Brave Wings

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AxalaraFlame

Re: Brave Wings

Post by AxalaraFlame »

OMG u are finally back! After all I can finish the rest words with u.

Ok, now l suppoose ur campaign can be really made better so becoming a mainline because it is really doable. But u may need some big changes.

1. the first scenerio. I tested a several times, and l suppose this one must be the best choice: give drakos and nagas the same satandard of income per villa (ur setting is drako got 1 while naga got 2, which is obviously not cool...this does not really mean much big differences, but make players feel comfortable), and make nagas recruit only lv2 warriors, so they easily runs out and have insufficient fund to get more units. U said that this is only made to be a fake scenerio, and use leader+two units to assault the warrior would be solid, right? Well, most players are not of oringinal mind; they will recruit and fight as usual, instead of fight this exotic way as u recommended. :wink: So I suggest u'd better let them fight as usual, and even make the leader a lv3 Myrmiddon so it is actually harder to kill. Let alone this is only the first scenerio...giving the players a head-on blow is really not cool, bro :annoyed: Did u think that they may not play it again and simply replace it, saying it is already too hard on the first scenerio, for it is only an add-on among many many good add-ons, am I right? :)

2. the sea wars are too much to make a player feel bored, at least l feel so, bro. I would suggest u to cut at least 2 off, since drakos fighting alongside mermans is not as usual as u supposed to be. Instead, they would rather fight on land terrian against orcs or ogres or trolls or something else alone...but not with mermans, plz not mermans again :x

3. sword drako shall have 6 mobility, less hp, and made to be 12 exp higher harder to level up to top (balanced). 5 points makes no sense and practiacally not very useful in this campaign. Most scenerios need fast assault.

4.Are u really sure for making 3 cave scenerios for drakos is fine??! I doubt it deeply. :roll:

5. Pikeman cannot use that pike which is made for drako arbiters makes no sense, even if they will not be alongside u after that thunderthrow war. Drakes are already known for weapon crafting; they don't need dwarvish weapons. So what is the usage for this pike? Obviously, dwarves made it for humans or elves. So why cannot a human bear it?? Q.E D. :wink:

6. There should have had more praise, historical records, and extollment from other races singing the efforts drakos had made for the peace. This is not a big problem, and can be added in many ways.

7. portrait thing...well, l tried a few, but l made it badly. if u solve this, ur campaign will be made famous.

Sorry for so many words chattering here, but really, this campain has potential, since we still dont have any drake mainline campaigns. It is such a big word for me as an outsider, but l hope u do it well and get more fans. :)

BR

I.R.Lionheart
taptap

Post by taptap »

4.Are u really sure for making 3 cave scenerios for drakos is fine??! I doubt it deeply. :roll:
I second that. I gave up the campaign on the second cave scenario. As far as I understand the cave scenarios were not even originally made for this campaign. It really is - together with saurians on ice - a design flaw, but for mysterious reasons most campaign designers seem to love it.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

dunno - there is no scenario that I really disliked. I am just sad that there aren't more drake campaigns ;)
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

taptap wrote:
I second that. I gave up the campaign on the second cave scenario. As far as I understand the cave scenarios were not even originally made for this campaign. It really is - together with saurians on ice - a design flaw, but for mysterious reasons most campaign designers seem to love it.
I concur. Most cave scenerios seem to disturb campaign balance fiercely; different leveled players play it on different ways, which may lead to varies consequence. Some good ones would finish it fast but noobs would finish it with much effort.

But that is not much a great big case. After all we only need to add more flat terrians and cut one scenerio off. I still think it has potential, for among the current campaigns using drakes as main units, this one is the best. Burning Soul is on the other hand sucks, while others, I don't even wanna give compliments.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Well, IMO, a drake campaign is not really necessary on mainline.
Wings of Victory is only one that is possible to be a mainline campaign in the near future AFaIK.
Not as much as my Naga campaign, this campaign is a kind of like typical UMC. I appreciate the attention, though.
taptap wrote:
Okay, I will think about another path so that players don’t have to go to scenario Bandit’s Connection for you and players like you when I have time. Avoiding scenario Hidden Cave is impossible due to follow this story (stories are the most important part of the campaigns on mine). Actually, the scenario Bandit’s Connection is just another part of the scenario Hidden Cave (the same cave), so skipping it is not a problem for playing, just a little less gold.

