Crossroads, it's very hard...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oki

Crossroads, it's very hard...

Post by Oki »

Hi,

I'm playing the scenario Crossroads on medium level. I couldn't win this game. I have all advanced units, at least on level 2.

There's any suggestion, tip, hint, strategy?

This scenario it's very difficult, i can't resist attacks of orcs. Also, the scenario Bay of pearls are difficult too. I've tried to kill both lords, but everytime i go to the lord on the ocean the turns end.

hummm, sorry for my "Syntax Errors" on PortuEnglish :-)

Celso Goya
Lord Apolon

Post by Lord Apolon »

For Crossroads, be sure you stick to the roads. Not only can you go much faster, you don't have to fight nearly as many orcs. I went for the commander in the northeast first with my mages, but I left some troops behind to defend the actual crossroads from the other group of orcs.
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

My strategy was just the opposite :) . Be sure that your elven units are in forest. They can defend much better in the forest and retreat easily if needed. Orcs are strong, but not very fast in the forest. This way you won't finish as early as with Lord Apolon's strategy, but you can gain lots of XP.
Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

Same recommendation from me. Stay in or close to the forest. Move a small powerful team (maybe 4-5 units including Kalenz) straight through the forest to finish off the north-east commander early. Meanwhile move other units to the village near the middle to defend against the attacking enemy.

You could also attach your most recent save game, so someone can inspect your units and suggest a specific strategy. Note that with Wesnoth 0.6.1, "medium" difficulty is easier than "easy" difficulty for many scenarios.
Oki

Good tips

Post by Oki »

Feldegast,

I'll try to use your tips and post the result later :-)

thanks,
Celso "Oki" Goya
lynx

Post by lynx »

I immediately sent some outriders to the NE and waited for some different elven troops to arrive. I set camp there, so that enemy was cut-off and I only waited to get strong enough and then destroyed him.

In the meanwhile, I sent my cavalry NW, up the road and made a phalanx after the crossing. Again, I waited there for my other troops to arrive and then held the lines until the NE division was free and made a fullscale offensive to chown the place.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I leveled alot of my warriors in the previous scenario wich left me with two level 3 warriors, a healer and some archers. my tactic resolved mostly around making a strong barrier of warriors that would kill most orcs before they could do damage, and put the more damaged warriors with the healer in the inner circle and slowly moving in on the west side first without letting my units wander too far off from eachother so they wouldn't be ganged up by orcs. I found myself pretty happy with this tactic, cause I killed three swarms of orcs from the forests and everything else in my path without losing a single warrior thanks to my healer
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I've found that going through the forest takes about as much time as taking the road up and around, since many units go slowly through that terrain. Once you know where the bad hexes are, it's a lot safer too. (BTW, this would be a good place for some randomness in the game.)

So now I send 1 or 2 elven units up directly through forest and put the rest around on the road. Only a few actually have to go and attack the enemy castle in the NE. The rest wait around killing (hopefully) the NW enemy. A couple of scouts to the southwest gains me some villages and draws off some enemy units at the same time.

Medium difficulty.
The Eponymous Archon
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

You are right about the randomness .. IIRC it will be easy to add it ... there is already support for randomnumber in WML so just selecteing a some +/- 1 and adding them to the x, y coordinates of each encounter will be nice.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

So long as that doesn't mean you get attacked on the road...
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Sangel wrote:So long as that doesn't mean you get attacked on the road...
Aren't there places on the road where you get attacked already? Up by the end of the NW stretch?
The Eponymous Archon
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Right at the very top, after you've left the forest, I seem to recall being ambushed once. But that was an exception. I'd prefer it if the roads inside the forest were safe.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the only unsafe places are at the very border of the forest

a couple of ambushes inside the forest itself would prevent the natural elven tendecy to rush through the forest rather than taking the road
lala

Post by lala »

There IS a ambush on the road a few hexes north of the crossroads
Slesh

Post by Slesh »

recruit your force and send them all directly north through the woods except for an outrider to take a few villages and distract some enemy troops. If you stay deep in the woods there are fewer ambushes. When flagging towns, make sure you don't end up stopping 1 or two hexes away from it before it's flagged. I seem to get ambushed less this way. after you capture the northeast town, go through the northern most part of the woods to avoid more ambushes, and when you exit the woods make sure not to stop on any of the outside forest spaces because there are a lot of ambushes there.