Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Matalahy

Lord of the Rings Units

Post by Matalahy »

Hey there,
Over the last months I've created some units LotR-inspired. Most of them have motion pictures as well.
I'll continue to work on this units. My plan is to create (step-by-step of course) the following factions:
Eriador (wip)
Gondor (almost finished)
Rohan
Dwarfes (wip)
Elves
----
Mordor (wip)
Isengard (almost finished)
Gundabad (wip)
Rhun (wip)
Harad (wip)

I'd be glad to get some feedback outta the community. Have a nice eve :)
bfw hintergrund.png
Hallo Leute,
In den letzten Monaten habe ich einige HdR-inspirierte Einheiten erstellt. Die meisten sind im Spiel nicht statisch, sondern mit kompletten Bewegungsabläufen.
Ich werde weiter daran arbeiten und hier die Fortschritte posten. Mein Plan ist, (nach und nach versteht sich) die folgenden Fraktionen zu erstellen:
Eriador (in Arbeit)
Gondor (fast fertig)
Rohan
Zwerge (in Arbeit)
Elben
----
Mordor (in Arbeit)
Isengart (fast fertig)
Gundabad (in Arbeit)
Rhun (in Arbeit)
Harad (in Arbeit)

Über Feedback von euch würde ich mich sehr freuen. Euch einen schönen Abend :)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Lord of the Rings Units

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Hi,
just a reminder that Lord of the Rings is copyrighted material; as such, content derived from it isn't allowed on our add-ons server (we can accept only public domain, GPL or CC stuff). If you want to distribute a LotR add-on, you'll have to do that in other ways.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Matalahy

Post by Matalahy »

Sure thing but I don‘t wanna make a hole addon, just the skins :)
But thx anyway for reminding.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

There is a UMC along these lines. You might want to co-ordinate with them. (I don't remember the name they're using and could not find the thread.) They went through this issue and scrubbed their work to avoid problems. I don't know but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't like a little help.

You'll want to be sure your work does not use the same names due to possible trademark issues. That includes your file names. Book titles, place and character names and even abbreviations can all be problematic.

You can free-hand draw images from your own imagination, but copying, even hand-drawn copies, from such things as package or book art, movies, and stills from movies, can raise copyright issues. This includes using actor's faces (due trademark issues). In some cases even simply using a specific color or color schemes can raise trademark issues (but I'd be surprised if that happened here).
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
BuLily

Post by BuLily »

Wow, that's really cool. I wish I could act out fantasies like you do. Really, I have no application or skill, just a picture in my head. One has to be careful about copyright, for sure. But I think at least create for yourself if you have the ability, plus you know the material and what's missing in it. I would look at your incarnation of Celeborn, purely for the sake of interest. And maybe someday I'll decide to create my favorite character, inspired by his story from https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki/Celeborn .