2P Campaign Battle System

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

H-Hour

2P Campaign Battle System

Post by H-Hour »

1. What versions of 2p Campaign Battle System and Battle for Wesnoth were you using?

2. Which scenario(s) are you providing feedback for?

3. What factions were you playing as?

4. Did you find the scenario(s) too difficult or too easy when compared to other scenario(s) in their level grouping?

5. How did you feel about the balance of different units you faced and the different map options and terrain you faced? Was there anything you felt was missing or under-represented?

6. Was there a particular map or scenario you would like to see more of? Larger maps, smaller maps, lots of enemies, fewer but stronger enemies, etc.

7. What improvements would you like to see to any particular scenario or the overall battle system?
ALX23

Re: 2P Campaign Battle System

Post by ALX23 »

I believe you should know that wesnoth saves are corrupt ( :cry: by default) which in this case makes recall list bugged after loading.
It makes you have the previous recall list after you win the scenario... at least in hotseat on my PC (nasty bug - takes lots of time to verify).
:!: TL's WC (world conquest) has it solved, so you may simply copy solution.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Hi Alx23, thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me what version of Wesnoth you're using? This is made for 1.8.4 and has been thoroughly tested both in hotseat and on the server. Azrael and I have been playing on the server for a while now and have not had a single corrupted save with this system (we have experienced corrupted saves with other MP campaigns).

I know that multiplayer saves can still be fickle, but I don't know of any reason why CBS saves would be more of a problem than any other saves. I've heard that replay saves are the worst, so you may want to avoid saving after you have won the scenario.

I hope if others have experienced this problem they will post, but I'm not sure there are many people playing this to be honest.
ALX23

Post by ALX23 »

H-Hour wrote:Hi Alx23, thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me what version of Wesnoth you're using? This is made for 1.8.4 and has been thoroughly tested both in hotseat and on the server. Azrael and I have been playing on the server for a while now and have not had a single corrupted save with this system (we have experienced corrupted saves with other MP campaigns).
1.8.5 ... and I doubt that recall list coded in WML was made for WC just for fun.
oranjegroente

Post by oranjegroente »

1. What versions of 2p Campaign Battle System and Battle for Wesnoth were you using?

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.4, Battle system 1.0.0 and 1.1.1

2. Which scenario(s) are you providing feedback for?

In general, all level 1 and level 2, some level 3

3. What factions were you playing as?

First we played northerners and undead, now we swapped to ageless era using dark elves and primeval

4. Did you find the scenario(s) too difficult or too easy when compared to other scenario(s) in their level grouping?

The level 1's which are the introduction seemed very well balanced, so are the level 2, although we did find it to be a bit easy. We will check out the level 3 and onwards possibly this week so hoping for some more challenges there, but if you like we did play all the level 1 maps first and then all the level 2 maps, then you seemed to both outnumber and outrank all of the opposing units.

5. How did you feel about the balance of different units you faced and the different map options and terrain you faced? Was there anything you felt was missing or under-represented?

I think the balance was very nice of the units we encountered, although, in level 1 the dwarven underground map, we were a bit annoyed that they recruited mages, which proved no problem but we would've rather just fought dwarves.

6. Was there a particular map or scenario you would like to see more of? Larger maps, smaller maps, lots of enemies, fewer but stronger enemies, etc.

I believe it was a level 2 or a level 3 map ( yes we played a couple already :) ) where you were fighting an arch mage and dwarves in a seemingly floating maze-like map. Which was very nice in our opinion. On the other hand, in a level 2 map against orcs in the snow we were very annoyed with the terrain. Mainly because it was really easy to trap the orcs in a way that they had 20% terrain def and thus could be slaughtered by almost anything

7. What improvements would you like to see to any particular scenario or the overall battle system?

I'd say keep up the nice work, but yeah we would like some story in between aswell but I don't know if that is planned or even was planned for the scenario. I like random slaughtering from time to time aswell though :)
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks for playing and thanks for the feedback!
oranjegroente wrote: The level 1's which are the introduction seemed very well balanced, so are the level 2, although we did find it to be a bit easy. We will check out the level 3 and onwards possibly this week so hoping for some more challenges there, but if you like we did play all the level 1 maps first and then all the level 2 maps, then you seemed to both outnumber and outrank all of the opposing units.
Yes, you should only need to play 2 or maybe 3 of the level 1 and 2 maps before moving forward. Otherwise they will be too easy. Please let us know how you find the level 3 maps. Azrael and I were getting beat up on one of them in our last game and I'm considering giving a very small (2-4) base income to the players from level 3 and up to help support the veteran armies.
oranjegroente wrote:in level 1 the dwarven underground map, we were a bit annoyed that they recruited mages, which proved no problem but we would've rather just fought dwarves.
Sounds reasonable to me. I'll try to remember to make this change for the next version.
oranjegroente wrote:in a level 2 map against orcs in the snow we were very annoyed with the terrain. Mainly because it was really easy to trap the orcs in a way that they had 20% terrain def and thus could be slaughtered by almost anything
Azrael and I found the same in our game on that map. We were down to our last few guys but were holding off a massive horde. I'll revisit that map and see if I can fix it in any way.
saiko-chriskun

Post by saiko-chriskun »

when one of my leaders died I got an error although I'm not sure what was affected by it.

<Invalid WML found> [gold] missing required amount= attribute
saiko-chriskun

Post by saiko-chriskun »

also in the beginning of each battle as a defeat condition it says if either player dies, yet I still won when I was able to kill the enemy while my companion having died earlier
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

saiko-chriskun wrote:when one of my leaders died I got an error although I'm not sure what was affected by it.

<Invalid WML found> [gold] missing required amount= attribute
Thanks for reporting. Can you give me a little more information: what version of Wesnoth, what OS, what map it happened on and maybe how much gold you had at the time? If you have a save just before it happens that would be nice.
saiko-chriskun wrote:also in the beginning of each battle as a defeat condition it says if either player dies, yet I still won when I was able to kill the enemy while my companion having died earlier
Yes, this is a bit of a "cheat" that's possible. I may work out a way to enforce a loss in the future, but right now it requires the losing player to move their leader to trigger the end of the game.
saiko-chriskun

Post by saiko-chriskun »

sorry don't have a save or anything. Happened on latest stable version, on a level 1 scenario involving underground dwarves, don't remember anything about how much gold.
Mathius

Post by Mathius »

Hey not sure if this is the right place to leave my message but i am having trouble saving units on any of the 2 player games. Gold also wont transfer to the next map. I'm running version 1.8.3 and i have had trouble both on this and the haunted woods campaign. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this work i would appreciate it.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Hi Mathius,

If you are playing in hotseat mode (a local game, not on the server), this might help you.

If you are playing on the server, I have heard other people say that on scenario two they lack the recalls, but that on scenario three they come back. I've never been able to replicate it myself.

Other things to check: don't save and load an end-of-scenario "replay" save. For some reason I have heard they don't work as well.
wiloyee2

Post by wiloyee2 »

HI,
I yust tried the 2P CBS and only in Level Zero the Peasnt collect any resources.

Whats running wrong ?
Using esnoth 1.01.5

Greatings
Bernd
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

I don't understand the problem. Are you talking about the Game Steward? The Game Steward is not meant to enter play at any point in time. He is just a device I use to handle the level selection process. He explains himself when you first start a game with 2p CBS.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

I played this today with default units, without having Ageless installed.
Every time a new map is loaded appears an error about an unit from ageless missing.

In the code a comment indicated that this unit is inserted as third side to not end games prematurely.
A better way to do this is to add victory_when_enemies_defeated=no to every scenario. This is already included with a macro for all maps with default units as well as the astral map, it's probably the best to include it into the other maps too and drop the hidden_man side entirely.

Another problem I encountered:
When player 2 (who also is not the host) enters the portal and chooses the next level, he will end up in linger mode instead the next level loading. player 1 (the host) is still waiting for turn end of player 1, or rather for the next level to load.
In this stuck situation, changing the controller of player 2 to the host yields a message to player 2 that some commands, which have not been send over network yet, are revoked. In other words, for some reason player 2 ends up in linger mode, but the game does not continue because result of the event with choosing the next level hasn't been send to the host.
Try out the dark board theme.