How to win "The Eastern Invasion" campaign?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MasterCookieShadow

How to win "The Eastern Invasion" campaign?

Post by MasterCookieShadow »

I have to admit that, being inexperienced, I only played short starter campaigns, looking to learn a thing or two. So I made the most terrible choice so far: playing "The Eastern Invasion"

At first, it seemed like a simple story to learn how to face the undead with just soldiers and mages... But all I've done so far is run away from groups and groups of necromancers! I may have been spoiled, perhaps, receiving a lot of support from other armies in the other stories, but in this particular case I have had almost no fair fight.

I'm currently stuck at a level where an orc leader and a necromancer teamed up to defeat me, and the only experienced soldiers I have are shock trooper and superior. Against the undead they are great, but the orcs are right on the side and easily punish them for moving! What do I do?
"if I had a nickel for every time I spawn a dragon in the final boss, I'd have two nickels - which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice."

"Plz dont do it"
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: How to win "The Eastern Invasion" campaign?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

easily punish them for moving! What do I do?
Given your description of your playthrough. It may be worth while to replay some of the previous scenarios and get a wider variety of veterans available such as Swordsman, Red Mages and Dragoons. Shock Troopers are nice to have, but are not that optimized for flat terrain skirmishes.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
wesnothpoet

Post by wesnothpoet »

Shock troopers are good at soaking up damage, but they are not very effective at dealing damage on their own. I would recommend mages, both white and red in some combination. Level 1 mages are fragile and difficult to level up, but both level 2 versions are excellent in this campaign, so you should focus on leveling up mages during the first few scenarios.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Showing my bias a bit, but there's almost no fair fights in that campaign. Instead of going back a few scenarios, I'd suggest having a look at the poll results in https://r.wesnoth.org/t51916
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Oddly enough I like shock troopers. I only hate their movement ... I'd wish they would be faster on high levels.

Mages are great; only a bit squishy so I tend to surround my white mages with fodder units that then get healed up.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

off-topic
There was a vote/poll on mainline campaign quality? I have been away far too long it seems. Anyways, How'd showing poll results help in conducting a tactic?

I can see why LoW, DM, EI and NR are undergoing rework plans from the looks of this. EI ranked second worst XD.
I recommend looking at the walkthrough. Whenever I am stuck I just read the walkthrough to get a gist of what tactic I need to follow.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium