Roar of the Woses

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Roar of the Woses

Post by Alarantalara »

1) What are the versions of Battle for Wesnoth and the campaign that you played?

2) Which difficulty did you play on?

3) Did you use the Saurian Haruspex? If so, was it useful?

4) Did you find any of the special items? Were they worth the effort?

5) Was the difficulty of each scenario appropriate relative to each other?
I am especially interested in scenarios after the council as well as any scenario on difficulties other than normal.

6) Which scenario was the most enjoyable? Why?

7) Which scenario was the least enjoyable? Why?

Bugs reports are welcome and will be responded to in this thread. All other comments will be considered, but any changes resulting from them will appear in the development thread.
Last edited by Alarantalara on November 27th, 2010, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
EZE

Re: Roar of the Woses

Post by EZE »

I think there is a "bug" in 'Race on the Listra' scenario.
The commander was killed first, and the next cavalry killed ended the scenario.
3 other cavalry (and 2 pikemen) were still on the board.

This was in game v1.8.0, campaign v1.0.5, on hard.

I've got the replay but didn't see how to upload it to the post.
I will come back and answer the questions after finishing campaign.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

You're absolutely right: I only care if one is killed after the commander dies.
I'll fix it shortly.
Edit: And done. I also fixed a problem with the text domain for translations.
EZE

Post by EZE »

1) What are the versions of Battle for Wesnoth and the campaign that you played?
game v1.8.0, campaign v1.0.5

Hard

Only a little bit. The knife attack healing adjacent units was cool.
It was underpowered compared to oracle. If it got attacked twice, maybe adjacent units heal 6, but it is also dead.
Melee or Magic attack needs a boost to set it apart, or make the melee attack magical.

Never came across any.

Pretty close I would say.
Into the Depths - I was unfortunate enough to pick all of the longest paths and ran out of turns on first attempt.
Ambushed! - I had to hide in the swamp, the commando strategy was impossible with so many fast enemies. (didn't try mobile Wose wall.)

I enjoyed quite a few of them.
Oxbow swamp - the dialog was great and the scenario did well setting the tone for campaign.

Roar of the Woses - it didn't have any conversation on victory, or narration/epilogue.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Hello there. For once I'll use the formal feedback, since I see it's present.

Played it on BfW 1.9.5, campaign version was 1.2

Normal, but I tend to saveload so my feedback concerning difficulty is unreliable at best

I leveled my first Augur into this, because it seemed cool (also he had the Strong trait so I thought it'd be less of a waste to give him the only path that actually uses the melee attack). I like the concept of this unit very much. However, its stats are way too low to do anything. His special attack is melee, and yet he dies from two-three strikes from any decent lvl 2, meaning that you can only use his melee attack -and thus his special ability- on weak units, but then you might kill them and waste experience. As it stands, I lost it towards the middle of the campaign, and although I got another one, I almost never used it.
It could use more hps, maybe resistances or something. As it stands, he's way too frail to use his melee attack in most fights, and +1 damage on the ranged attack isn't enough to compensate for the loss of the Oracle's heal. I kinda regretted not having enough of those instead of my two Haruspexes, especially since I almost never got any resilient Augur.

I found the spectral cloak and it was awesome. Somehow it ended up on a Peri (the lvl 1 Fairy) even though I picked it with another unit, but I didn't regret it. The said Fairy hold off most of the Gryphons in the last scenario, allowing a wrecked Isarras to go back a bit. (I had sent him and other Nagas in the north to kill some stuff, those Myrmidons/Warriors were actually my main units for most of the campaign)

I am especially interested in scenarios after the council as well as any scenario on difficulties other than normal.
As I said, my comment here would be irrelevant. Seemed fine though, enemies don't have overwhelming income or anything. I heard people saying the footpad scenario was hard, but I did the two others, so can't know.

Hem, don't know. I don't remember one scenario particularly more enjoyable than the others, it was mostly constant...
The one where we have to stop the Cavalry is the most interesting one gameplay-wise, though the player needs to be very fast.

