Edwylm's sprite alterations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ResExsention

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations

Post by ResExsention »

Edwylm wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:45 pm "This is called the talent for design!" Thanks this means a lot. :oops: And I hope that you have fun playing with these units. :D
It is called talent for design, though I probably may not end up using these units in UMC anytime soon. Sorry :cry: .

As for your briar wose, it's excellent, though the proportions look kind of awkward. It's no taller than a chaparral wose so it looks like it never advanced. Increase the height a bit. It's nice, though. I don't know how you produce sprites so fast. Do you have the attack and defense animations and maybe the idle animations for these sprites?
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

I plan on using those Dwarven units very soon in my campaign!
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Tribes55, I can see why. You do have a Dwarven campaign, after all.

Now that you've brought it up, I noticed that Edwylm's Dwarf chariots and stuff look great, if not for the scaling. I'm saying, maybe five or ten percent bigger than what he's already made. If you look at the Era of Magic Dwarven tank, you can see how the guy driving the tank isn't at all shrunken while he's in the tank. Could really improve the visual state of the Dwarven chariot. Mounting a thunderstick (gunz) on the chariot too may be a good idea, as Dwarves love their guns. It's a cool and unique idea though. I had never ever thought of that never ever before. Shadows are really good, as well as the color value and palette. Nice! :D

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

That is alright ResExsention they will be here in the future if you ever need them.

"I don't know how you produce sprites so fast."
Well I make a image with a lot of sprites within it so I have reference and to have them to create franken-sprites (like having all the wose=like sprites on one image). This way I don't have to keep opening up a bunch of images and switching tabs.

"Do you have the attack and defense animations and maybe the idle animations for these sprites?"
Sadly I do not have the time right now to create animations but I am thinking on some ideas for animations on the briar and .chaparral wose. I should have time next week to start on them. However I am open on suggestions for animations.

As with the increase in size of the chariot I will play with the idea. I presume you are talking about the chariot part and not the rams and rider?

I look forward on seeing the chariots in your campaign tribes55 and how you incorporated them. ;)
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Interesting. A very effective way to create sprites. Hadn't thought of that. Cool! I could give some ideas for ideas on the animations:

- The Dwarven Chariot is very good. For any charging attacks just use the offset feature like

Code: Select all

[frame]
	image="units/image/image.png:frame-offset-by-pixels"
[/frame]
and for any other animations you could probably just copy the mainline animations. I don't want to complicate your work.

- For the woses' fist/crush attack, making them similar to that of the mainline woses would probably be a good idea, as it keeps your animations fairly consistent with that of the mainline. For the roots, an attack animation like that of the Tentacle of the Deep would be nice. One frame and an offset would probably look nice.

And no, I mean the whole chariot sprite could be sized up a tiny bit. Including the rams (or are they oxen?)

But really, you're such a professional as this!

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I had some time to do some edits and test some suggestions this afternoon.
briar_wose.png
briar_wose.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 8481 times
And no, I mean the whole chariot sprite could be sized up a tiny bit. Including the rams (or are they oxen?)
They are rams (male sheep).
I sized the sprites up 5% and 10%. I found out that the chariot has a better outlook with it being scaled up. The proportions to the dwarf compared to other dwarves make them too large. Increasing the ram by 10% makes it about the size of a horse, 5% they look ok. But I'll try a bit more experimenting.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Your Briar woses look great, and would probably fit nicely on top of most terrains. I'd like to see your dwarven chariots, too. I've seen them in previous posts but I like seeing the latest.

And again, "but really, you're such a professional at this!"

Edwylm

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations/wose

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:54 pm I'd like to see your dwarven chariots, too. I've seen them in previous posts but I like seeing the latest.

And again, "but really, you're such a professional at this!"
I'm working on the 5% and 10% increase. Mainly having to clear the blurriness on the images when scaled. I hate the blur when rotating and scaling is involved. Hard to find all the little colored transparent pixels.

Thanks for the complement :) but most of the sprites I have done are franken-sprites or making small alterations to pre-made content. Most praise should go to them. Without their content I wouldn't be able to make these Sprites.

On another note here is another Wose. Using Phyreprooph's strangler-wose and tangle-wose as the base image, along with Bitron's treefolk arms/hands. This wose is based on the mangrove trees.
mangrove_wose.png
mangrove_wose.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 8322 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Oh. Wow.

