The Quixotic Kings art, Penguins and more!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Quixotic_King

Re: The Quixotic Kings art, Penguins and more!

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

Pewskeepski wrote: December 4th, 2020, 9:05 am Just wanted to pop in and say I LOVE the idea of a medieval penguin faction. And if you decide to release it as a faction, I may just use it myself for something :D
As for the balance of the penguins, i had envisioned them as quite squishy on land, and they don't move particularly fast on water, but they do have high defense on water.
Shouldn't penguins be fast in water as well, though? I'm not thinking in terms of unit balance, just realism in terms of the species. Penguins can generally swim up to 4 miles per hour and the Gentoo species specifically can swim up to 20! Now granted, these waddling birds are wearing heavy armor and, yes, I do realize that I'm arguing for realism for penguins who are fighting with swords. But still, I'd be interested in hear your thoughts :lol:
Thanks! The penguins were my first delve into spritemaking, and also my first attempt at coding! They will be the Arctic League, as the faction will include other arctic creatures. They are designed to be a standalone faction for a goofy campaign. It is currently on the backburner while I work on my main project, the Era of Empires. Once I'm finished with my era or just want to take a break I will resume it's creation, I'll probably update the sprites when I get there, and I may make other factions to come with it, who knows, the Era of Nonsense? doesn't sound like a bad idea to me!

As for the penguin balance you are probably right, I'm just thinking of how I would balance the Move points. Penguins are a strange species to balance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
The_Quixotic_King

Art 7# More EoE (Era of Empires) unit families.
Here I'll be posting some sprites I haven't shared on the Era progress and feedback forum, and some I have, just an eclectic mix.

First off here are all of the Pyrrho-Weinburgish cavalry.
PW Cav.png
PW Cav.png (16.53 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Top left is the Pyrrhian Light Cavalryman, who can level up into three different units. Either the Hussar to his right, (fast with a balance between charge and non-charge attacks), the Lancer underneath him (Focus on charge attack) and finally the dragoon in the blue uniform (who will gain a ranged attack). I hope it's a fun unit line to mess around with because of all of the variety. And then alone on the right is the lvl 1 Cuirassier. Heavy cav with a beefy melee strike and a hefty revolver attack aswell.

Here is the lvl-0/lvl1leadership combo units. The Sergeant and Landwehr
Landwehr - Copy.png
Landwehr - Copy.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
The Sergeant has a Spontoon and a dinky little handgun. The Landwehr is the lvl-0 equivalent of the Weinburgish Infantryman, so a rifle butt melee (5-2 impact) and a ranged musket shot a (9-1 pierce)

Next up here are some Zwergenland infantry, they all have the same face as they are all apart of the same unit tree.
Zwergenland_Trooper - Copy.png
Zwergenland_Trooper - Copy.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
on the left is the lvl-0 Landsturm, equipped with a pike, he'll be able to level up into three different units, the Trooper, the Artilleryguard and the Freikorp lineman. I have not drawn the Freikorp, but he'll be a funky unit. in the center is the staple Zwergenland unit and only one of these three who'll be recruitable. And then the Artilleryguard, who will fight better in defense while next to mechanical units.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

These are awesome, keep up the good work! :)

EDIT: Just released I never responded to something in your last post:
Quixotic wrote:As for the penguin balance you are probably right, I'm just thinking of how I would balance the Move points. Penguins are a strange species to balance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It might be fun to have a faction that moves fast on snow, ice, shallow water and deep water, but slow in grass, forest and hills (could lead to some bizarre strategies :D ). It 'd be quite unique from other factions, although I'm not very well-versed in the add-ons that have graced Wesnoth over the years so, who knows, maybe there is one like that already? Whatever, I still love the idea :lol:
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
The_Quixotic_King

Art #8 miscellaneous

I haven't posted in quite some time but I am still alive! I have been making sprites very slowly and not all that consistently but I have pushed some more out. Some of these a pretty old by this point but I had not posted them here.
Homunculus.png
Homunculus.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 530 times
From a coloring perspective probably one of my best sprites so far, most of my sprites have unnecessarily large color palettes but I was able to minimize this one quite a bit.
Zwergenland_Flamethrower.png
Zwergenland_Flamethrower.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 530 times
lvl 1 and 2 Dwarvish flamethrowers

The lvl 2 Pyrrho-Weinburgish Cuirassier
Cuirassier2.png
Cuirassier2.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 530 times
And so that I can show all of them, a preview of a few more Last Horde sprites
Picture_thing.png
Picture_thing.png (24.25 KiB) Viewed 530 times