Feedback Thread for Xara's Add-ons

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xara

Feedback Thread for Xara's Add-ons

Post by Xara »

Here is a list of my Add-ons:
  • Chieftain Granak:
    Available on 1.14 server.
    My SP campaign. A campaign about Orcs, without much fancy WML stuff.
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48282
  • Slider Mod:
    SP/MP mod. Allow you to universally modify the HP/damage/Movement/Exp of all the units in human sides and in AI sides. Can be used to lower or increase difficulty.
  • AMLA Mod:
    SP/MP mod. Replace the default AMLA(+3 hp, +20% Max Exp) with a custom one. You can set the HP/Max Exp increase and chance to get +1dmg/movement.
  • Artifact Mod:
    Allow each side to create 1 artifact per scenario.
  • Image Overlay Mod:
    Allow players to mark the important units with an image overlay.
  • Leader Magic Mod
    Available on 1.12 and 1.14 server.
    Allow the leader of each side to use over 100 spells. Balanced by a simple mana system.
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47710
  • 2p Planewalker Campaign(v0.2):
    Available on 1.12. Not ported to 1.14 due to incompatibility.
    Simply speaking, I was trying to make an Ageless version of the "2p Campaign Battle System". Currently there are 50+ playable scenarios against AI, and two players can also play mainline 1v1 maps against their partner with their persistent armies. Available on 1.12 server.
    I'm particularly interested in the feedbacks upon the balance of level 4,5 scenarios. And you are welcome to suggest scenario ideas.
  • The Dungeon:
    A SP/MP scenario of Dimaga Beach style, featuring items, random levels, and dynamic difficulties. Available on 1.12.
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47838
  • Windmill of Time:
    Available in 1.12.
    A 2p/3p survival map in which the flows of ToD rotate clockwisely around central area. So players can move to choose battlefields with favored times of day.
    I've designed two sets of enemy spawns, the normal one with less randomness, and a more-random one. For now, the enemy spawns designs is merely OK, I hope to ameliorate them sometime. But I'm only a mediocre player, so I find it hard to design good map and enemy spawns. If you are interested in designing an alternative set of spawn and/or map, you can contact me.
    Avaiable on 1.12 Server.
  • Xara's Map-Pack:
    Several Multiplayer Maps for 2~4 players. Available on 1.12 server.
    Current Maps:
  • UMC Terrain Pack:
    Eagle 11 is the developer and maintainer of this add-on now.
    Available on 1.12. Someone unofficially ported it to 1.14.
    Custom terrains from the add-on Archaic Resources, Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
    The terrains are available in the map editor, and you only need to put the line "{~add-ons/UMC_Terrain_Pack/load_UTP.cfg}" into your "_main.cfg" file to enable them in your scenarios.
    Give me Eagle_11 feedbacks if something is not working, or if you want to see any specific nice terrain included (as long as they have [terrain_graphics] codes).
  • Scrolling Survival Co-op:
    Quequo's Ageless Scrolling Survival is a superior version of this add-on.
Bug reports, feedbacks and suggestions are appreciated. :D
Last edited by Xara on June 3rd, 2018, 3:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
watbesh

Re: Feedback Thread for Xara's Multiplayer Works

Post by watbesh »

Hi Xara :)
I tried some maps locally, and I found "portal" gameplay interesting (it's practically adding a bunch of pseudo-choke-points). By the way, have you tried the [tunnel] tag? If I understand correctly, it's supposed to work like Silver Mage's Teleport.

For individual maps I tried...
Windmill of Time:
- It causes a save error at the 5th-ish turn and shuts down the application soon later. I think it's overloaded with WML codes? I hope it's only me. Probably using the mid-turn ToD-shift setting was bad.
- I think using the default 6 ToD's in a day instead of 18 would be easier to understand for players. Then you can just divide the map into 6 areas (like the default 6p survival map). But it's just a matter of taste.
Dual Battlefield:
- I found 5 villages out of the battlefield. It's a bit confusing since the village count shows "xx/29" instead of "xx/24".
- At turn 2, scouts can take villages which are supposed to belong to other sides (which should never happen in a 2p map). Though I don't think it really makes a good tactic there, mostly because it's a 3p map.

Also, I recommend putting a link to your feedback thread in your signature, so any players interested in your contents can find the thread easily.
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
Xara

Post by Xara »

