Regarding Asheviere's Reign

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Laucian

Regarding Asheviere's Reign

Post by Laucian »

According to the timeline, Asheviere ruled from 501YW to 518YW, seventeen years. According to Heir to the Throne, Elves Besieged takes place twenty years into Asheviere's rule. Regardless, that is a very long time. Before the actions of Heir to the Throne there was no indication that her reign would end any time soon either.

It started turbulently, with considerable initial resistance to her rule in the west, resulting in Elensefar declaring independence and the army being pushed back of some western regions. It was shown in Liberty that the Wesnothian army during this period was rather brutal in gathering support for her rule, though that can be argued that they acted like that because Dalben had a rebellious history and is close to Elensefar, whose independence was already written on the wall. Or they could have been survivors from Eldred's army, loyal to the Queen.

Ashievere's official story is likely along the lines that the army suffered a defeat at the Ford of Abez and then paid the Northerners off with tribute. Delfador took advantage of this reverse to raise an army and stage a coup d'etat, which was successfuly defeated. He even went so far as to personally kill Eldred. The fate of Garard's nephews could be blamed on him, but Li'sar seemed surprised at their deaths, so perhaps it was just pushed into obscurity. The princess would still be the rightful heir, even with them alive.

Because otherwise I can't just see how she would remain in control over most of the kingdom for so long. I don't think the population nor the army would support some evil kinslaying queen. I figure that beyond her confidants only some of the nobility, higher officers and the like are aware of the truth. Those from Eldred's side from the battle at the ford could represent the greatest leak, but they likely received the greatest rewards and are in command of most of the kingdom as well.

During Asheviere's reign, the regular footsoldier of Wesnoth and most of the commanders believe that they are fighting against the rebels rallied by Delfador. These traitors would push the lie that the martyred prince Eldred was the one to kill his father at the lost battle at the ford. The truth would sound outrageous, even offensive to someone that believes the official story.

I am going through the planning stages for a UMC centered around loyalists to the Queen during this period and I want to know if I got things right.
gnombat

Re: Regarding Asheviere's Reign

Post by gnombat »

Spoiler:
Laucian

Re: Regarding Asheviere's Reign

Post by Laucian »

Spoiler: