A Rough Life

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jacques_Fol

Re: A Rough Life

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Glad you got that far already, xbriannova, although you may be happy to hear - I hope - that this is not the final scenario, and there is some more fun to be had.

As for this scenario, the fix I used in the latest revision was to simply remove the turn limit. The scenario could be beaten in several fewer turns than the limit, but it just seemed to punish the players too much for taking their time. If there is no time limit, there's no need to split the scenario into several chunks.

That said, if you decide to replay the scenario, some additional help - or challenge - may also be found in this post. Hope you prevail!
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Nah its okay, additional help is not needed. I know everything about beating that one scenario now :). Thanks for the offer. I'm glad to know its not over yet because it's quite an adventure.

You know, one thing I'm worried about your fix is that players could just spend keep ending turn on that scenario and accumulate gold. Is that something we should worry about? I'm not quite clear how the gold carryover device works in case there's no turn limit...
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Yes, the player might end up rich after this scenario. I'm not particularly concerned with that, as Jacques acquiring wealth sort of works in terms of the story, although it has been mentioned as a possible glitch before so I may look into just taking all gold away from him at the end and giving him the preset amount for the following scenario(s).
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

You could always set up a second gold carryover device. On top of the one that takes away 20%-60% from the top you could could make one that would reduce the gold to be carried over in proportion to the number of turns he spent in the caves. That'd work.
Current Projects:

Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

An interesting idea. Of course, one would have to decide on the actual formula to be applied, and then code it in the scenario WML. Would something like this be easy to code?
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

I'm not sure about you, but it'd be hard for me as, of all things, I'm lousy in the use of variables. I can imagine the device to be something like this:

- First, you have to turn the number of gold into a variable. You could use variable codes or maybe you could even store side.

- Then, try to make a code that manipulates that variable. You could make an event or something that would minus away a lump sum or you could somehow make one that minuses away an amount proportionate to the amount of gold amassed.

-Then, put an event in the next scenario that unloads the amount of gold into the player's treasury.
Current Projects:

Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Yes, I suppose it will be something using [store_gold] and determining the turn number (which can presumably be retrieved), and I guess it could be done akin to the way the carryover percentage is calculated. It will, however, pose a challenge to Sunday-coder like me, so I may ask for help if/once I get to it. Thanks anyway!
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Actually hehe... I am by no means a genious in this. Far from that. I can't even get 3 lines of codes involving variables right, much less this... I'm afraid you're on your own in this... I'm so sorry... :(
Current Projects:

Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Quite good campaign, i liked it, expecially the "book of prophecies", the idea of "changing destiny". The map i like most was the one you ought to defend the fortress against undead hordes, hard though(shadows and nightnaughts backstabbed some of my leveled units[and obiously slayed them]) but funny one in which i got to planify where to use luxor, the princess and paula(the saurian became a healer so was way too important) and other small details.

On the scenario, more hard labour, finding the tree was pure luck, maybe some dialog telling you: Look that oasis, we may go there to heal our bruises and quench our thist. Actually i went over the rocks and nothing happened until i found the wose.(supposedly, that's the intention)

After killing the badass, then, from the scenario a flip of destiny, maps look like if they were an epilogue or someting like that, if you choose to return home only staying on a village and letting the peasants suicide against you is the way to win. And the others(choosing to stay), are are first kill a few monsters, easy, and then, the last send a few guys to suicide, or with darwish defenders + dawish lord and some support/healing resist and go to kill.

But after all the plot is quite good, and deep so is not kin of you go and kill the evil guys and after that everybody is happy, is more life like, hard decissions have to be make and sometimes, both damge you and your morale.

So, CONGRATULATIONS
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Thank you for the feedback, Darkmage!

I will consider adding some clearer hint as to the secret of the oasis area, you are right that it could be slightly frustrating for an unsuspecting player. Perhaps, two hints may be included. One, to point out that that general oasis area looks a little out of place in the desert, and then a second one if a player lands on one of the oases, hinting at them that they might wish to go to the centre.

As for the returning home scenario, you may be right about the way to fight them, although that still kind of shows the change of circumstance I wanted to portray - in the first scenario, a couple of peasants could already spell ruin for Jacques, whereas now he can take on an entire village by himself. It also, of course, serves the story.

And I'm very glad you liked the plot and the story in general - thanks!
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

I will consider adding some clearer hint as to the secret of the oasis area, you are right that it could be slightly frustrating for an unsuspecting player. Perhaps, two hints may be included. One, to point out that that general oasis area looks a little out of place in the desert, and then a second one if a player lands on one of the oases, hinting at them that they might wish to go to the centre.
Maybe change the sand tile for a grass tile, then somebody says that's strange on that sea of sand to see water and grass.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Darkmage wrote:Maybe change the sand tile for a grass tile, then somebody says that's strange on that sea of sand to see water and grass.
Yes, that might work, depending on how the transition between the tiles works out - will have to try it out. Thanks!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I had a different problem with the 5th scenario...
Spoiler:
In the 6th scenario I tried to recruit from the throne and it crashed Wesnoth.

I agree that an advancement choice would be nice. You don't even have to make a new unit_type, just give the option of continuing as the rogue line.

The campaign was a lot of fun overall, so good work. I also liked the dream sequences.

The dialogue was a little funny in places. Probably the worst was when you defeat the goblin leader on the first scenario it says something about a head hanging down and it is hard to understand what it means. You can post in the Writer's Forum for help on that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Thank you very much for your feedback, Sapient! I'm very glad you liked it enough to play it though, and flattered that you decided to try it in the first place.
Sapient wrote:I had a different problem with the 5th scenario...
Spoiler:
Noted, that darn hex may indeed be too unassuming for the player to find. I'll probably use suggestion 1) or 2), or perhaps even a combination of the two.
Sapient wrote:In the 6th scenario I tried to recruit from the throne and it crashed Wesnoth.
Alert! Players trying innovative things that the designer hadn't thought of! That must be the bane of every inexperienced designer; but also very helpful when such bugs are pointed out. I'll look into the code and (hopefully) have it fixed with the next release.
Sapient wrote:I agree that an advancement choice would be nice. You don't even have to make a new unit_type, just give the option of continuing as the rogue line.
Hm, the power of feedback is being shown here. I may succumb to pressure - but that may end up being a bit of a coding and art hassle once the new portraits are all completed and interwoven with the story, as stated in the spoiler parts of this post. Having it preset makes my life easier, but I'll think about adjusting the story (and portrait art) if the player chooses to stick with the thief line.
Sapient wrote:The campaign was a lot of fun overall, so good work. I also liked the dream sequences.
Thank you very much - you made a UMC developer's day!
Sapient wrote:The dialogue was a little funny in places. Probably the worst was when you defeat the goblin leader on the first scenario it says something about a head hanging down and it is hard to understand what it means. You can post in the Writer's Forum for help on that.
The dialogue and the text in general requires another run through. I admit that I now cringe at the sight of a few blunders myself, and there are a few further parts that should be tidied up. Lostnumber was kind enough to go through the first half of the campaign and we had some useful discussions, as seen in the main campaign thread starting here. If you are a word-smith, you may be interested in the discussion. Otherwise, suffice it to say that I will do another heavy edit to the text before the "complete" version 1.2 is released. That version will presumably also include all the new/remaining art, various small pieces of code fixing, perhaps some touching up of the dragon and maybe a little flourish to the story.
Spoiler:
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

I like the idea of other characters have some dialog, but since there's a "high" probability of loosing one of them at any moment, for a first scratch dialoge in which other "not-so-important" guys' names do not appear, then, maybe you can add a filter if sombody dies, but to start with it could look like a bit cold dialog(not using names, and sometimes loosing the point but is worth trying.)

If you need some help with dialog i may be helpful, surely there are better ones at it, but i guess is can somehow help, just tell it!!