An Orcish Incursion: some questions and ideas

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: An Orcish Incursion: some questions and ideas

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Aldarisvet wrote: December 4th, 2019, 12:56 pm Actually that tower could be build by elves or dwarves in some ancient times so that is the explanation.
Or saurians.

I also want to note that if you want players to play both sides, then rather than having two separate campaigns, you could build it into a multiplayer campaign where one player plays the orcs and one player plays the elves. That requires leaving an open ending, of course, but you can just say "orc ending is non-canon". Depending on how that's done it might also need to be quite a bit shorter.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
holypaladin

Re: An Orcish Incursion: some questions and ideas

Post by holypaladin »

Aldarisvet wrote: December 4th, 2019, 10:39 am I want to discuss some issues about An Orcish Incrusion here.
The campaign represents "the first direct elvish clash with orcs" so this probably important to save this moment of Wesnoth history and not to demainline it but rather rework it.

The campaign has almost no storyline, the only plot line in it is about elves chasing some orcish vanguard. Since playing only against orcs through the whole campaign would be extremely boring, you can fight also against trolls and undead as I remember. Also you can meet a Silver Mage, Linaera the Quick there but after you just acquire her in one scenario where she besieged by orcs in her tower and nothing happened with storyline concerning her later which is quite primitive.

At first, my questions about obvious historical faults of this campaign
According to Timeline of Wesnoth - https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Timeline_of_Wesnoth - AOI happens at 8YW. Only 9 years passed after a first human ever put his leg on the Great continent (orcs just began their second wave of invasion of the continent from the Green Isle).

How it is ever possible that only 9 years after that an elvish hero meets a lich and a silver mage during his hunt over orcs???
What that lich was doing in that swamp? Stupidly sitting and waiting while someone would kill him? Of course he cannot be a 'new generation' lich, he can only be a remnant of lich-lord Jevyan army, but still it is quite a coincidence to meet such a lich. Really a lich patiently awaits you in every swamp you cross??? Anycase there are no attempts made to explain that or to align this with The Rise of Wesnoth campaign.

And about Linaera - how she and her apprentices ever supposed to appear so far from human settlers with which obviously she evacuated from the Green Isle? Not only she abandoned them and Haldric, but she was able to build a whole tower in that backwards that orcs was unable to seize! I am not saying that this is totally impossible to happen (or explained), however.

Moreover, these questions probably can lead to some interesting answers that could connect TRoW and AOI.

Also I think that this campaign could be split into 2 parts. In one you play on the side of elves, on the second you can play on the side of invading orcs, scenarios of these parts even can go alongside. For now the campaign has 7 scenarios, form which 5 you fight against orcs, one against undead and one against trolls. At least 2 scenarios can be removed from the side of elves instead adding length to the side of orcs. The scenario against trolls... I don't know why it is here at all. Just elves met trolls in their road, oh, great. Probably you should show in the campaign how orcs tricked trolls to attack elves.

So, If you can use your fantasy, you can improve that campaign greatly.
Scenario with lich and with trolls would can be removed, Linaera would be alone without students and rather a wandering mage without house and stable income... Maybe there would be fine changes but not sure
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"