There is not the third cave map in this campaign, though. (only one cave that is spread to two scenarios)
energyman76c wrote:dunno - there is no scenario that I really disliked. I am just sad that there aren't more drake campaigns ;)
Yes, I agree with you.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
taptap

Post by taptap »

I guess the first cave scenario could feature the dwarf cave and the spider etc. but a big part of the map can be turned to open air terrain with little problem most of it is normal terrain already after all - even the second dwarf cave could be hills and mountains (and more gold for the AI). Seeing the second cave scenario after finishing the first one with heavy losses really frustrated me. Especially as the conclusion was that I have to replay some earlier scenarios just to manage to get through these caves but as those caves were nothing I really looked forward to... but maybe this is just my personal obsession.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Wings To Victory?! Oh damn I forget that! I played it on 1.6 version...I never update that again.

Actually I think many campaigns are judged unfairly. Most probably, a campaign with more oringianl portraits will overwhelm others, even if other campaigns have better scenerio design. But take that as an advantage, u can overpower those drake campaigns, also, by adding ur drakos portraits that is not seen by players before! Hehehe...that is hedious, though :twisted:

1. And about the cave things....In fact u can create another story line to replace the oringinal. Dwarves are more adapted to mountains and hills, so these dwarvish bandits can also escape from high plateus! Ur drakos can chase after them on high mountains with some flatland roads for ur human to pass through, which is obviously better than chase them in swampy-dingy-dark caves.

2. I suppose u haven't make any compliments about those merman scenerios. They are too many I suppose...and what's more, drako's "green realitives" are playing too small roles in this campaign. U can add a whole saurian conscription line to the oringinal, and let some loyal saurian heros to join ur epic journy!

3. The last thing is about the story. Do u agree to add more other race's hostorical records and narrative compliments to parise drakes' contribution for the peace between orcs and humans? I think that is necessary, for in the wesnothian history this is always few words about drakes. They are actually very intellectual and high creatures, but few people believe that. They need u to make their name big! ^_^
hgghy

Post by hgghy »

in scenario 2 the lich is very hard to kill as he has drain & powerful ranged attacks.

who am i supposed to give the spear to? a thrasher? don't have any!

how am i supposed to get my leader to the thunderthrow in 6 turns????? that is 3 turns to get there & 3 to kill 10 enemy's? i got lucky and killed them in time & blew up thunderthrow, but then got killed by a ulfserker.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, all.:)
hgghy wrote:in scenario 2 the lich is very hard to kill as he has drain & powerful ranged attacks.
But you had some zombie drakes to attack him, right?
At night times, I use them with Wyngilla’s leadership, and in day times, I just use regular drakes. In the case, defeating the Lich is not difficult.:)
hgghy wrote:who am i supposed to give the spear to? a thrasher? don't have any!
This is the list of units who can take the Mamba Spear:

Code: Select all

Drake Enforcer,Drake Thrasher,Dwarvish Stalwart,Dwarvish Sentinel,Javelineer
Yes, an Enforcer or a Thrasher is the best unit to take it because all humans and dwarves will leave the party after scenario Thunderthrow.
hgghy wrote:how am i supposed to get my leader to the thunderthrow in 6 turns????? that is 3 turns to get there & 3 to kill 10 enemy's? i got lucky and killed them in time & blew up thunderthrow, but then got killed by a ulfserker.
Yes, this part is a bit tricky.:)
What I do is that:
- spend 2 turns to recall, including some of the best units
- spread them into two groups. The group-1, including some dwarves, goes to the bridge at northeast, and group-2, mostly flyable units, covers Wyngilla.
I can usually blow up the thunderthrow in 5th to 6th turns without any losses in this way. But maybe, better to have another turn? If so, I can add it.:)
SkyOne wrote:
taptap wrote: I second that. I gave up the campaign on the second cave scenario. As far as I understand the cave scenarios were not even originally made for this campaign. It really is - together with saurians on ice - a design flaw, but for mysterious reasons most campaign designers seem to love it.
Okay, I will think about another path so that players don’t have to go to scenario Bandit’s Connection for you and players like you when I have time. Avoiding scenario Hidden Cave is impossible due to follow this story (stories are the most important part of the campaigns on mine). Actually, the scenario Bandit’s Connection is just another part of the scenario Hidden Cave (the same cave), so skipping it is not a problem for playing, just a little less gold.
This has been done on the recent version 0.9.5 that has been server since Aug. 7th. However, it possibly made the scenario(s) much easier, so I will appreciate if someone tells me how it is... hopefully...

