly.

The Rise of Wesnoth

Problems:
• The story pictures are of very different styles, and some are unpolished.
• the Noble Protagonist looks like a slob.

The South Guard

Problems:
• The story images look really bad.
• Ethiliel portrait doesn't really match.

The Two Brothers
Problem:
• The Bjarn portrait doesn't really match the Arne one.

Under the Burning Suns

Blockers:
• Have no frames:
-- • flesh-golem
-- • dust-devil
-- • spider lich
-- • Naga Guardian
-- • Naga Sentinel
-- • Naga Warden
• Out of date unit graphics:
-- • Naga hunter
Problems:
• Unit graphics that need work:
-- • dread lich
-- • skeleton rider[/quote]
Last edited by Eleazar on December 8th, 2007, 4:51 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
esr
Retired Developer

Northern Rebirt: Tallin's portrait

Post by esr »

Tallin's portrait looks a bit too sly and foxy.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

For SoF:

1) The caravan having no attack frame is not a blocker, as the unit cannot attack.

2) In my opinion, it having no defense frame is not a blocker, because it doesn't really make sense for it to have a defense frame anyway, but that's open to debate. I can whip up a defense frame if one is really necessary, but I would prefer not to, since it would IMHO be a wasted KB.

3) The Haldric II unit isn't strictly necessary, and we can change it back to a General if we don't get any art for it. I would prefer for him to be a custom unit though.

4) Where does it use the old hero icon?

For EI:

1) Pickslide did both the Konrad II portrait and the other ones, but he did the other ones much later in time... want me to email him and see if he wants to do a revised Konrad II?

2) I can de-hardify the shadows on Owaec, it'll take 10 minutes.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

List updated.

Comments:
turin wrote:For SoF:

2) In my opinion, it having no defense frame is not a blocker, because it doesn't really make sense for it to have a defense frame anyway, but that's open to debate. I can whip up a defense frame if one is really necessary, but I would prefer not to, since it would IMHO be a wasted KB.
Downgraded this one to "Problem ?".
turin wrote:4) Where does it use the old hero icon?
i'm only going through the images folders. So i don't know if you actually use it, but it's in images/misc/
turin wrote:For EI:

1) Pickslide did both the Konrad II portrait and the other ones, but he did the other ones much later in time... want me to email him and see if he wants to do a revised Konrad II?
That would be ideal. This is one of the "pickier" items, but would certainly improve the feel of the campaign.
Attempting Lucidity
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Northern Rebirth
Blockers:
• Many portraits are unfinished black and white.

Problems:
• The fire dragon is really cute, and has a hard-edge shadow.
• The hatchling has no frames (which is OK if it's a fake unit)
I was under the impression that having good black/white portraits are better then having no portraits at all. Anyhow, Jetryl says he is working on them, and I have also been getting a bit of help in the art Workshop forum.

About the Fire Dragon, since it was already in RoW, I decided to use it. Otherwise it is possible to have it removed and replaced with something else.

The hatchling image IS a fake unit. It is just an image that is layered on the map for visual appeal.

Son of the Black Eye
Problems:
• Does the map match standard Wesnoth geography?
Come to think of it, you are right about the tower, it looks more Oriental then Wesnothian.

About the map, check the Wesnoth geography page under the section "The Far North".
esr wrote:Tallin's portrait looks a bit too sly and foxy.
I mentioned this to Jetryl and he says he is on top of it.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

List updated...
Taurus wrote:
Northern Rebirth
Blockers:
• Many portraits are unfinished black and white.

Problems:
• The fire dragon is really cute, and has a hard-edge shadow.
• The hatchling has no frames (which is OK if it's a fake unit)
I was under the impression that having good black/white portraits are better then having no portraits at all. Anyhow, Jetryl says he is working on them, and I have also been getting a bit of help in the art Workshop forum.
I probably should have put that under "problems" in the first place, but it's unlikely to matter, as colorization is happening at a good rate.
Taurus wrote:About the Fire Dragon, since it was already in RoW, I decided to use it. Otherwise it is possible to have it removed and replaced with something else.
By Harping on this dragon, i'm really hoping someone will make something better, since non-standing frames can now be bigger than the hex.

Taurus wrote:
Son of the Black Eye
Problems:
• Does the map match standard Wesnoth geography?
Come to think of it, you are right about the tower, it looks more Oriental then Wesnothian.

About the map, check the Wesnoth geography page under the section "The Far North".
IIRC there was a thread complaining about those maps. I don't remember exactly the issue, but neither do i see the relevance of a wiki page that simply lists the features on the map.

The problem with the tower is the rendering style: thick black outlines, mostly flat color.
Attempting Lucidity
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Is there a new demilich unit somewhere?
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

joshudson wrote:Is there a new demilich unit somewhere?
Not that i know of. If there is, someone, please reveal the location.
Attempting Lucidity
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I updated a few issues that have been dealt with accordingly in the list.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I'm not sure if this is a campaign issue or not, but AFAIK the Spearman is still basically facing straight forward unlike the other units.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just like the Swordsman. I actually consider it a good pose for anything except frankenstaining. ;)

And another downside is what will happen to them when we get to have different frames for n, ne, nw, s, se, sw, e and w facings. :o
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

And pikeman, halberdier and royal guard, too...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

irrevenant wrote:I'm not sure if this is a campaign issue or not, but AFAIK the Spearman is still basically facing straight forward unlike the other units.
That IMHO isn't ideal, but is not a big enough issue to warrant inclusion on this list. I believe there are quite a few others.
Attempting Lucidity
Query

Post by Query »

Just for your list, Eleazar, it's Descent into Darkness, not Decent. Unfortunately, there's nothing decent about darkness. :wink:

whatever do you mean? :P
-- turin, corrector of typos
Last edited by Query on September 10th, 2007, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.