[Historical] Wanted: "general purpose campaign maintainer"

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

[Historical] Wanted: "general purpose campaign maintainer"

Post by ivanovic »

We're looking for volunteers to maintain some of the mainline campaigns. We're looking for one or more persons who maintain all content in mainline and keep it in a good shape. This group can also modify unmaintained campaigns in mainline as they see fit.

This job includes :
- fixing bugs in all mainline campaigns
- update mainline campaigns regarding new WML / units / terrains etc
- test for balancing
- upload modified campaigns by their author (if they do not have or want svn themselves)
- inherit mainline campaigns whose maintainer no longer wants to do that job

The following campaigns are without a maintainer and will be done by the campaign devs:
- The South Guard (only partly maintained by Eleazar— art & light WML only)
- Heir to the Throne (maybe maintained by Mist)
- The Rise of Wesnoth

The following campaigns have their own maintainer:
- A Tale Of Two Brothers - Ivanovic
- Eastern Invasion - Turin (but feel free to take-over the maintenance, only bugfixes will be done)
- Under the Burning Suns - Mist

The following new campaigns will be added in 1.3.3 and are maintained:
- Northern Rebirth - Taurus
- Son of the Black Eye - Taurus
- Sceptre of Fire - Turin (mainly bugfixes?)
- Descent into Darkness - Baufo

The job of a "general purpose campaign maintainer" will mainly concentrate on fixing bugs and improving content without having a "definite" campaign that is only theirs. ATM zookeeper is doing such a job and he can need some helping hands. What you should know already (or be willing to learn):
- being able to handle rather strange WML, some of them leftovers of hacks from pre 1.0.x (eg some parts in TSG)
- working with svn for commits
- willing to play a campaign more than once (eg it is not enough that a campaign was balanced in 1.3.1, things might have changed a lot in 1.3.8 so it has to be tested and rebalanced every now and then)

If you want to take over such a job, reply in this very forum thread and/or contact us in the ircchan #wesnoth-dev on irc.freenode.net.
Last edited by ivanovic on December 24th, 2007, 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Do note that even while this requires quite a good understanding of WML, you'll have personal support and advice available to you on most issues. ;)

Also, one person doesn't necessarily have to maintain all currently unmaintained campaigns. If we get several people interested in the job, they can split or share maintainership of campaigns as they see fit. And if you really don't want to try to maintain everything, you can always just volunteer to maintain just one campaign. A few maintainers for single campaigns would be better than no general purpose maintainers.
Walking Bore

Post by Walking Bore »

I haven't had much actual practice, but I think I know enough WML for the job, and might be able to do it. If you think I should, I'd like to.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A clarification:
Ivanovic wrote:- Eastern Invasion - Turin (but feel free to take-over the maintenance, only bugfixes will be done)
What this means is, I'm currently the maintainer of EI, but I'm interested in handing that job over to someone else. As it stands, the only work I will do on EI is bugfixing. If someone is interested in taking over the campaign and doing more than that (changing maps, balancing, dialogue changes, etc), be my guest.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

I already talked about it on irc and would like to help maintaining some of the mainline campaigns. I have some WML knowledge and I hope that I will pick the rest of it on the way . Just tell me which campaign(s) I should take
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I am not interested, but I want to voice my support for Mythological. He is a fantastic worker: dedicated and expeirenced. He would certainly make a fantastic candidate for this position.

He was very successful in "revising" several UM scenarios to make them harder for our enjoyment, as well as performing a very good, stable, and clean code for the Temples of the Nagas MP scenario.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Shade

Hi,

Post by Shade »

Hi,

I just washed back up in the forums a little while ago. Hey, I started playing again :)

I just wanted to say that if anybody wanted to take over maintenance of TRoW I'd:
1) Like it. I'm still fond it and would rather not see it bitrot or go away. That being said I haven't touched WML in a very long time, and am in no position to maintain anything.
2) Stay out of your way. It'd be your baby.

I'd just like to encourage anybody that feels up to the task, and that is agreeable to the active powers that be, to feel 100% free to step up.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I don't think anybody would be better suited than Myth. He's honest, very dedicated/reliable (something we need), and is familiar enough with the game to do a great job (look at his work on mp UM stuff and you;d understand).

He gets my vote.