Plans to change on the next version:
- replacing the turtle like monster, Mavloss, to another unit that I recently updated on my naga campaign
- installing a portrait for another turtle like one
- fixing a minor code-mistake on Mermaid Commander scenario (this doesn't affect to play anyway)

Thanks
-------------------------------

the latest version of this campaign: - 1.1.6, updated on Apr, 12th 2016
required BfW: (1.11.15 -1.11.6, and) 1.11.18 +
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Broken_Dragon

Post by Broken_Dragon »

I've been playing BfW on and off for years, always wondering why there are no drake campaigns in the main game. So, I week ago, I decided on a whim to download the game again and search for some custom-made drake campaigns.

Brave Wings was the first one I found.
I finished it just two days ago.
I liked it very much, especially the story.
In fact, I liked it so much I decided to register here to tell you that, thus abandoning my lurker status. Thank you, SkyOne, for making this campaign. It gave me a happy time for a week.

And actually, because of this, I have a question. It will be at the bottom of this post*. But first things first, let me reply to your feedback questions.

The Answers

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?

2. What version of Brave Wings (or the scenario) did you play?

3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign? (easy/normal/hard)
Normal

4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)
Difficult to estimate. I made some modifications to my game, and with them it was about 3, I guess. Without them I would say, an 8-9, maybe even higher.
Spoiler:
5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)
9. No problem at all with the objectives, the hint texts were very helpful for planning on a campaign-level. One thing, though: The scenarios that begin with objective "Survive" are a little unclear (I mean, survive how?), and then a little "unfair" in terms of wasted turns when the "true" objective is revealed later. (Excluding Air Battle, where there is no follow-up objective)

6. What part of the campaign should be developed the most when you played? (dialogues, unit images, or etc..)
The campaign was nicely developed in terms of portraits for the main characters. Wyngilla could use an...
Spoiler:
...but other than that, it's all super! The text can use a little polish here and there (mostly typos), and the story itself is a bit simple, but that's part of the charm. :)

7. How do you like the scenario or this campaign? (1-10)
10. It is the reason I'm writing this post. :mrgreen:

8. Do you have any additional comments?
Kudos again for your work!

9. What custom unit did you like the most in the campaign? (only by reviewing the whole campaign)
B <--------- I liked the progression of Wyngilla's "unit", especially the flavor text, though I think the stats themselves were a bit weaker, and could use a buff.
C <--------- Kasii is great, and I wonder why there aren't more drake magicians in the world of Wesnoth. :)

The rest I either didn't use them, or were not around long enough for me to get a solid impression on them

10. How much GOLD did you have when you started the last scenario, Legend of a Dragon? (the default is: EASY 320, NORMAL 280, HARD 260)
Difficult to say, since I edited my save to make most of my units loyal late in the campaign, but it'd say I would've arrived somewhere in high B, possibly low C.

*And now, the question I have:

SkyOne, do you give me your permission to make an unofficial, fan-made sequel to this campaign?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?
1.13.10+dev, having copied it from the 1.12 add-ons

2. What version of Brave Wings (or the scenario) did you play?

3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign? (easy/normal/hard)
normal

4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)
Generally 5, except for the scenarios with ulfs in caves. I ended up just reloading a previous turn in both cave scenarios because of the ulfs.

5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

6. What part of the campaign should be developed the most when you played? (dialogues, unit images, or etc..)
I had two comments, but then realised how they're related :oops: .
a) The second dwarf's recruits in the first cave scenario and all the dwarves in the second were painful.
b) The sword-drakes didn't seem that useful, so I only advanced two drakes to that line.

7. How do you like the scenario or this campaign? (1-10)
8, it's a good storyline. Something that impressed me was the balancing when the storyline removed existing units (BW_LEVELED_UP_CREDIT), and the early warning a couple of scenarios before units left for storyline reasons.

8. Do you have any additional comments?
Wyngilla's portrait gets resized badly when displayed in the game - the .png is good, but in game it becomes blurry.

------optional questions------

10. How much GOLD did you have when you started the last scenario, Legend of a Dragon? (the default is: EASY 320, NORMAL 280, HARD 260)
D. 657
WLFobe

Post by WLFobe »

So I found this campaign for Drakes and thought it would be interesting.

The Wose in the first two scenarios did not regenerate. I was not expecting this and had to go back and replay. I also looked at the unit description from the right click menu. It still says regenerate and no healing.

In scenario 2 (Unexpected Visitor) all the reinforcements I get are resilient. Is this intended?

Hidden Cave - When I get to this, I find an armory full of weapons I can't use. Because I didn't make the right promotions two scenarios earlier. And I didn't take any Clashers across the swamps in the earlier scenarios.