Is there a faction with only outlaws? If so, what is it counters and can it be good?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MasterCookieShadow

Is there a faction with only outlaws? If so, what is it counters and can it be good?

Post by MasterCookieShadow »

I was on my ubuntu computer after a long time using windows and decided to go back to my origins and download Battle for Wesnoth again. For the first time I am finishing a campaign in the game without cheating, the one where the character was a villager and became a "bandit" because of the queen. After scenario 6, I was wondering if there is a faction I can play with these troops... Of course, they are pretty bad, if I hadn't had so much support from the protagonist's allies (a village chief, a lord, a mage) would probably have lost in the third or fourth scenario. What do you think? Is there a faction from which these troops can be recruited?
"if I had a nickel for every time I spawn a dragon in the final boss, I'd have two nickels - which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice."

"Plz dont do it"
HenryY2020

Re: Is there a faction with only outlaws? If so, what is it counters and can it be good?

Post by HenryY2020 »

If I remember correctly, Thugs are unavailable in multiplayer but Footpads, Poachers, and Thieves are available in the Knalgans faction.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Is there a faction with only outlaws? If so, what is it counters and can it be good?

Post by Atreides »

I think I may have seen some add-on with something like that. I don't know which though.
patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

As HenryY2020 said correctly, the default era multiplayer faction "Knalgan Alliance" has most of the outlaw units.

Playing without dwarves might seem unusual at first, since the outlaws are rather squishy, however, playing with only the humans in the knalgan alliance in MP is a valid strategy. It's called "HODOR" afaik. I'm pretty sure that this strategy is used sometimes in mid-level and maybe even high-level play, and it can win. The strenght of the outlaw-only strategy is afaik that the outlaws are cheap and rather mobile compared to the dwarves, so you'll have many units everywhere on the field, in theory. That should allow you to out-maneuver your opponent.

As a summary: While there isn't an outlaw only faction in mainline MP, a mainline faction can be played with only outlaws, and yes, it can be good.