Roar of the Woses

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Swiss_Army_Cheese

Re: Roar of the Woses

Post by Swiss_Army_Cheese »

There is this nagging question I've got... Did you intend for the name of this campaign to be a Spoonerism of "War of the Roses"?
Cygnus

Post by Cygnus »

1) What are the versions of Battle for Wesnoth and the campaign that you played?
1.10.3 and 1.2.7

2) Which difficulty did you play on?
Normal

3) Did you use the Saurian Haruspex? If so, was it useful?
No. I found more useful the oracles.

4) Did you find any of the special items? Were they worth the effort?
The cloak. Yes, it wasn´t difficult to achieve

5) Was the difficulty of each scenario appropriate relative to each other?
I am especially interested in scenarios after the council as well as any scenario on difficulties other than normal.
I found very difficult The Steam Caverns. I had to replay several times the previous scenario to get enough gold.

6) Which scenario was the most enjoyable? Why?
Race on the Listra and The Roar of the Wose. In the first it´s funny the race against the cavalrymen and in the second there is a lot of strategy involved.

7) Which scenario was the least enjoyable? Why?
The Steam Caverns. The suicidal strategy of your ally is a nuisance.

All in all, a very good campaign. Congratulations.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Swiss_Army_Cheese wrote:There is this nagging question I've got... Did you intend for the name of this campaign to be a Spoonerism of "War of the Roses"?
yes iirc the author did say it was, but the word play doesnt translate well
Altruist

Post by Altruist »

1) What are the versions of Battle for Wesnoth and the campaign that you played?
Wesnoth 1.10.3
The Roar of the Wose 1.2.7

Ambusher (normal)

I used one... until he was killed. I noticed that I used more often the ranged attack than the melee special attack. After the option to recruit Sprites I used those for ranged attacks and Augurs I thought more worthwhile to level up to Soothsayers.

Well, somehow every special item is fun and worth the effort. I found the spectral cloak and the ghostly Peri was fun, quite useful and managed to survive.

5) Was the difficulty of each scenario appropriate relative to each other? I am especially interested in scenarios after the council as well as any scenario on difficulties other than normal.
I played on normal. The most difficult I found the Steam Caverns. I had 237 gold available for recruitment, couldn't hold my ground the first 3 tries while at the 4th time I could had completly defeated the opponents with a few more turns.

The outcome depended too much on the allied Drakes imho and how they managed to hold their ground. If they moved badly and got slaughtered too fast, I couldn't hold my ground, either.

To be honest the two scenarios I had the most problems with: steam cavern and the final dam destruction scenario. I liked the challenge.

Highway Robbery: competing with the bandit who kills the rider first and at the same time loosing the scenario when the bandit gets killed didn't appeal to me.
In my scenario the leader of the riders moved out rather early from his keep and I could kill him quite fast. If he had moved into the bandits' direction, pobably they would had gotten the kill. So I feel the outcome was too dependent on the movement behaviour of a unit one hasn't control over.

Suggestions:
* final scenario: A counter for how long the woses need to destroy their section would also add some athmosphere. I, too, would had liked a dialogue after the destruction of the dam.
* Since the woses are critical to bring down the dam, it would be splendid to have this mentioned already in one of the previous scenarios. Either when the Woses are met in the Lintanir forest in the form of an invitation to join the saurians cause. Or even in the scenario before in the form of a dialogue that to destroy the dam, woses would be great allies and thus the party needs to find them.
* steam caverns: Perhaps it would be an idea to transfer command of the drakes to the player. Not right from the beginning but when the forces arrive at the centre place with the eggs, it would be a good time for a greeting dialogue with the option to take over command of also the drakes or not.

Misc:
* I liked very much to play vs humans, the evil dam builders.
* Sprites are cool *grin
* to help the saurians with added units of a wide variety and some loyals was fine and fun, too
taptap

Post by taptap »

Just for the record: The first scenario is still unstable. Even with the different weights given to the targets the Naga won't resist a potential kill against loyalists. While it wouldn't be impossible to win against both of them in principle (on hard), I tried today, the turn limit then isn't sufficient and the Naga leader getting himself killed (instead of retreating) ends the scenario.

It is somewhat irritating that the campaign features mainly saurians, but shows a sea serpent as campaign logo while being named after the woses. Imo saurians are impressive enough for at least the picture :).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Zerbugug
Translator

Post by Zerbugug »

There's a problem in the scenario were you have to recruit highwaymen : in my case the bandit leader was killed straight away by the loyalists.

Of course this means I'm completely stuck. I don't really like this idea of having to kill some unit before some other player anyway. It seems to me that it depends too much of whatever the loyalists will do, and you don't control them.

(I have to mention that so far I've found this campaign was really great.)
I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me. — R. Kipling
Magzimum

Post by Magzimum »

Alarantalara wrote:1) What are the versions of Battle for Wesnoth and the campaign that you played?
Wesnoth 1.10
Roar of the Woses 1.2.8
Alarantalara wrote:2) Which difficulty did you play on?
Easy
Alarantalara wrote:3) Did you use the Saurian Haruspex? If so, was it useful?
Yes. A nice unit, with a useful attack. I liked the sacrifice, but since the ranged attack is more powerful, I ended up using that. The number of hitpoints is rather low (but that goes for all saurians) so I really had to be careful with the Haruspex. It is a pity there is no beefed up level 3 version of it though.
Alarantalara wrote:4) Did you find any of the special items? Were they worth the effort?
I found the torc, and gave it to Kylix. That changed the icon from a crown (leader) to a loyal unit, which was a little confusing. It was easy to get, so I guess it was worth the effort.
Alarantalara wrote:5) Was the difficulty of each scenario appropriate relative to each other?
I am especially interested in scenarios after the council as well as any scenario on difficulties other than normal.
Some scenarios were really easy, while some others were very difficult. The last 2 are far more difficult than the rest, and I had to resort to save/load cheating.
Alarantalara wrote:6) Which scenario was the most enjoyable? Why?
The Steam Caverns, Lintanir Forest and Race on the Listra were all three quite good. The balance was good, so I did not have to reload every time. I especially enjoyed the Race on the Listra, where my units got in front of the racing cavalry just in time. In the Steam Caverns I had to restart one time, after I realized I really had to recall a unit with a quick trait at the front of the keep to defend the eggs on time, because those allied guardians just abandon them. But I ended up setting up a defense next to the bridges, so I only had to fight a small number of enemies every turn, while being able to rotate the sick units to the back to be healed.

All three scenarios were difficult enough to make it a challenge, but not so hard that I struggled. Compliments.
Alarantalara wrote:7) Which scenario was the least enjoyable? Why?
I struggled with the Back door scenario, as the dwarves are very powerful in comparison to my puny saurians (even though I had level 3 Flankers, two dwarfs can kill those i 1 turn). The wraith is nearly invincible against saurians and naga. And the crazy amount of level 0 undead are quite a delay, especially when they're all lined up on that bridge in the south. My units were powerful enough to kill them, but I needed a fair amount of luck for that (and there's plenty of luck with some save/load cheating). All the time, the water was destroying the villages I owned, so my gold disappeared and I ended up saving nothing for the next scenario.

And I have no idea how to beat the final scenario (at the dam) without save/load cheating. Saurians are puny, and lose easily, especially to any level 2 loyalist unit. In many battles, my level 3 units measured up in hitpoints and strength to the level 1 units of the enemy. The level 2 swordsmen were a real pain, because even my woses (who only get 20% terrain) were constantly getting beaten up by these. And then suddenly there were 6 gryphons, who also have a blade attack (it takes only 2 of them to kill a wose). I had to go back a couple of turns to anticipate. And finally, on the southern part of the dam, all units get only 1 hex movement in the snow, so my saurians were close to useless (puny and slow) because I could not rotate the damaged units to the back to heal them. The AIs get between 4 and 7 fresh units every turn, so I pretty much had to kill at least 4-7 units every turn. That was fine while the level 2 units from team blue were still far away, but once the swordsmen and red mages mixed into the fight, my woses (the only really useful units I had) were in a lot of trouble. Without save/load cheating, it was not possible for me to kill the level 2's consistently in 1 turn through the whole scenario, while leaving those strong enemie alive was no option either... Maybe I should have passed the scenario before this with more gold, but as I said, I couldn't.

Because The Back Door and the Roar of the Woses (the final dam scenario) were so difficult, I found them the least enjoyable.
mise1993

Post by mise1993 »

easy

Yes, only for the ranged attack.

Didn't find any.

I don't know, the first 3-4 they seemed mostly well balanced.

Maybe the first one or the third one? Haven't played through yet.

Well, I got stuck on the Steam Caverns. The eggs are too far. I couldn't get to them in time and the drakes ignored the fact that the enemy can get to it so I lost without even playing. Frustrating.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Just finished this campaign - maybe it's because I haven't played Wesnoth in a while, but I found this campaign to be really hard.

1.2.8, Wesnoth 1.10.4

Medium

No, I mostly just used a couple soothsayers and had them sit behind the lines healing.

Didn't find any.

Too easy: Lintanir Forest (where you fight an orc who has basically no gold), and highway robbery (ally has massive gold, you just need to sneak in to make the kill)
Too hard: Steam Caverns and The Back Door (see #7), and maybe the final scenario (the humans have extremely high income so you have to be very aggressive from the beginning).

I thought race on the Listra was really interesting - it was a really tense scenario since you barely have time to stop the cavalry.
I also liked the feel of the last scenario, it's like a desperate race against time to destroy the dam before you get overrun by the hordes of loyalists. I found all the frozen terrain to be really annoying though, as most saurians can only move one hex so you basically can't use them.

The steam caverns - this scenario took me a lot of tries and was really frustrating (I liked the concept of it though). The entire first 5 turns consists of you slogging your units in a big circle to get to the battle. (Maybe have the keep be closer to the center so the army doesn't have to travel such a large distance?). Also it's very dependent on how things go during the first 5 turns with the drakes, which you have no control over. On one attempt the center was already flooded with orcs and the northeast eggs were stolen literally before I could move a single unit there, and on another (the successful attempt) the drakes were doing really well in the center. It would really help if the saurian keep were like 1 turn closer to the center battle.

Also, I thought The Back Door was a bit too hard. It's already hard fighting lvl 2 dwarves in a cave with fragile units like saurians (I tried luring them into the water which worked for a couple units but the rest just shuffled around on the cave terrain). But there are also level 2 undead which are hard to deal with since most of your units are useless against them.
But, the my main issue with this scenario is the 93894839 walking corpses clogging up the southern entrance. There was basically a walking corpse on every hex, and it's guaranteed to cost a lot of turns, which is not a nice thing to surprise the player with at the very end.
This scenario would be a lot nicer if those walking corpses were removed - they are less a challenge and more of an annoyance.

---
General comments on campaign: I found the ability to recruit human outlaws (poachers, thugs, footpads) useless (I leveled the loyals but never recruited any), since in the later levels they are completely inferior to woses, and also late in the campaign you don't really have the opportunity to level fresh recruits. It would be cool if instead maybe they showed up as an allied side in the final battle to provide a little distraction to the loyalists.

Overall a very nice campaign with an interesting plot and some very unique scenarios. Nice work!
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

I have a nagging question. :hmm: In the Steam Caverns scenario, I found a secret passage that opens up from the main cavern going back into the keep. Kylix asked, "Why didn't you find it on our side?" Well now Kylix, that's a darn good question. So I restarted and tried every hex around the keep, in the entire west actually. Can't figure how to get the passage opened from our side. Did I miss something?

I left my 3 nagas there while I moved a quick unit around to open it, the fastest I could get there was turn 9. But it would be awesome to have it opened up right away so everyone else didn't have to go around. Does it have anything to do with the steam on turn 3?
Attachments
image.jpg
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

There's no way to open it from the close side. It's there so that if someone left Kylix back to recruit more units, they might be able to get to the battle soon enough to be actually useful.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

Thank you, Alarantalara, for the reply! Good to know.
And thanks for making such a great campaign!

The Roar of the Woses
1) What are the versions of Battle for Wesnoth and the campaign that you played? Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS app ver 1.0.4
2) Which difficulty did you play on? Normal

* I played through the entire campaign twice. The first time I didn't have the right units advanced to win and I used the wrong strategy. So I played it again, took notes and added some hints and tips at the end of this post.

This campaign is one of the best I've played yet, I highly recommend it. The maps were beautiful. I especially enjoyed using the Woses with their ability to hide in the forest and ambush. There were fun things in this campaign I have never used before, like faeries with faerie fire, the Spectral Cloak and a Haruspex saurian which had a Sacrifice trait. A really well done campaign, it should be mainlined!

Yes, the ranged cold magical curse was especially useful in the Steam caverns. It worked well killing grunts. I tried using the melee dagger and sacrifice, but the Haruspex was severely wounded so I didn't use it much. (Would be really cool if he had the ability to advance to a level 3 and had the ability to heal, something comparable to a MoL, Elvish Shyde or Mermaid Diviner.)

Torc of leadership: I gave it to the loyal naga, Issarus. Leadership in the water was really helpful.
(I also advanced the Drake to a Flameheart for "mobile" leadership.)
Spectral cloak: I lost 2 sprites, but would have anyway, so it was worth it. The sprite with the cloak could drain her enemies.
Loyal Dwarf: The perfect item, no effort required. And while he had the "weak" trait, he was still very useful.
The Highwaymen (Thugs) and Rangers (Poachers) were instrumental in the final showdown, I think they were definitely worth the effort.

