Delfador's Memoirs

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Truper

Re: Delfador's Memoirs announcements and bug reports

Post by Truper »

Well, I have made it past The return of trouble. But I was outrageously, fabulously, no, transcendently lucky. I mean the kind of thing where if it happened in an MP game, you'd curse everybody ever involved with Wesnoth, uninstal it, and refuse to even think about playing it again.

I guess I'm now at a loss for what I think about balance in this scenario, but I really like the way its beginning to tie together some of the threads of Wesnoth history.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

In Parthyn, in every playtest I ever did the loyalists were alive, though frightened, when I made contact with them(but then of course I designed the scenario). And I never thought anyone would move the commander to the mages. In fact I always used to move an elvish scout there; the commander is a slower and more useful fighting unit. So, yes, this ought to be fixed.
In the next scenario if all else fails, we can revert back to the original implementation which I never failed to beat on hard. Maybe slayers did not have markmanship back then(which
is not a good idea imho), but still this should be no problem
Truper

Post by Truper »

I think there is a bug in Clash at the manor. Once I defeated the General, I moved Delfador all around the outside of the manor. Finding no door, and getting impatient, I took a look at the WML. If I am reading it correctly, the secret door for getting into the manor is inside the manor.

Oh - and one of the bits of opening dialog seems to be mistakenly commented out.

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Truper, here is a Return of Trouble replay from your save. Note I only recruit lv1 units because I like it this way(where does Kalenz find veterans from?) and well, because that was my original intention and how I always have playtested it(on hard though). No luck required.
Attachments
DM-The_return_of_trouble_replay.gz
(72.79 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times
Truper

Post by Truper »

Sorry, but I can't watch your replay. When I load it initially, it says it's from a different version of the game, and when I say I wan't to try to load it anyway, it tells me the file is corrupt and asks do I want to continue playing after each and every action.

Am I correct about the bug in Clash at the manor?

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Truper wrote:
I can't watch your replay. When I load it initially, it says it's from a different version of the game, and when I say I wan't to try to load it anyway, it tells me the file is corrupt and asks do I want to continue playing after each and every action.
Can you install the latest version and try again?
Have not gotten that far yet. Lots in the campaign have been rewritten since I last wrote and playtested. I'll check, but you could help speed this up by posting a savegame from the start of the scenario
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

I've had what I think is the exact same problem with a replay between 1.7.something and 1.7.something else. If the replay simply won't load at all, try adding empty [multiplayer] tags to the replay. After that, I had the same thing: error messages after every move. But I could keep hitting OK and then play, and it kept going. Also, I soon noticed that the errors only popped up after each recruit or recall (maybe other unit creations, I don't remember). So after the first turn or two of batting away error messages, things went pretty smoothly.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Truper

Post by Truper »

I'm running 1.7.5, so I'm not sure which version you mean. It doesn't matter now though, as I deleted my saves and started a different campaign. If I have time, perhaps I'll give it another go, and send a save file.

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I mean the latest version from trunk(at least it was the latest at the time).
Truper

Post by Truper »

Ah. I'm not hip to that sort of thing - when a new version gets posted on the main page, I DL it. Trunk, SVN and all that stuff is beyond me ;)

Xaboo

Post by Xaboo »

Yes, you are correct!
Truper, I observed the same bug, I think changing the x,y for the event to 36,11 would resolve this and the change to 35,11 removing the wall would open up the manor.

Just tested the event with change to event for 36,11 and this opens the wall ending the scenerio. Just for the record, I tested the event by running the campaign from the beginning which I believe recompiles the code, then loaded last save (which was turn 8 Clash at the Manor). I had to move character on the tile 36, 11 proper (not just pass over it or move through it enroute to another tile). :wink:
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Truper, I posted a savegame in http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 44#p388244
from the last round. Finish it, then maybe the replay will be ok
Krellja

Post by Krellja »

Maybe a stupid question, but I have not fund it discussed elsewhere:

Startet playing Delfador's Memoirs today and I'm somewhat surprised to see it using the old gold carryover system.

Krellja
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

... and why is this a problem? There are many ways to achieve gold balance, such as gold carryover, number of turns, scenario difficulty etc. Why is it important HOW this balance is achieved as opposed to whether the campaign is balanced or not?
Reepurr

Re: Delfador's Memoirs

Post by Reepurr »

ehm necromancy

I found the last scenario incredibly anticlimatic to be honest. Yes playing on easy but still.
Lich guy's keep is obvious, and then I just went towards it. I gave Kalenz the holy water, recalled an enchantress, a shyde and a sylph (I think) and it was a breeze dealing with the weak undead. The odd Draug or Banebow lurking with ai_special=guardian would be nice for difficulty, and might force people to attempt to double back, making the spooky and mazelike catacombs more mazelike.

Also, you're told 'Defeat [bad guy]' before you even know who [bad guy] is - you only find out on turn 2. Perhaps you could have a first objective on turn 1 of "Explore the catacombs" to avoid spoiling the big bad guy reveal?

My original feedback is here.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!