... except for two scenarios.
The first one, when we run away from the General, towards the cave. Duelists with the "Quick" trait are a huge pain, as the player can only recall during one turn (well, at least that's what the text seems to imply, I don't think we could run away if we waited one more turn) so I had only a minimum army, that I had also dispatched to explore every path as quickly as possible. (I had something like three units here, three there and one stray Lurker who was ahead of the others)
And then these guys, that I already hate in a normal setting, come and ZoC the hell out of my units. (well except Flankers and such obviously)
I didn't expect Loyalists to catch back so quickly, especially since they aren't supposed to be so mobile in a cave... it made the scenario really annoying because we have to fight the annoying beasts (ohaithar lvl2 serpent with lvl3-worth poisoning attacks)

The other is the last one. Not because it's particularly hard (not saying it's easy either), but because there should be dialogues and stuff that the Woses say to notify the player of their progression (or a notification in the objectives, or something). Especially since the central part takes so much time to go down, I almost thought my scenario had bugged... I think I put an Elder Wose there around turn 22, then at turn 23 I put an Ancient One instead who hold off for the next TWENTY turns (He was attacked each turn by a spearman and an archer, I never killed them because I feared the Mages much more and all I wanted was to hold the enemies, I had three Woses on the castle so I couldn't get swarmed)... and then finally it ended. It is particularly frustrating because the two "secondary" parts fall down in like three-five turns (I had an Elder on the northernest one, and an Ancient on the southest) so while it seems logical to wait more for the main one, I didn't expect a factor 4 or something.

Wait... now that I think about it, you say the Woses have to "rest", but does it count if they get attacked ? But then again, if that was the case I wouldn't have won it at all, since the enemies attacked during each turn. (both ranged, they attacked for so long that they actually leveled up)

Overall nicey campaign, but to be honest, the whole "hey let's gather an army before we attack" part was a bit borink. Felt a bit artificial on the edge, though I know it's hard to find original objectives, especially for secondary scenarios like these ones.
I liked the one with the Thugs, though I won it too easily because the stupid Paladin suicide-charged my units. (I was waiting a bit to let him send everything on thugs so I could sneak in without taking the risk of losing my frail Soothsayers or something, and also it was day iirc)

P.S. Inspired by Tolkien ? The campaign's name and the last scenario clearly made me think about what happens at Isengard in the second book. (If I'm not mistaken, been an eternity since I read those)
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Just tried 1.2.2 on 1.9.6... did you ignore the previous guy's complaints about the 3rd level or was it even more annoying before?

And I mean you have to explore EVERY part of the cave (which imo is not made clear enough "explore cave" is a little vague) while you only have 1 turn of recruiting and your being chased by a massive horde of lv2s?

Apart from that I found it a fun campaign with fun, innovate levels (I can see your effort to make things different), and the story and dialogue is pretty good, but I really think the 3rd level should be toned down.. or you get a chance to play some of those raids to build up your team.

Edit: Oh and for the second misson, maybe add a counter for how many villages you've destroyed
taptap

Post by taptap »

BfW 1.9.9. Roar of the Woses 1.2.3

Flanker, hard

Yes. But until now (4th scenario) more for its better ranged attack than for his special attack.

1st scenario) ok, when your opponent doesn't make humans ally with orcs prematurely. i guess waiting for humans to finish orcs, with early finish, is the best way to play it. finished the last turn.

2nd scenario) needed to restart. best was when i proceeded west as far as possible, so i had space to retreat during the day. finished the last turn. (12 villages effectively means defeat the enemy, with 8 or 10 it might be different, but for 12 villages you have to finish the enemy

3rd scenario) nice. not so hard. keep your units together and have enough augur types with you. only the spider and trolls were a challenge. (i recruited two turns, otherwise you would not have enough units - and you don't have to explore everything, I am e.g. happy that I didn't wake up the serpent the loyalists had fun with later).

