Art for the Return of the Darks

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thvk

Re: Art for the Return of the Darks

Post by thvk »

Here is the Darks Summoner. For now its the final advancement og the Darker. He can create Magic Crystals(lvl 0) they are high concentrate magic.
Darks_Summoner_2.png
Darks_Summoner_2.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Hello!

Good Work here, but a few things bothered me, so I fixed them :)
Attachments:
I did:
-fix the shadows, they were bothering me. I made them semi-transpirent and green/redish fitting the coats (blue just wasn't right)
-redesign the legs, they are not as curved and not as chaotic colorwise
-made the colors lighter and brighter, so they are easier to see (I think you are using a display with very high saturation, because all your images have very low saturation?)
I think the units look cleaner now.

And I have one thing: you might wanna look for that you export the background as transpirent, I could only open your images with black background :|

Otherwise: feel free to use these variations of your art :mrgreen:

and of course: hope you like it ;) :D
Attachments
att4
att4
DarkLVL3red.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
att3
att3
DarkLVL2red.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
att2
att2
DarkLVL1.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
att1
att1
darks.png (9.62 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
eh, what comes here again?
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

s1m0n:
- I think the shadows are fine. They're a standard color and they show up fine on light-colored terrain. Maybe they wouldn't over chasm or something, but that happens to all unit shadows, so at least it would be consistent.
original in top-left, s1m0n's in bottom-right
original in top-left, s1m0n's in bottom-right
darks-comparison.png (14.78 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
- I agree that more contrast is a good thing, although I don't think you need to make the colors that saturated. That's a good point that thvk might have a very high-contrast monitor. I was assuming that thvk likes the unit-is-super-dark effect, and that thvk (like me) often chooses colors that are easy to tell apart when you zoom in but a little too similar when you zoom out.

- I don't agree with all of your detail modifications: yours has a fat, blobby crown and the way his cloak sticks out to the sides makes him look fat. Thvk's looks more elegant.

(I'm tired and not filtering my thoughts as well as usual, which is why all of those paragraphs are about what I think, rather than objective facts.)

Regarding backgrounds: when I try to copy one of thvk's images or your images from my web browser, it gets a black background, but when I right click and go to "save image as" then the transparent background works fine.

thvk:
Great job with the bling. It's easy to tell that he's someone important.

I notice that the gold edge on his cloak ends when it gets to his arm. If you made it curve over the arm, I think it might make it even more clear that this is a floppy cloak.

With that in mind, here are my own small tweaks. I extended the trim, changed some of the logically-shaded parts to a darker color, used the same color to anti-alias a couple of corner-y bits on the lit up side, changed the neckline a little bit, and added a lighter shade of yellow for the parts I thought would be lit up the most.

I like my tweaks to his crown and the neckline of his cloak, but I'm not sure the extended edges look quite right. Ah, well. I'll post it, and you can look and decide for yourself whether they are useful.
Adds more edges on cloak, tweaks crown and top edge of cloak.
Adds more edges on cloak, tweaks crown and top edge of cloak.
Darks_Summoner_2-edit.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
thvk

Post by thvk »

Thanks for your reply s1m0n. But as Pilauli says are your versions of the darks to fat.

The edit of the Darks_Summoner of Pilauli is great i will use it.

So here is the current line for the darks magic:

Darks Magic(lvl 1)
Darks_Magic_2.png
Darks_Magic_2.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Darker(lvl 2)
Darker_2.png
Darker_2.png (5.93 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Darks Summoner(lvl 3)
Darks_Summoner_2-edit.png
Darks_Summoner_2-edit.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Campaigns Im working at:
- The Return of the Darks[ unfinished ]

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. : ) - Isaac Asimov
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

the crown isn't that good, yep.
and i didn't like the straight lines i the cloaks, but that looks fat, yep.

thanks, I just tried something yesterday evening while I try to get more into pixel art.

