The Sojournings of Grog

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: The Sojournings of Grog

Post by taptap »

Though the part where the runemaster started frying his own troops was a shock to me. It was just unexpected "Dwarfvish behavior". It was more of what i would expect a lich to do but a Dwarf?
Is it really necessary to kill the level1 dwarves in a way suitable for an angry necromancer?
Hahaha, same thought here, it seems.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

A hugely delayed reply, but I only just got back to working on the scenario.

taptap, your comments have been immensley useful. All your thoughts about the dialogue backing up the events (mainly around the scenario Defence) have been put into a notepad file. I agree with you on everything, except a couple which I think have since been fixed.

On that note, I'd like to put out a request to future players of the campaign to leave some specific comments about the dialogue and story in general. I've tried to make it engaging and entertaining but it's hard to self edit that kind of thing. Thanks :)
KingsIndian

Post by KingsIndian »

1. What version of BfW did you play this campaign on?
2. What version of TSoG did you play?
3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign on? (easy/normal/hard)
Normal
4. How difficult did you find the campaign/scenario? (1-10)
I'd say about 5 out of 10. It varied from scenario to scenario, but there weren't any scenarios that struck me as either way too easy or way too hard.
5. How clear did you find the objectives on the campaign/scenario? (1-10)
8 out of 10. I didn't realize that only a magical unit could use the staff in the final scenario (and therefore I didn't use it), but it wasn't necessary to complete the level anyway.
6. What aspect of the campaign needs the most work? (dialog, unit images, etc.)
I think the final scenario needs a bit of work, because commanding four armies at once, each with 600+ starting gold, is a bit tedious. Perhaps some of the armies (on both sides) should start with less gold. Also, the NE (brown) Drake enemy makes a major blunder when he grabs a village on turn 1, which makes it easy to assassinate him with the Gryphons.
7. Which part of the campaign did you like? (part-1/part-2)
Both. There was a wide variety of content, which was used in interesting ways, and most of the scenarios were good fun. Usually, I find that scenarios where the objective is simply to resist/survive aren't fun, but the ones in this campaign were - so bonus points for that!
8. How do you like the story on this campaign? (1-10)
10. I don't really have any additional comments to make here - I thought it was very good!
9. Do you have any additional comments?
Just one comment about the North Gate scenario. It appears that it's substantially easier if Elyssa's a Gold Mage than if she's a Great Mage, since that way, I can just teleport her to the sign post. I've only played this campaign once (with Elyssa as a Gold Mage), so I don't know whether there's some system in place to make it easier if she's a Great Mage, but if there isn't, it might be worth thinking about.
10. What was your impression when you finished the campaign? (achievement, weariness, sadness, etc.)
It felt pretty rewarding to have beaten it!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Thanks for your feedback. :D
KingsIndian wrote:Just one comment about the North Gate scenario. It appears that it's substantially easier if Elyssa's a Gold Mage than if she's a Great Mage, since that way, I can just teleport her to the sign post. I've only played this campaign once (with Elyssa as a Gold Mage), so I don't know whether there's some system in place to make it easier if she's a Great Mage, but if there isn't, it might be worth thinking about.
The Gold Mage unit is balanced more or less like the Silver Mage/Arch Mage pair: it has more mobility and magical resistance, but less firepower (11-4 instead of 16-4). Since currently there isn't any such system, do you have any suggestion about how should I improve the scenario when Elyssa is a Great Mage?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

As of release 1.11.7, The Sojournings of Grog will no longer load. I am using the Windows version. I'm not positive it wasn't something that was introduced earlier than 1.11.7, as I jumped from about 1.10.5 up to 1.11.7.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Woodruff wrote:As of release 1.11.7, The Sojournings of Grog will no longer load. I am using the Windows version. I'm not positive it wasn't something that was introduced earlier than 1.11.7, as I jumped from about 1.10.5 up to 1.11.7.
Nothing?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:As of release 1.11.7, The Sojournings of Grog will no longer load. I am using the Windows version. I'm not positive it wasn't something that was introduced earlier than 1.11.7, as I jumped from about 1.10.5 up to 1.11.7.
Nothing?
A message like this may be misunderstood for me ignoring it (be it accidentally or deliberately) :P . But in fact, we discussed the issue via PM, where I suggested you to update to the last beta available and to tell me the exact error message.
Today, you sent me a PM stating this:
Woodruff wrote:So I have to move to an unstable version of the game for you to be willing to deal with bugs? Seriously?
This was my answer:
The 1.11.12 version is not less stable than 1.11.7. 1.11.7 was a development version, so in fact was less stable than 1.11.12. 1.11.12 is a beta version, that is more stable than a development release, but less stable than a release candidate version; which in turn is more stable than a beta, but less than a stable version.
In fact, I suggested you to move to a more stable release, that has more features as well.
And you didn't yet tell me what the error message says. I just tried opening the campaign on my computer (and I'm on Windows as well, Wesnoth version 1.11.11), and it starts as I expected. As it is right now, unless you tell me the exact error message I can't do anything.
Hopefully that makes the things clear enough.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Larceny

Post by Larceny »

The first scenario of the second chapter is... ehm... broken.
I have reached a point in the mission that is allowing me to continue for as long as I'd like. I got to 50 turns before deciding to post this. I'm not at all sure how long I care to continue this scenario, but I'm sure I could go another 50 turns, had I the endurance necessary.