Hi, watbesh. :D Thanks for the feedbacks.
watbesh wrote: Windmill of Time:
- It causes a save error at the 5th-ish turn and shuts down the application soon later. I think it's overloaded with WML codes? I hope it's only me. Probably using the mid-turn ToD-shift setting was bad.
- I think using the default 6 ToD's in a day instead of 18 would be easier to understand for players. Then you can just divide the map into 6 areas (like the default 6p survival map). But it's just a matter of taste.
The bug is strange. Not many special things happen in turn 5. There is no special event relating to ToD-shifting, only an event to spawn and another to inform the next spawn. It's almost the same as the turn 3 events, the only difference being that I introduced a randomized variable (for the direction of turn 8 wave). I never saw anyone else coming across the same bug. Can you reproduce the bug? If so, does it happen invariably in turn 5?
As for the ToD, I think it is a good idea. I was worried about the artificial ToD borders at first, so I made a 18-part schedule to smooth them. Though I like this design myself, I often find people perplexed. And I feel it an unnecessary cluster to give people 4 ToD options. So I will make it 3. The "9 turn mid-turn" and "9 turn start-turn" are too similar to be separately presented, and the "6 turn start-turn" can be replaced with the more intuitive "6-area" mode.
watbesh wrote:Dual Battlefield:
- I found 5 villages out of the battlefield. It's a bit confusing since the village count shows "xx/29" instead of "xx/24".
- At turn 2, scouts can take villages which are supposed to belong to other sides (which should never happen in a 2p map). Though I don't think it really makes a good tactic there, mostly because it's a 3p map.
The map is designed when I was more inexperienced, so there are several flaws. The first being that the main battle zone is too small. It would be better if I made each player two grids further away from the central, thus eliminating the problem you mentioned and allowing a greater variety of the terrain.
And yes, the decorating value of the villages doesn't worth the trouble. I will delete them in the next version.
watbesh wrote:I tried some maps locally, and I found "portal" gameplay interesting (it's practically adding a bunch of pseudo-choke-points). By the way, have you tried the [tunnel] tag? If I understand correctly, it's supposed to work like Silver Mage's Teleport.
The first map was made when I was inexperienced with WML, so I borrowed the codes from "Soradoc Cross" (which borrowed the codes from "Save the Village"). Later I found that the similar things can be achieved by [teleport] tag in "moveto" event. I've not tried, but the [tunnel] should work fine as well. There are minor differences as to the behaviors though. For one thing, units don't swap in [teleport] and [tunnel]. And for the other, the movement costs and the blockability on both sides are not the same.

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Moved to Add-on Feedback as requested by author.
lin

Re: Feedback Thread for Xara's Add-ons

Post by lin »

Hi,

I have got an error when the programm reads the addons :

Code: Select all

Macro/file '~add-ons/2p_Planewalker_Campaign/macros/change_scenario' is missing
    at ~add-ons/2p_planewalker_campaign/_main.cfg:11
Xara

Post by Xara »

Hi, lin.
The bug is strange. Because the mentioned folder is in definitely its position, and I have downloaded the server version to confirm it. I can't find the relevant buggy codes in my add-on. It might be some complex Wesnoth bug that I don't understand, like my Wesnoth also sometimes loads Legend of the Invincible and After the Storm in multiplayer and yields error messages.
I don't know if reopening the Wesnoth or reinstalling the add-on or restarting the computer can solve the problem. Good luck!

Edit: What Operation System do you use?

Edit2: @Ravana: I did. my bad.

Edit3: Fixed the case inconsistency, hopefully it workd now.
Last edited by Xara on May 10th, 2015, 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Wesnoth is case sensitive, you need to use same way for inclusions and actual folder names.
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

1st path: Planewalker, 2nd one: planewalker
Maybe the fact that there is a big letter where should be a small one causes this error.

Anyway, yesterday I started playing 3p - Windmill of Time (at 6th turn one player has disconnected, the second left the game). However, I've got some feedback.
1) the idea of changing ToD is brilliant
2) in my opinion it is strange that there are 13 villages for all players. That means each player has got... 3 1/3 villages. If I were you, I'd delete one of the 4 central villages. Each players' leaders would take one of them.
3) the image "go-here.png" is a bit confusing. Maybe you should use labels "Peasant" or something like this (like in vs Survival or Survival Fusion). Also the information "Turn 2: Humans" doesn't give me enough information about enemy. I may expect here cavalry, spearmen, outlaws or even dark adepts.
Last edited by pe_em on July 11th, 2015, 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xara

Post by Xara »

I will probably not modify Windmill of Time in these months. Need to play more to get a hunch of designing better survivals. I will probably change a lot of the spawns, so I didn't label the units. Maybe the labeling can be done automatically with some Scrolling Survival codes, but still later, for it's hard to dive deep when I play/code Wesnoth as procrastination :lol:

lin

Post by lin »

Hi,

I just tried the update version.
Now I have this :

Macro/file '~add-ons/2p_Planewalker_Campaign/maps/Alda_101_Elvish_Vale.map' is missing
    at ~add-ons/2p_planewalker_campaign/macros/default.cfg:128
        included from ~add-ons/2p_planewalker_campaign/_main.cfg:12
        included from ~add-ons/2p_planewalker_campaign/scenarios/Alda/Alda_101_Elvish_Vale.cfg:4
        included from ~add-ons/2p_planewalker_campaign/_main.cfg:14
I forgot to ask to be notified last time, now it should be done.
Xara

Post by Xara »

I'm truly sorry. :oops:
Fixed all the occurances of "2p_Planewalker_Campaign" now. I hope I haven't used wrong cases in other words.

lin

Post by lin »

It seems alright now, except it was not a newer version, so I had to install again.
No error message while writing the cache this time.
Thanks.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Hi,
UMC Terrain Pack links to here so ive came for that one.

