Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 on the Ladder of Wesnoth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

C4nt3r

Re: Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 on the Ladder of Wesnoth

Post by C4nt3r »

Cackfiend wrote: April 24th, 2021, 6:06 pm Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1uPTeu1H ... t=download

View in-browser Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uPTeu1 ... sp=sharing

I am excited to announce the release of my Wesnoth Strategy Guide! I first started working on this 8 or 9 years ago and have spent most of my free time these last 3.5 months finally finishing it. It is 93 pages and over 15,000 words! My hope is that it helps everyone become a better competitive player :)

The Ladder Discord is now open to all multiplayer players, not just Ladder players, so please feel free to join the community! https://discord.gg/8aV2xUKuK8

Feel free to discuss the guide here or on Discord.

If you are interested in competitive play please check out the Ladder! https://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/
Sweet, will take a look later,thanks for sharing. How much time a 1v1 match takes?
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

C4nt3r wrote: July 17th, 2021, 4:23 pm Sweet, will take a look later,thanks for sharing. How much time a 1v1 match takes?
I'd say on average a competitive match of wesnoth takes 1.5 hours. Some will take closer to an hour, others closer to two hours. If time is a concern you can play with a 5 minute timer and select only the smaller maps for your map pool.
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
helling3r

Post by helling3r »

Thank you for your Guide! Much apprechiated!
Great work, and especially the examples make it very useful and easily related to real situations i had.

One minor idea tough: Add pagination. Its easier to reference for when taking notes or when quoting, and also enhances navigation a bit.
NEW LoW Linux automated friends script: GitHub project site | Forums post
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

"I was convinced i dont have to hurry with reading the guide, as what could possible be in it that i dont know already? But now im playing with grid and accelerated speed, thanks to it. Also i finally understand how income works, so double thanks.

outstanding work overall"

- Krogen, Winner of Ladder Tournament #1

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Yes, and on Page 86, that's my fencer!
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
LetswaveaBook

Post by LetswaveaBook »

What I find missing from this manual is the topic of vision. Some units have more than others. Mostly those with good movement have good vision, but it is not clear how it exactly works for me.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

LetswaveaBook wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:24 am What I find missing from this manual is the topic of vision. Some units have more than others. Mostly those with good movement have good vision, but it is not clear how it exactly works for me.
It works exactly as movement. Every unit can see one tile beyond where it could move in a single turn from their current location, without being hampered by enemy units, as explained in the in-game Help→Gameplay→Shroud and Fog of War.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

LetswaveaBook wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:24 am What I find missing from this manual is the topic of vision. Some units have more than others. Mostly those with good movement have good vision, but it is not clear how it exactly works for me.
There is a whole chapter on Scouting

helling3r

Post by helling3r »

Hi, i really think it would be a good idea to put a link to this guide into the wiki at https://wiki.wesnoth.org/How_to_play...
NEW LoW Linux automated friends script: GitHub project site | Forums post