3D Printing Wesnoth figures?

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cackfiend

3D Printing Wesnoth figures?

Post by Cackfiend »

Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any 3d models that could be turned into a 3D printer blueprint?
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
ForestDragon

Re: 3D Printing Wesnoth figures?

Post by ForestDragon »

Cackfiend wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:58 am Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any 3d models that could be turned into a 3D printer blueprint?
The former? probably not. The latter? maybe (inferno8 used 3d models for his current elemental sprites, so you could theoretically ask him for the original models)
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

ForestDragon wrote: February 16th, 2021, 5:06 pm
Cackfiend wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:58 am Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any 3d models that could be turned into a 3D printer blueprint?
The former? probably not. The latter? maybe (inferno8 used 3d models for his current elemental sprites, so you could theoretically ask him for the original models)
hmm, any idea if 3d models of any of the default era units were ever made?
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Cackfiend wrote: February 16th, 2021, 9:20 pm hmm, any idea if 3d models of any of the default era units were ever made?
Anything made by the mainline artists to this date is most certainly pure pixel art, no 3D models involved.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

I doubt there are very many, if any, 3D models of mainline units.

If you look through the art threads, you will see people posting sketchy / unshaded WIP images and animations; it can be fun to follow them all the way through. There are also people who just post whatever their latest product is without showing a step-by-step version, but I've always assumed they mostly follow the same process as the documenters do. Some might make 3D models for reference, but if so, they haven't talked about it in a sufficiently memorable way in a location that I saw.

Here's the only person I can remember talking about a 3D model:
https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 99#p541499
In this case, the person made a 3D model and used a program to make frames close enough to Wesnoth-style that they mostly fit in. It's definitely UMC, not mainline Wesnoth, though.
Even if you aren't interested in UMC as a whole, I think the dragons are something everyone should see once. You should be able to find them on the 1.14 add-ons server. They look like this and are very thoroughly animated.
Copied from here: https://units.wesnoth.org/1.14/Library_ ... ragon.html which is a copy of the base-frame.

I haven't really tried making 3D models, but if you have any ability at all in that area, it might be more efficient for you to make models based on the unit sprites than to hope someone else has already made them.