Otherwise, I am kind of happy with my changes, especially in the legs and the color, as said yesterday :)

It was just a suggestion anyways :mrgreen:

I really like the newest versions, except for the left leg: It looks like the knee is way too low, it should be about 2 pixels higher to match the human anatomy
Last edited by WhiteWolf on September 15th, 2020, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: doublepost merged
thvk

Post by thvk »

The changes of the legs are nice and i will try to apply them.

But do not forget they are no humans, they are DARKS another race. ;)

So now it seems like the darks battle mage line is kind of finished. Any suggestions how the shamans shall look like?
Last edited by thvk on September 16th, 2020, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campaigns Im working at:

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

To remain the spirit of the original works, I would say make them similar in shape, but give them not only a cloak but a whole robe and maybe not give them a staff but a "piece of magic" similar to the crystal of the other advancement line into or floating above (one of) their hands
thvk

Post by thvk »

good suggestion. i will try to make them like this.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

I drew a some dudes Darks in robes.

The first one is supposed to be leaning on his staff, the next one has a bunch of nice shiny buttons, the third one is standing straighter, and the fourth one has a teamcolor priest-drapey-thing.
darks-shaman-ideas.png
darks-shaman-ideas.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
All of them have little gold hairclips because they aren't wearing cloaks (so the gold cloak-fasteners don't fit), but I liked how there was a little touch of gold somewhere on the unit. Hmm. Does it look like an ear? It kind of does. :( Oh, well. If you want to use them, and if you think the gold looks like an ear, then you can change it.

As far as how I did the hair: I started with the hooded head, and then I erased the edges to make the "hood" narrower because hair doesn't stick out as much, I expanded the edges of the face (because it wasn't being covered by the hood), and I added a little bit of a lighter shade on the top-right area of the hair, because hair is shiny.

Looking at them, I see that I drew a sort of overcoat-looking robe and a sort of catholic-priest-looking robe, but I neglected to draw a cool drapey robe.
darks-shaman-bathrobe.png
darks-shaman-bathrobe.png (9.74 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Hmm... it looks more like a bathrobe than anything else, I think. :P

Well, I'm out of ideas now. Note that I don't think cloaks are a good idea for the shaman and his advancements, because cloaks make everything else harder to see. And leaving these guys without cloaks means that they look a little bit smaller and skinnier than the others, which makes sense if they don't need to bash things over the head as often.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: Units number 2, 4, and possibly 5 are supposed to be potential level 1s. Units 1 and 3 are, in my opinion, too plain; but if you wanted to draw completely different decorations on them, then it's easier to not need to erase the existing decorations. (This is because s1m0n talking about what the higher level ones could have made me realize that these might be interpreted as level 1s and level 2s.)

And yeah, for the first one, I was trying for a semi-dynamic stance, and then I decided it might not be appropriate for a spellcaster and drew one that was just standing there. :)
Last edited by Pilauli on September 17th, 2020, 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I like them! The higher level could as said before have something float above his hand, to make him look mightier, but that's just a suggestion and if they don't have such projectiles that wouldn't make much sense

Both have something to them, the left ones look kinda like they are suited for long walks (or is it just me?^^), more similar to the stronger mages, and the right ones look a little weaker, more similar to e.g. an elvish shaman
thvk

Post by thvk »

The units you made are looking nice. But they are lvl 1 units and the Darks Shaman is a lvl2 unit. But i will try to edit them.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

Oh, he's level 2? I assumed you had two separate lines! But I guess it's more like how a wolf rider can level up into a better wolf rider, or he can become a goblin pillager with a torch and a net.
thvk

Post by thvk »

Here is the edit of the Darks Shaman.
darks_shaman_edit.png
darks_shaman_edit.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
I gave him a new color to divide the magics and the shamans line. Do you think it is okay for a level 2 unit?

Sorry for the long break.
thvk

Post by thvk »

elder_dark_edit.png
elder_dark_edit.png (10.64 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
Elder Dark Edit.
Campaigns Im working at:

thvk