Swamplings for 1.14

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Swamplings for 1.14

Post by Dugi »

This is the official feedback thread for the Swamplings campaign on the 1.14 server.

I have updated the abandoned campaign Swamplings to make it work on wesnoth 1.12 and now I am trying to get it to work also on 1.14. The original author (Boru alias John Rawlins) is long gone, so if you have any opinions or feedback, write them to me here. For the case if you needed some older information, the original thread is here.

The campaign is available on the 1.14 add-ons server. There should be no bugs, but it's unlikely to be true because of the nature of software. It contains French and German translations (though the French one is a bit outdated and a few lines will not be translated).

Please don't report bugs you found if you've copied save files from this campaign from wesnoth 1.10 and you've loaded them to play, it generates countless non-fatal bugs.

If you have played this campaign wesnoth 1.12 and would like to help me improve it even more, can you please reply to these questions:
1. Have you noticed any bugs, typos or other oddities?
2. Did you find some scenarios to be significantly more difficult or significantly easier than the rest of scenarios?
3. Do you have any other suggestions?
Please note that I don't want to make too significant changes, because I am not the creator of this campaign and I don't want to move it away from the original author's vision.
Last edited by Dugi on June 11th, 2018, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabie

Re: Swamplings for 1.12

Post by Jabie »

Thanks for doing this. Swamplings is an excellent campaign.
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

1) EDIT: Well Exodus seems to have this weird bug for me. I have vision at certain squares like it doesn't have fog, almost like a patchy design, but I can't see anything there, as if fog was still covering it.
2) Well I'm stuck on Exodus with no idea how to proceed. Way to many enemies to move forward.
3) Maybe give all the goblins the 'Swamp Savy' trait?

I'm liking this so far, it's a nice if different take.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@MerlinCross
1) I have never seen such a thing anywhere. I have tried to play through the scenario, had no problems. What version do you have?
2) The enemies will fight each other, the scenario wasn't too easy when I tried it out a few minutes ago.
3) The original author decided to give it only to some units (or more precisely, to a certain unit type). I don't want to do things he didn't want to do.
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

1) Latest Version. HOWEVER, I loaded up other maps and had the same patchy fog problem. Took a relaunch of the game to fix it so it seems to be more a Wesnoth problem than Swamplings.
2) Was able to clear i after slowing my speed just a bit.
3)Okay that makes a bit more sense.
SSDP

Post by SSDP »

Hi there.

Great campaign, thank you for maintaining it. On my newest playthrough, I encountered an error upon loading "Exodus".

BfW 1.12 on windows XP (ikr).

20141206 19:42:50 error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Direwolf encountered.
20141206 19:42:50 error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Great Wolf encountered.
Invalid WML found: The key 'target' is deprecated and support will be removed in version 1.13.0.
20141206 19:43:11 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-leader-leader-top.png'
20141206 19:43:11 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-leader-leader-bottom.png'
20141206 19:43:15 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-nozoc-nozoc-top.png'
20141206 19:43:15 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-nozoc-nozoc-bottom.png'
Attachments
S-Exodus.gz
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Direwolf encountered.
This is because the original author re-created existing units for some reasons. They have identical stats, so I am wondering if I should remove them or what.
Invalid WML found: The key 'target' is deprecated and support will be removed in version 1.13.0.
Fixed this one, not releasing it yet, this is just a cosmetic problem.
error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-
No idea what is this, because there is no reference to such a picture in the whole campaign.

In general, you can easily ignore bugs that appear in stderr.txt, they are mostly just to help debug some stuff, there are many cases where it is even inefficient to fight stderr.txt errors. The second error matters a bit, but I guess that it appeared also on the top of the screen.
Ivenzz

Post by Ivenzz »

Here is russian translation (100%)
Attachments
swamplings.rar
(181.29 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Thanks. I added it and uploaded it. I checked it a bit and it looks good, but I can't tell much because my knowledge of Russian language is limited.

Спосиба харашо, товарищ!
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

I noticed that all GoblinSpearmen do not have a team colored ellipse, whilethe others(
Spoiler:
) do. Is it intentional?
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That was obsolete code I haven't noticed. Fixed it, I will upload it with more important changes when they will be, I don't want to make a new version just because of this.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Well, there is also the fact that when I leveled up a goblin Spearman in the first scenario when advancement window poped i choose Goblin Rouser. After clicking "ok" the almost exact window appeard again asking me to choose from the same advancements, but i noticed something: now they each had "swamp saavy" trait. I clicked again and finally my goblin leveled into G.Rouser with the said trait. So it's not game breaking but still looks like a bug to me.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I'll check it out. The fix has been uploaded.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

I keep getting this error when fighting the seven deadly bones, happens between the 3rd and 5th guy killed.Image
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Bugs of this kind are extremely hard to investigate or even replicate. Errors like that doesn't happen regularly. It is very likely to be a bug in wesnoth, add-on code itself should never be able to cause errors like that (according to a certain developer). I investigated the code and it appears that the error message you got was caused by a part of code that looked like something that warns about errors before they cause more trouble. It has been removed in later versions, so it appears to have been already fixed. If that happens again, try to use some 1.13 developer version of Wesnoth (and move the saves there), it cannot show such an error message.