Antar, Son of Rheor [Feedback Thread]

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Adamant14

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Feedback Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Tuco3 wrote: January 11th, 2019, 11:42 pmI have installed the campaign "The Hammer of Thursagan Revised". The normal campaign is not present in the server.
OK, that explains why the campaign wont load on your engine. I use some units from THoT in my campaign, so to have THoT installed is necessary to start my campaign. To reduce the size of my campaign, I decided not to add copy's of the THoT units to my Add-On, instead I called the units from the mainline campaign, because I thought everyone has THoT installed, because it is in core. But maybe this is different when you use Linux. Perhaps some Linux users can even enlighten me here. And maybe it is possible to define THOT as dependency. You can set other add-ons as dependency, but I'm not sure if one can set a mainline campaign also as a dependency?

So there are two ways for you to play Antar, Son of Rheor.
Solution 1:
Install The Hammer of Thursagen, not in add-ons, but in data/campaigns

Solution 2:
Replace the main.cfg in your copy of Antar (add-ons/Antar) with this modified main.cfg
_main.cfg
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
It is tested, and should work for you.

Thank you for the report.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Adamant14 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:05 pm To reduce the size of my campaign, I decided not to add copy's of the THoT units to my Add-On, instead I called the units from the mainline campaign, because I thought everyone has THoT installed, because it is in core. But maybe this is different when you use Linux. Perhaps some Linux users can even enlighten me here.
Linux (Ubuntu) user here. On some Linux distributions every campaign is a separate package which you can install or not install at will (they are not necessary if you want to play only multiplayer). So if you want campaign The Hammer of Thursagan for Wesnoth 1.14, you have to install package wesnoth-1.14-thot.
But if you install package wesnoth or wesnoth-1.14 you will automatically get all mainline campaigns.
On some distributions you can even install Wesnoth from Steam in which case you have all mainline campaigns and automatic updates (and usually before the version is even announced on the forums).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For what it's worth, every place Wesnoth is available for download directly contains all the campaigns - Steam, flatpak, and the Wesnoth website. It's only certain linux distros that split the campaigns out like that, for I suppose size reasons, but splitting things out like that is not considered to be something that's actually officially supported.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> It's only certain linux distros that split the campaigns out like that, for I suppose size reasons, but splitting things out like that is not
> considered to be something that's actually officially supported.

I have heard that claim in the past, usually by debian.

There is a tiny bit of merit in there, e. g. the argument being that server systems may not need devel parts (header files)
and so forth.

However had, I have also found that debian maintainers are often clueless people and randomly chop up packages merely
to annoy people. This has happened before with ruby, for example; and I read complaints about this from python devs
too.

The bigger problem then is that when you are a newcomer, you may not know about this - and you may complain upstream
e. g. ... at the ruby developers. Or in this case, the wesnoth developers. But they rarely have anything at all to do with
this re-packaging of stuff.

I don't think that size is the reason because -devel packages are always done even for tiny packages. It's the mind set of
these distributions to want to do so, and then let their package manager make sense of any of that.

I personally would recommend to never support any other variant than the one that the wesnoth developers build/maintain,
because otherwise you would then invest time for problems created by other people. I would even go as far as to discourage
the use of such packages but I understand that this is also difficult - people tend to use e. g. ubuntu or linux mint largely
for convenience and lack of knowledge, so it is not trivial for them to do things on their own. Unless of course until the
day where they realize that these distributions cause more problems than solve them.

In-wesnoth updates make a lot of sense to me though, even completely updating/changing the version of wesnoth that
is being run/used or tested (e. g. I compile wesnoth into /Programs/Wesnoth/VERSION_HERE so I could switch
within the game as-is if this were possible; right now of course I exit the version, then start the other version that
I would use; for folks who rely on hardcoded paths such as /usr/bin/wesnoth, they have it harder of course since
only one such file may exist at all times).
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

in many distributions, such as Slackware, packages are not split to multiple tiny packages, so Battle for Wesnoth comes as one package without further granularity. In other distros there are only two packages, wesnoth and wesnoth data, but they have a dependency, so you'll end up getting a complete install as well.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

BFW 1.15.2, Windows 10, Antar 1.13.39. The_Hammer_of_Thursagan is present and at least starts the first scenario. Antar does not....

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:\Users\larry\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15/data/add-ons/Antar/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'NOTE_INSPIRE' is missing
at campaigns/The_Hammer_of_Thursagan/units/Dwarvish_Annalist.cfg:24
included from ~add-ons/Antar/_main.cfg:115
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 21st, 2019, 5:24 pm ... The_Hammer_of_Thursagan is present and at least starts the first scenario. Antar does not....
Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.
Fixed, thank you for letting me know.
Strange that the engine suddenly didn't find the definition anymore, it found it in the previous version, and BfW 1.14 also always found the definition. But never mind, it should work now.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
ChristTrekker

Post by ChristTrekker »

Playing this now. Was looking for a campaign that featured Fencers, and this has been enjoyable. It has many elements that I would use were I to make my own campaign.

• many loyal units a bit more heroic than a normal one of their type (Antar's hit-and-run ability, Grimbold's protection, the illusions, etc) — and few of these seemed overpowering (protection is limited to one character, precision is marksman++ but never does enormous damage so okay, illusionist has to muddle through level 0, etc)
  • the special abilities make sense in the storyline (Grimbold), or seem very plausible (stumbling upon a naturally gifted mage)
  • cool twists on existing units to make something new (elvish hunter, goblin types, undead types, etc)
  • neat focus on defense (Antar, Grimbold, several scenarios with hordes where troop rotation saves the day), which is needed with limited healers
Dislikes:
  • so many new abilities jammed into one campaign is almost overwhelming — I'd forget to keep Grimbold near his ward, forget Careonryn's awesome offense trying to use him like a regular leader (still had quite a few L1's to help), forget to keep my illusionist in the 2nd row so his power would be useful, forget Antar can move after attack — I'd concentrate on a few but managing all of them was a lot!
  • Antar seems to be the sole Fencer — I was hoping for more
I look forward to playing the rest (looks like I'm about to acquire some elves), and then hopefully trying again to see how I can improve. The additions make it feel new compared to a "standard" loyalist scenario. So this is just a THANK YOU post.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

Hello,
I have just finished the campaign, and I just have to say it's been one of the best I have played so far. It's so solid, maps are well designed, there are innovative ideas, but they are not against the core of the vanilla gameplay (which is the case for so many others), and it values the player's time.

Seriously, that last point is one of the biggest for me, I can't count how many times I started a campaign until I reached some enormous, extremely boring cave level with 40+ limit of turns, or something similar.

And a lot of add-on campaigns focus on various things that are kind of nice, but not really what I'm looking for. They have too many things, too many units available from the start, too many weird abilities, which in the end do not bring that much to the strategy, while the map design is often boring on the strategy level.

But anyway, this was supposed to be feedback about this campaign, not about others, so I'll just repeat I really liked it. The changes to the vanilla gameplay were all I'm sure massive internally, but the design was very neat and meant they didn't seem intrusive to the gameplay. They felt very light, while refreshing.
rocinante

Post by rocinante »

I finished the campaign, and I liked it. I think it's been changed since some of the original reviews came out because the last scenario worked a bit differently. I like that update though, the last scenario was the most difficult one and if it worked like it did originally I might have lost.

I saw a few players mentioning tight time limits for some scenarios and a lack of healers. I got around that by leveling up several paladins, and that was also very useful because there are a lot of strong undead in this campaign. I played on medium but without the paladins this campaign would have been a lot harder.