I noticed that some scenarios had a pretty low early finish bonus reward, like Highway Robbery and Backdoor with only about 10/turn. If you get close to that much in income from villages, it makes sense to milk the xp instead.
Too Easy: Highway Robbery
Just right: Dam Delay, The Back Door, Oxbow Swamp, Race on Listra, Lintanair Forest, Roar of the Woses.
Hard: Crossroads, Into the Depths, Steam Caverns.
Steam Caverns: The map was beautiful, but it took 6 turns just to get the fighting. Also the game would end if the eggs were smashed before you got there to help, so maybe the enemies should be slowed down somehow or the secret passage made to open both ways.
Roar of the Woses: Challenging, like a final battle should be. Required a good deal of strategy. Would have been nice to have a break in the flood of loyalists, but the Ancient Woses could smash them like flies with their giant broccoli-shaped heads.

A side note: Maybe add some dialog at the end of the final flood scenario, something like:
A Shocktrooper saying, "Holy crap! I'm gonna sink to the bottom like a tin can."
Or Macharan crying into his helmet, "How can I face the other Grand Marshals when they find out I was defeated by lizards and trees? I can never show my face at a parade again!"
And Kylix, as he looks out over the devastation, saying "It did look pretty damn cool when that cool dam blew." 8)

Race on the Listra. It was fun racing to cut off the calvary.
Poacher Rescue. It was difficult to kill the elves. Sometimes it took 4 of my units to kill one elf, and the elf would still beat the crap out of them all before he died. It was frustrating after awhile. Maybe I just had some unlucky hits.

* Some hints and tips: There are some spoilers below, but it may make the game more fun for you, depending on how you like to play. I like hints if I get stuck and I like to find the Easter eggs. I think the game goes faster and is more fun.
Spoiler:
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
skelegonsans

Post by skelegonsans »

Heya, i just wanted to say that the campaign is really awesome, with great story, dialogues, gameplay..
Perfect!! :D

I have only one suggestion. Since this is a saurian and naga based campaign, maybe you can add a few more custom units for each?
(Btw, i didnt use that new saurian unit, but it does seem to be good. I just preffer to make LOTS of soothsayers :lol: )
Papyrus: "SO, SANS, WHEN IS THE HUMAN COMING?? I WANNA LOOK MY SUNDAY BEST... OR AT LEAST MY TUESDAY PRETTY-GOOD."
Sans: "don't you only have one outfit?"
Papyrus: "YEAH, BUT I COULD STYLE MY HAIR!"
Big Undertale/FNaF fan, creator/mantainer of More Units addon.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

I also really liked this campaign. Love playing with unusual races, (not Loyalists, Elfs or Dwarfs.) I'm no Wesnoth crack, but in my opinion the campaign is pretty balanced in itself, and I liked the story and the dialogues. (Although there are some minor logical flaws. Why does the Wose chief give you authority over his troops, just because there is a pretty weak orc gang approaching? I know, it's important for the story, so I take it. ;) )

Also getting outlaws as allies was kind of weird, and at that point of the campaign, being able to recruit them wasn't really crucial as well. A couple of loyal allies would certainly have been enough. Otherwise I pretty enjoyed the campaign.

1.10.7 / 1.2.8

normal / medium

Yeah, I did try it. The sacrifice dagger is an interesting invention, but not much of use, as you don't want to use the melee attack often with this unit. So it's basically losing the healing ability of the oracle in exchange to 3 additional points of damage per turn on average. I got one of them, and he made it to the final scenario, where he died a heroic death at the middle section of the dam. Soothsayers are more important though.

No, didn't find any of them.

Lintanir Forest was comparatively easy and could have been a little bit harder. Otherwise it seemed pretty ok. Chose the Thugs and Poachers way, so can't say anything about the footpads. First try, I chose poachers first, which didn't help me in any way against the skeletons in Crossroads, and since I was on minimum gold, I didn't manage to win this although trying a couple of times. Went back to the council and chose thugs first, and that was a lot easier. Finished the final scenario in 46 turns with just 7 remaining units. 8)

Steam Cavern and the final scenario, because I like larger battles with lots of enemies to wear down, and the extra challenges (protecting the eggs / destroy the dam) made them somewhat special. The latter applies to Race on the Listra as well.

Lintanir Forest was way too easy.