Feedback
^Ruty: rename into Great Desert Tower (Impassable) from Ruins (Impassable), add into categories desert and obstacle,
^BrYl: A pair of braziers got into the mainline in 1.13, i suggest remove this and replace with the ones from there for version earlier than 1.13, also fix via not making the braziers impassable and add them into embellishment,
^BrYb: rename into Lit Brazier Blue from Lit Brazier,
^BrYu: rename into Unlit Bronze Brazier from Brazier,
^Rusy: rename into Desert Ruins from Ruins, add into Desert and Rough,
DbYu: add into Desert,
WobY,WwbY,WrbY: add into water,
^Fdyu: add into Forest,
ZdYd: is this required ? seems to be an duplicate of _off^_usr,
^Fynt: add into embellishment and obstacle,
^GsYe,^GsYw,^GtYw,^GtYe: reports "BASE IMAGE NOT FOUND"
Tyb: Tundra is not using transitions with Gg,Rb,Re,Rd,Hh,Mm and Water transitions with Wo,Wog,Wwg, remove from Sand and Dirt categories,
^LYml: you can place this but nothing appears in the editor,
^LYmp: add into embellishment,
Urfz: rename into Brown Tile Floor, it has no transitions,
BtYb: has no transitions, seems to be an impassable duplicate of BrYm, which you could achieve via placing impassable overlay on BrYm.
^VYmb: one variant falsely appears as drake village, lacks own button image, lacks ground texture, add into Village,
^PYg: add into embellishment,
^XYb: changes appearance when bordering 2x FYb tiles of its own direction, try fix if possible,
MYb: does not transition into Mybd,
DYb: does not seem to be transitioning into anything, use stock snow transitions for it, remove from Sand, Swamp, Shallow Water categories.
KtY,KtYa,KtYs: Troll Keeps requires their own icon,
CtYa and KtYa: rename into Snowy Troll Castle,
TkYw and CkYw: its water floor tile does not transition well into water, or anything else for that matter,
CmY and KmY: rename into Marble Keep, require their own icon which is currently being used by CaY/KaY,
CaY and KaY: rename into Ruined Marble Keep, require their own icon,
CydY and KydY: rename into Dark Keep, require their own icon,
WuYb: se,sw borders have black crack lines, rename into Mural Wall,
WuY: se border has black crack lines, rename into Metall Wall, (see linien.png)
^VYpr: does not have its own ground texture, requires own icon,
^ZulF: this seems to be an very simple embellishment, would it require to be an terrain ?
MdY: rename into Desert Mountains (those are awesome btw)
^YruG: almost impossible to use due to its shape, could get removed,
SpaY: does not transition into Gg,Gd,Gs,Dd,
QxYi: uses custom ice texture only when bordering UYi and XYui, otherwise is an regular chasm with blue depth texture instead black,
BluY: what purpose does this even serve ?, delete please,
^ZiY: duplicate of mainline ^Ecf, delete please,
^EgkY: reports "IMAGE NOT FOUND", can be placed in the editor however nothing appears,
^EzaY: can be placed in the editor yet nothing appears, it would be better to use unit sprite of choice + statueifying macro for creating custom statues anyways, can suggest to add an generic 'statue podium' tile instead, that can be placed on ground where statue will stand and can be used with any statue,
CdY and KdY: seem to be duplicate of mainline Cud and Kud with different ground textures, slightly darker red color on keep tile's banner, and broken cave transitions, it can be removed if not absolutely necessary to exist,

substitute name Keep for Castle wherever its appyling in the above, but im sure youll get it right.

Contribution
Spoiler:
there is also an boatload of item and embellishment graphics scattered throughout the various addons incase you want them to gather in one place too.
Attachments
linien.png
canyon.tar
(333 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
gatheredresources.tar
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 974 times
Xara

Post by Xara »

I sent you the passphrase of the Terrain Pack via PM. ;)

Edit: About the images, I only checked that the effects are nearly identical when I have the original add-ons installed, and forgot to check the independencies. So maybe I forgot to move a few images, or I got the paths wrong.
Btw, I kinda like ^YruG and ^Cdy/^Kdy. The former can be used to create some palace effect, you can put cobbles/roads around the carpet to make it look fine. And while the latter's effect might be achieved with some codes instead (I don't know if you can switch palette like with unit images), it's not easy for many.

Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Thanks for the pw, but i wont able to take over, will continue to help however.

addendum:

#forgot to give the code for Carpet tiles.
[terrain_type]
    name= _ "Carpet"
    symbol_image=interior/carpet
	id=carpetfloor
	editor_name= _ "Red Carpet"
    string=Icp
    aliasof=Gt
    editor_group=flat
[/terrain_type]
{TERRAIN_BASE            Icp                                                       interior/carpet}
{TRANSITION_COMPLETE_L   Icp     G*,R*,W*,S*,D*,A*,Q*,Ur,Iwr   -220                interior/carpet}