Be aware, there is 50 turns of replay there, and there's a lot of units >.>

I suppose I'll probably just look at the WML and try to decide at what point it's pointless to continue.

I'm using the latest stable release of Wesnoth.

EDIT: lol, just looked at the WML.... The next scenario is only 15 turns long... I just wasted a lot of time. :P Maybe add a note saying that staying beyond 15 turns is moot? *shrugs*
Attachments
TSoG-The_South_Gate_replay_-_50_turns.gz
This is the replay. lol.
(128.53 KiB) Downloaded 969 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Larceny wrote:EDIT: lol, just looked at the WML.... The next scenario is only 15 turns long... I just wasted a lot of time. :P Maybe add a note saying that staying beyond 15 turns is moot? *shrugs*
It's not exactly that way:
Spoiler:
However, the more turns that you resist, the more the Dwarves will be delayed in the next scenario, to the point that they won't show up at all in your situation :P (in your case they should appear on turn 38, but chances are high that you'll have already won the scenario by that point...).
Larceny

Post by Larceny »

Oh. Thanks. Either way, it was kind of amusing to see the dwarves scuffling over who got to get his head smacked next... And having those leveled units (I do get to keep them, right? :3) will probably be nice.

Also, giving all the magic items to the Desert Star results in much amusement. (poisoned magical melee, high dodging, crazy resistances, and can CATCH GRYPHONS 8) )

Anyways, the campaign's been pretty good to me so far, so thanks for the good times :V
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I see from the posts above (what a hiatus, I know) that resisting for 80-odd turns at the South Gate with Zurg before giving up out of boredom was completely unnecessary (I still have a high number of L2 and L3 troll units anyway).

Elyssa is becoming something of a Terminator by this point but I wonder how she'll catch gryphons.

I'm loving this campaign so far!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Sadaharu wrote:(what a hiatus, I know)
Yes, that was a long hiatus, but I'm planning to port the campaign to the 1.14 series. In fact, a lot of the work required is already done, I just need to replay the campaign from scratch (I don't want to put non-working stuff on the server!). But yes, the campaign isn't abandoned - far from it!
Sadaharu wrote:Elyssa is becoming something of a Terminator by this point but I wonder how she'll catch gryphons.
Yes, I always loved the idea of an overpowered Elyssa. I think that it suits her well ;) After all, you can't roam the deserts and pick old artifacts without learning a thing or two...
Sadaharu wrote:I'm loving this campaign so far!
Thank you!
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I've finished the campaign now. I used Jaash to explore the human temple and he gained a holy gale whip (26-1, magical, pierce!) which he can inexplicably use to massacre Drakes.

So, the last map, ‘Dragonbane’… I'm not sure. I think my side is overpowered. Basically, on turn 2 I can annihilate the Drake leader to the northeast, Gra Kon Kon (Lv. 3 Enforcer):

On turn 1 I move the griffons south to take the two villages to his stronghold (33,18 and 37,19) and move Elyssa to any nearby village. In his turn he then attacks the griffon there. By the end of turn 2 a combination of Elyssa, suicide charges by the griffons (if necessary) and Jaash's gale whip. By the next turn the griffons fly north (or south!) out of range, Elyssa teleports out, and the Elves begin closing in at leisure and eliminating the remnants with a combination of pierce attacks and slowing attacks. (I have a saved replay if you like)

The eastern flank of the dragon's defences is thus almost nonexistent.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Sadaharu wrote:(what a hiatus, I know)
Yes, that was a long hiatus, but I'm planning to port the campaign to the 1.14 series. In fact, a lot of the work required is already done, I just need to replay the campaign from scratch (I don't want to put non-working stuff on the server!). But yes, the campaign isn't abandoned - far from it!
Well, if you need help other than on programming drop me a line.

But 1.14… well, I guess another upgrade to the game won't hurt.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Sadaharu wrote:Elyssa is becoming something of a Terminator by this point but I wonder how she'll catch gryphons.
Yes, I always loved the idea of an overpowered Elyssa. I think that it suits her well ;) After all, you can't roam the deserts and pick old artifacts without learning a thing or two...
She summons creatures even outside a keep, she has an arcane poisonous attack and an impact poisonous attack (both magical), plus full immunity to fire and the ability to teleport away.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Just rescued the white whelp. According to the Unit Description, it has an ability called obscure. But that ability does not show up when the unit is selected, and it does not seem to have any effect on adjacent units.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Looks like it's an option that will become available in a level-up.

I went back to see if I had simply overlooked something in the Unit Description, but now (several scenarios later), it's giving me the message that I have to discover the unit in the game before I can see the details.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.