4th scenario) minimal gold, very hard (3-4 failed attempts, not yet won, best run lost on turn 24). being forced to play static defense with saurians, that are weak against everything and whose strength is mobility, is tough. on hard your ally is pretty weak. facing 525+100 gold worth of opponents with 150 gold drakes (too much of that is spent for gliders instantly, because of the unflagged villages) + 150 gold saurians in a dark or twilight (illuminated hexes) cave. especially the bats are nasty. (the move order is very nasty, you, opponent 1, ally, opponent 2. quite often your poor saurians have to face two attacks the turn from the single hex like this = a full health L2 saurian can die in one turn when facing a single hex with only a troll whelp, thanks to the move order!) everytime the drakes manages to kill something, i believe the key is to get maximal work out of the drakes and using your healers to prevent their premature death.)

Bugs reports are welcome and will be responded to in this thread. All other comments will be considered, but any changes resulting from them will appear in the development thread.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I am unable to beat scenario 4 on hard with minimal gold = 150 (which is kind of unavoidable after the last one I believe) despite a pretty recall list. On 1.9.9 (I don't know whether the campaign has changed, but orchish archers are stronger now and good against everything I field).

Even if I manage to defeat the main wave of bats (2 dreadbats initially 3-4 bloodbats short after it, later only single bats), the fight against the bats stresses my remaining forces so much, that my perimeter breaks somewhere between move 18-22 (these are the well done runs) as soon as this happens the numerical superiority will make itself felt = I am lost. Even more desperate than the initial Defense of Ka'lian (in LoW). The drakes switch between totally useless and reliable help, pretty much depending on positioning chance, if they engage in the main area (instead of suiciding themselves against the waiting orcs) and I manage to put a healer behind them in time, they can be very useful.

Regardless of version, I would be happy if someone who can beat it on hard (with minimal gold and average luck) can post a replay. I completely fail. I found this much harder than some expert difficulty mainline campaigns on highest difficulty.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Lyratelle

Post by Lyratelle »

I can't trigger the victory conditions of the Poacher Rescue - I've kille each and every elf on turn nine, but whereever I go, nothing else happens.
So the units can wander around until turn 24 and then I lose :x
Which units must be in exactly what position to win the senario?!?

I play with engine 1.9.11
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The poacher leader, Gulthamos, must move to the encampment you start in. You can identify him as leader by the silver crown.
Lyratelle

Post by Lyratelle »

normal

No. I use almost always new saurian units exept for the herbalist. The experienced units are not worth the upkeep.

The ring of leadership is nice - but I did not manage to get it with an appropriate (level 3) unit.

The Lintanir Forest scenario is too easy, I think. The orcs are no worthy enemy.

Crossroads. Beating the undead with only faeries and woses was fun.
And into the depths. I love exploring.

Ambushed!
You have no chance to beat them. Losing a lot of units to bring in one assassin is no much fun, I think.

But at all it's a nice campaign so far. If I finally get the poachers rescue finished...
Lyratelle

Post by Lyratelle »

Alarantalara wrote:The poacher leader, Gulthamos, must move to the encampment you start in. You can identify him as leader by the silver crown.
Aha!
I got no unit with that name.
I tested it again: If I free Arat (the man in the first cage), also the second cage vanished. So after freeing Arat, the leader is no more available!
Bad trap. I didn't recognize this the first time I played.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The cage is still there. It's just invisible. Alternatively, the latest version corrects that error in visibility.
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

Bug report: I found an item that gives Leadership in the "Into the Depths" scenario. I gave it to a level 2 unit, and after that unit advanced to level 3, Leadership still worked like it was a level 2 unit, giving bonuses only to level 0 and 1 units.

(Btw I'm enjoying this campaign a lot, it's very good and I think it should be "mainlined".)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

That's actually as intended at the time I wrote it: it always gives leadership like a level 2 unit even if the unit is level 1. I can see how it might be confusing, though: after the statement that it allows leading new recruits, it appears just like ordinary leadership for the unit. I'll either rename the ability or make it work like normal leadership.

(Thanks for the compliment!)