Okay. Very humble of you to not take full credit for your art. I'll give you some praise, still, since it's YOU whose doing the editing, but to those who made the original sprites: They look beautiful.

So, Edwylm, those mangrove woses are great and nothing needs to be done with them. Maybe just an optional recolor to something slightly darker, maybe? To keep it consistent with the other woses? And IMVHO (In My Very Humble Opinion), they shouldn't be fighting woses; by their looks, maybe wire them up so that they do magic? The way you used the {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} magenta stuff makes it look like that's a magical wose ;). Well done on that sort of effect! Though note that when you use those in-game the magenta stuff turn to whatever the team color is, so try adding some gold around it to make it look like it's glowing (if you're giving this magical attacks, of course).

But really, they're excellent. Now I'm reconsidering my previous standing of strictly all my original unit art for my campaigns and using your sprites, because they are really outstanding.

:D

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: August 18th, 2018, 6:36 pm So, Edwylm, those mangrove woses are great and nothing needs to be done with them. Maybe just an optional recolor to something slightly darker, maybe? To keep it consistent with the other woses? And IMVHO (In My Very Humble Opinion), they shouldn't be fighting woses; by their looks, maybe wire them up so that they do magic? The way you used the {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} magenta stuff makes it look like that's a magical wose ;). Well done on that sort of effect! Though note that when you use those in-game the magenta stuff turn to whatever the team color is, so try adding some gold around it to make it look like it's glowing (if you're giving this magical attacks, of course).
Here is a color change. I slightly darkened them. Hard to notice right away but its there.
mangrove_wose.png
mangrove_wose.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 8200 times
My idea was that it would use water as its main attack not sure if its going to be "magical" right away. The last one I think was giving it a large water based attack like a wave or a water sprout and giving the main range attack turn into magical.

Also here is the first comparison on the chariots. Note that I only scaled the chariot part as of yet. #1 is normal, #2 is 5% increase, and #3 is 10% increase.
chariot_scaled_only.png
chariot_scaled_only.png (10.34 KiB) Viewed 8200 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Hmmm...

I like the middle 5% scale change. The proportions look accurate, so congrats on that. Nice job on removing the blurs as well. Now for the chariot, all you need now is one attack frame and it will look professional. Maybe for the attack frame you can try making the ram's feet move and tilt the spear horizontally? But your colorization is quite good. I may actually use those sprites in one of my campaigns, if I have to. Cool!

As for you mangrove woses, they look perfect. That is a sprite well done. And I'm sure the attack and defense animations will be easy; maybe just an arm stuck out or something.

But honestly, I like your sprites. You can change up sprites so well so quickly. Forget quality of quantity: You can have both!

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I have had this idea for a bit but I couldn't get the shape and the vines to work out that well. The idea is a vine covered wose that would use the vines as a whip. The 1st level would be covered in vines but with less foliage and the 2nd the foliage would cover more of the wose and one of the hands would start turning into vines. This is suppose to be a off branch from the chaparral wose line.
vine_covered_wose.png
vine_covered_wose.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

The 2nd level for the vine covered wose I didn't add the foliage as to get opinions on the general design.
vine_covered_wose_lvl2.png
vine_covered_wose_lvl2.png (11.99 KiB) Viewed 7998 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Wow, really cool so far!

You have got the colorization right on the vin wose; it looks perfect. It's the scale that is catching my attention; did you intend to make them so tall? For naming. I was thinking after chaparral wose comes the vine wose and after that the...

But really nice so far! With the quantity of the units that you're making, it introduces a whole new leve, of diversity to Wesnoth. Liking every bit of this!

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: August 29th, 2018, 3:53 am It's the scale that is catching my attention; did you intend to make them so tall? For naming. I was thinking after chaparral wose comes the vine wose and after that the...
Well I kind of like them being a bit tall but the large one was a little to large for my liking. the idea was that the wose was becoming more vine like so they have the look of more thin/taller appearance compared to other wose.
This is a updated size comparison within the line.
vine_covered_wose_line.png
vine_covered_wose_line.png (14.44 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
I made a middle level just a idea in case I change my mind on having it split off the chaparral wose line.

Speaking of which I made a level under the chaparral wose line. Kinda keeps to the Wose theme.
overgrowth_wose.png
overgrowth_wose.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
overgrowth_wose2.png
overgrowth_wose2.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 7891 times