(goes to register VoteforMyth2007.com)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I won't let myth run unopposed! I am also interested in maintaining a campaign or two. That said, I think myth would be a great person to work on campaigns, and would do a wonderful job on anything he touched!

I have limited time, and only some experience with WML, but I really like the idea of contributing to Wesnoth, and I think that starting with a body of work (like a campaign) would be a great way for me to learn and also (hopefully!) improve on some aspects of Wesnoth.

If Myth is interesting in tackling the whole maintainence project, that would be fine, but if he would rather focus more time on fewer campaigns I would be interested in maintaining tSG. I have been interested in the idea of creating a multiplayer tutorial (mostly to reach the default races) for some time now, so the idea of tweaking the other beginer campaigns is appealing to me.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Mythological wrote:I already talked about it on irc and would like to help maintaining some of the mainline campaigns. I have some WML knowledge and I hope that I will pick the rest of it on the way . Just tell me which campaign(s) I should take
Wintermute wrote:I won't let myth run unopposed! I am also interested in maintaining a campaign or two. That said, I think myth would be a great person to work on campaigns, and would do a wonderful job on anything he touched!

I have limited time, and only some experience with WML, but I really like the idea of contributing to Wesnoth, and I think that starting with a body of work (like a campaign) would be a great way for me to learn and also (hopefully!) improve on some aspects of Wesnoth.
Great! I suppose the most priority at the moment would be in fixing various things in The South Guard. There are a lot of WML bugs, gameplay/map problems (IMO anyway) and such in it. The rest of the old mainline campaigns are at least in a pretty working condition right now, but of course those should receive some attention as well. I think most people and devs would agree that tSG is the most problematic of the current campaigns, so you guys might wish to consider helping fix that first.
Wintermute wrote:If Myth is interesting in tackling the whole maintainence project, that would be fine, but if he would rather focus more time on fewer campaigns I would be interested in maintaining tSG. I have been interested in the idea of creating a multiplayer tutorial (mostly to reach the default races) for some time now, so the idea of tweaking the other beginer campaigns is appealing to me.
I'm pretty sure he's fine with leaving something for you too. ;) As has been said, it doesn't make much sense to give the whole job to one person if multiple are interested, it's better to split responsibilities (or just collaborate).
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

zookeeper wrote: I'm pretty sure he's fine with leaving something for you too. ;) As has been said, it doesn't make much sense to give the whole job to one person if multiple are interested, it's better to split responsibilities (or just collaborate).

that and the amount of job...

this is not a small job, it's actually quite huge. So having a team of campaign maintainers makes sense...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I started a thread which lists the problems with tSG which i never could fix, and some ideas i had for improvement.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

One campaign I really loved was the elf desert campaign. It was big fun :)

The main campaign was nice too, although if I could, I'd like to see one more
level added to it where its another fight against the orcs... i recalled that this was
really challenging (against the orcs) and loved this part. (The lancers i didnt like so much)
Anyway that was just a tiny feedback, disregard this as far as this thread purpose
is concerned please ;)
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

I would love to do this job, but aside from some obvious problems with my hypothetical bid, I severly lack the time for this. I'm glad shade lurks around. I want to offer some advice to the person that takes this job... despite Shade's admonition against bitrot, I recommend you don't mess with the content of TRoW too much. To this day I think it remains one of the best in terms of having fun levels to play. Good luck, Mythological and possibly wintermute.
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

turin wrote:A clarification:
Ivanovic wrote:- Eastern Invasion - Turin (but feel free to take-over the maintenance, only bugfixes will be done)
What this means is, I'm currently the maintainer of EI, but I'm interested in handing that job over to someone else. As it stands, the only work I will do on EI is bugfixing. If someone is interested in taking over the campaign and doing more than that (changing maps, balancing, dialogue changes, etc), be my guest.
Shade wrote:Hi,

I just washed back up in the forums a little while ago. Hey, I started playing again Smile

I just wanted to say that if anybody wanted to take over maintenance of TRoW I'd:
1) Like it. I'm still fond it and would rather not see it bitrot or go away. That being said I haven't touched WML in a very long time, and am in no position to maintain anything.
2) Stay out of your way. It'd be your baby.

I'd just like to encourage anybody that feels up to the task, and that is agreeable to the active powers that be, to feel 100% free to step up.
As a newly promoted campaign developer, I want to have something to work on and I would gladly accept to maintain Eastern Invasion and/or The Rise of Wesnoth.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never