Danse Macabre

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kamikaze

Danse Macabre

Post by kamikaze »

This is the feedback thread for the single-player campaign Danse Macabre.
See also the Development thread (for bug reports, suggestions, etc.).

Questions:
(1) What version of Danse Macabre did you play?
(2) What difficulty level did you select? (normal/challenging/hard)
(3) How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
(4) Which scenario do you think is most difficult?
(5) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
(6) What part of the campaign did you enjoy most?
(7) What part of the campaign did you enjoy least?
(8) Do you have any additional comments?

Thanks
Last edited by kamikaze on May 17th, 2011, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
averyimaginativename

Re: Danse Macabre

Post by averyimaginativename »

(1) 1.0.3
(2) Normal
(3) 10 - the hardest I've played by a long way.
(4) Day Of The Dead - in fact, I ended up cheating. Another 5 or 10 turns would make it beatable. Also the second to last mission could do with a note in the objectives stating it's the last time you'll recall troops - it would have been much easier if I'd known I didn't have to try to keep my level 3 units alive!
(5) 9, my second favourite campaign now.
(6) The concept, the story, and especially vengeance is mine.
(7) The last mission - the magical sword made it go on forever. Perhaps remove it after the previous mission?
(8) Some of the translation to English is pretty bad. I would like to volunteer to fix it if you tell me what to do (edit the WML files, or just provide text portions? Where do I send them when I've done them?)
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
kamikaze

Post by kamikaze »

Hi, averyimaginativename. I'm glad you liked this campaign.

(4): Thanks for the specific suggestions! Both of them sound reasonable. I didn't intend to make the Normal level so difficult. OK, I will adopt the two changes.

(7): Oh, I see... Let me think about it for some time.

(8): Thank you for your offer of help! But most of the English translation have recently been revised by another volunteer. I'm going to post the updated version 1.0.4 on the 1.8 add-on server within a day or two (and announce it on the development thread). So, it would be helpful if you could check the revised text of v1.0.4. You may still find some mistakes, because this campaign contains some secrets and branching dialogues.
I prefer text portions. And you can send me private messages with attachments.

I really appreciate your useful feedback and kind offer!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) 1.0.3 / 1.0.4
(2) normal
(3) 10
(4) the fight against the alliaz and the last fight against the lich (dont know the names of the scenarios)
(5) 8.99
(6) i cant decide which i liked most cos i liked all
(7) maybe the allianz against macabre
i mean why do they all get that much gold? i thought that macabre weaked them so hardly that they couldnt fight on in the war but in the allianz they are even stronger then before (maybe dont let them team up just let them fight each other)
(8) could you make some hints for special zombies? i am plaing the campaign now the second time because i had overseen an unit which could have become a special zombie (taht saurian with broken leg)
just say in the scenario objectives that somewhere a unit is which could become a spezial zombie ( or that a vampir is in the scenario hidden)
by the way i get in the 2nd scenario 3 zombies but after that just two more, why dont you give maybe one more or give the two zombies (pech and the wose) in some other time
maybe when you crush the elves and dwarves (they could be leaders of an other wave of reinformants) but dont let them turned in level 1 zombies,better in level 2 zombies because there not many scenarios left
(hope you can understand all what i had write, my english isnt the best :-( )
kamikaze

Post by kamikaze »

Hi, Konrad2. Don't worry. I totally understand what you said, I think.

(6): I'm happy to hear that. :)

(7): Yeah... You may well think so. I just wanted to create an epic and tough battle against all other races. By beating them all, you will prove the superiority of the undead!
...Joking aside, why are they stronger than before despite the fact that they were weakened by Macabre? I guess, when the ancient lich arranged the alliance with them, he gave a part of his gold to them. Even if they are beaten by Macabre, the lich will be able to get many souls instead.
...How does that sound? In the meantime, I'll perhaps add some more dialogue to the opening of this scenario.

(8): Yes, those are definitely problems. I've been thinking about them too. I'll adopt your first suggestion. That sounds reasonable and it's easy to add some hints.
But, as to the second one, let me think about it for some time. For the changes will make a vast influence on the whole game (especially on the difficulty). Moreover, it will take a long time to create new special zombies.

Anyway, thank you for the many useful suggestions!
averyimaginativename

I made up my own back story for that mission.

The resistance ability of anywhere Macabre attacked was destroyed, but they were dispersed, not destroyed.

A handful of survivors from each human village, elven forest, or dwarfish cave, using the time Macabre was advancing to ally with each other. It's not just any old clan of dwarves, or the elves from a single forest - the Wesnothian alliance reformed with the two or three veteran survivors from each of the different tribes, forests, clans, to launch one final vanguard with their very last warriors.

On another subject - is there any news of version 1.0.4?

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
kamikaze

Post by kamikaze »

Great! That's a more persuasive and realistic interpretation. :)

Oh sorry, v1.0.4 is already available on 1.8 add-ons sever. I edited my post on the development thread, but I should have posted a new message to make the thread stand out.
Besides revising the English text, I made the two changes you had suggested. Thanks!
averyimaginativename

Hmm, it wasn't showing up in the update add-ons section, but I've got it with a manual install.

Attached are two files with corrections to the English for the first mission (some mixed tenses, and some lines that are technically right, but stylistically odd). The first is patched WML (I didn't touch anything apart from the strings), the second the list of changes.
Attachments
beginning of the tragedy text only.txt
Text only
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
01_beginning_of_the_tragedy.cfg
Patched WML
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 632 times

kamikaze

Post by kamikaze »

Thanks! I'm satisfied with your corrections.
They will be added to v1.0.5 (though I'm not sure when).

If you find any further mistakes, please feel free to post corrections at any time. :)
By the way, I just noticed that this subject is suitable to the development thread.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

in the scenario with the mage i have tried to kill him without turning into zobie
i lost then but there was standing nothing about that i lose when i just kill him
maybe you will add it?
averyimaginativename

in the scenario with the mage i have tried to kill him without turning into zobie
i lost then but there was standing nothing about that i lose when i just kill him
maybe you will add it
I'm just about to upload a translation fix for this scenario. I'll add a note to the objectives too to make this clear while I'm at it, and hopefully, he'll keep it.
Last edited by averyimaginativename on May 29th, 2011, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamikaze

Post by kamikaze »

Hi, Konrad2 and averyimaginativename.

I checked the correction just now. I think It's fine.
So this problem will be fixed on 1.0.5.

Thank you for the report and the correction!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

hello i have updated danse Macabre now
could you say what changes you made?
kamikaze

Post by kamikaze »

Hello, Konrad2.

I've just edited the development thread. :)

Some hints you had suggested were added. But as to hints about special zombies, in case some people want to find secret units out for themselves, I only added this note at the beginning of scenario2:
details:
I'm not so sure if this will work. It depends on more feedback.

For other changes, see the dev thread.
HellRider220

Post by HellRider220 »

(1)1.04
(2)Normal
(3)8
(4)The Alliance part
(5)9
(6)I like them all
(7)The last mission,where I lost all my comrades :cry:
(8)Awesome campaign man,if your making another one,please tell me.

post 2:
One question:What happens to the swords?Does the zombie leader took it?
Last edited by Gambit on June 8th, 2011, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: combined double posts
I'm not procrastinating.I'll just do it later.