Ghostly Calls

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Suukorak

Ghostly Calls

Post by Suukorak »

When posting feedback, please answer these questions:

1. Did you find any bugs?
2. What difficulty were you playing on?
3. If you know WML, do you have any programming suggestions?
4. Do you have any suggestions for the gameplay (balancing)?
5. Do you have any suggestions for the storyline?
6. I am thinking of making a sequel. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Suukorak
He who is still learning WML, can still make a campaign. (or at least try)

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
janenho13

Re: Ghostly Calls

Post by janenho13 »

1.No, I didn't find any bugs.
2.Normal
3.I know WML and I have a suggestion. What about making special units for Ahab. It can be normal Dark Adept but without chance to advance to Lich
4.No, I haven't.
5.No, I haven't, again.
6.No, I haven't, again.
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

I'm sorry, I must've missed the notification that there was a reply.
janenho13, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to become a Lich. Is it because Nave chose not to? That doesn't mean he doesn't know how, or is against Ahab's becoming one. However, if you have a good explanation why, I believe I know how to do it.
Thanks for your feedback!
Suukorak

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
Radh

Post by Radh »

I apologize if this is a bit blunt and I'm not following your guidelines (as I have not yet finished the scenario), but have you thought about having the introductory sequence be visual? An example of this would be the beginning of the campaign Bad Moon Rising (Prologue). You don't play the character yet, but you follow through with the conversations and the action.

Also, woah! The first scenario's map is HUGE. If I come across no obstacles, it'll take me 26 turns to reach there! I thought it was a bit much, and had to save it and promise myself to come to it another day. It simply looks like it'd take forever!

I don't know if this'll considerably help, but that is my take on your campaign. If I do have any other comments, I will surely be back to bother you with my concerns.
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

You're quite right, Radh, that the map is large; all of them are. I worked with a partner on this, and he prefers large maps with sparse villages. I'll take a look at Bad Moon Rising to see what you mean, but I don't know whether I'd be able to do it. My WML isn't exactly top-notch.

Thank you for your feedback! I hope you'll still play at least some way through the campaign and tell me what you think.

Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

1. Did you find any bugs?
Scenario 2
The sergeant doesnt recruit any units. this may be deliberate?

2. What difficulty were you playing on?
Easy

3. If you know WML, do you have any programming suggestions?
Yes to wml, but no.

4. Do you have any suggestions for the gameplay (balancing)
Scenario 1
John Dee running after me was never a risk at all.
The first and third scenarios are too large. The first spectacularly so.
Scenario 4
Level two trolls in the dark are smashing or burning me to bits. I'm playing easy! I shouldn't have to rely on lucky rolls.
Ahab is too slow on the path south. Flat tiles not cave please.
Smaller map needed by a long way.
Scenario 5
I'm, playing on easy so why is John Dee getting free level 2 and 3 mages.
later
In later scenarios the base income is ridiculously high e.g. 300+. This should be much lower e.g. 30 at a maximum

5. Do you have any suggestions for the storyline?
All
Use the undead flag macro in Ahabs side in each scenario
Scenario 1
I would make John Dee's name sound more Wesnothian.
Scenario 2
Can the ghoul have a different name from "Transmogrification". How about 'Old Gumjaws'.
Scenario 3
Your initial loyal bats have cute names. The more important speaking bat in Scenario 3 should have a better name than enslaved bat.
Embellishments would liven up the look of the large maps.
The maze cave has been made by someone. Why not use 'hewn cave' terrain.
Its a very strange collection of enemies to fight. Why? Why not just trolls and a few monsters and remove the lone merman, naga, mudcrawler and saurian.
The next scenario mentions you have come through a trapdoor. The place-image in the [previous scenario should be this rather a three skull spike.
Scenario 4
What is the idea behind the small party of Saurians that get smashed by the mages?
Another huge map with a twisting maze one hex wide. This is boring in my opinion. 70 turns is far too long. I skipped it via debug.
Scenario 4
Another huge map with a twisting maze one hex wide. This is boring in my opinion. 70 turns is far too long. I skipped it via debug.
Scenario 5
Hasdrubal is a very strange name.
Lost count of scenario numbers
The LOTR quote was faintly amusing
You use Robin Hood, Jesse James and Shrek as names. BfW prefers you don't use things that may be copyrighted. Robin Hood won't be copyrighted but there were two charachters called this in the campaign.
The "destroy the leader X to get X ancient artifact" routine gets boring very quickly. I stopped playing at the desert scenario.

6. I am thinking of making a sequel. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?
Perfect this campaign more first. If the sequel has such large maps as this campaign I probably won't play it. Sorry.
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the attention to detail and will try to implement your suggestions. (and nice catch on the sergeant not recruiting! I'll look into that.) As for the map size, it seems that my co-creator is the only person that enjoys immense, sparse maps – unless it's simply that no one like him is commenting. I may rethink the campaign, or simply leave it be and make a new campaign on a different scale.
Thanks again!
Suukorak

jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Got an error message at the top it means nothing to me - using Wenoth 1.10.1 and whatever version of the campain that was downloaded. I'll attempt to post the screenshot

hope thus means something - thanks for the campaign (by the way I'm on easy)
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

In which scenario did you find the error? Just this or others?
Thanks for spotting it, though. I'll look into it.

Suukorak

jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Knew I'd forget something - the Trees of Life scenario start - it still played OK - so it's not a big problem.
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Fixed! The new version should repair that. It was a scatter-units macro that needed an [event] tag... I *knew* I wouldn't know how to use [while] on my own!
Thanks for catching that, and for the feedback!

Suukorak

jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

in Necromatic Apotheosis end of turn 1 on easy.
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Oh dear. I'll take a look...
Again, thanks for catching it!

Suukorak

Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Fixed.

jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Suukorak wrote:Fixed.
Thank you, but what do I need to do at my end to continue past the error message?

Edit - to answer my own question add- ons and "update add-ons"

Jeff