The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Gnat

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by The_Gnat »

I have given it a second try and it is a little more coherent now but still incomplete.

@doofus01 - In particular which areas were you suggesting needed better shading?
Attachments
nature-divine.png
nature-divine.png (19.19 KiB) Viewed 9071 times
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

It's just incredible how you're still actively leading this topic :shock: I have barely done any art this year
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

WTrawi wrote: May 12th, 2019, 3:23 pm It's just incredible how you're still actively leading this topic :shock: I have barely done any art this year
Thanks WTrawi! But actually I haven't drawn anything for the RoTL yet this year either until just now ^_^ I have been quite busy with the DF rework which is nearly done now!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The_Gnat wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:22 am I have given it a second try and it is a little more coherent now but still incomplete.

@doofus01 - In particular which areas were you suggesting needed better shading?
I think you are trying to include too many details. Cut down on the number of colors, keep it simple, and include outlines where a shadow would make sense. I did a quick revision to show some of this, hopefully it helps make sense of what I am saying.
Attachments
gnat-demo.png
gnat-demo.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes thank you very much, that makes sense! I agree with your assessment, the current sprite has way too much going on in it. ;)
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I was a bit confused about where the legs were. Zooming in I see the right knee is sunlit whereas the right shin is shadowed, I think that threw me off. Come to think of it, is that unit going to have woodlandfloat movetype like the Shyde/Sylph? Because if it is, it will be able to fly over volcanoes, and the shin probably shouldn't be shadowed when the unit is on a volcano hex?

edit: Sorry, I was wrong. Sylph/Shyde can't enter volcanoes, the movetype doesn't allow entering unwalkable hexes. But maybe the lvl5 will be a true flier? :hmm:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

josteph wrote: May 13th, 2019, 9:47 am I was a bit confused about where the legs were. Zooming in I see the right knee is sunlit whereas the right shin is shadowed, I think that threw me off. Come to think of it, is that unit going to have woodlandfloat movetype like the Shyde/Sylph? Because if it is, it will be able to fly over volcanoes, and the shin probably shouldn't be shadowed when the unit is on a volcano hex?

edit: Sorry, I was wrong. Sylph/Shyde can't enter volcanoes, the movetype doesn't allow entering unwalkable hexes. But maybe the lvl5 will be a true flier? :hmm:
Hi, josteph! Thanks for the comments! :D

Yes I agree, the original unit had the wrong shading on the legs so I am going to try to do something more like what doofus-01 posted. :)

Also about the volcano I had planned on keeping the movetype the same (so it would be able to go on volcanoes) but you do raise a good question, what does a Drake Glider look like when flying over volcano.

... I will just check ^_^

EDIT: It also seems to have the shading issue on lava. If you look at its under wing on the left side it is completely dark even though it would be lit. Though I think ^_^ that probably isn't going to get changed anytime soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The_Gnat wrote: May 14th, 2019, 7:10 am Also about the volcano I had planned on keeping the movetype the same (so it would be able to go on volcanoes)
Just to be sure we're on the same page, Shydes/Sylphs can't go on volcanoes.
The_Gnat wrote: May 14th, 2019, 7:10 am but you do raise a good question, what does a Drake Glider look like when flying over volcano.

... I will just check ^_^

EDIT: It also seems to have the shading issue on lava. If you look at its under wing on the left side it is completely dark even though it would be lit. Though I think ^_^ that probably isn't going to get changed anytime soon.

image.jpg
Good point! :) But perhaps, with WoV having been merged and Dunefolk revision nearing completion (which probably means campaigns and MP maps with more sand in them), drakes might possibly get more attention too. WoV already lead me to find an animation bug affecting Drake Flares :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

josteph wrote: May 15th, 2019, 11:22 am Just to be sure we're on the same page, Shydes/Sylphs can't go on volcanoes.
Yes, haha, that is what I meant :lol:
Good point! :) But perhaps, with WoV having been merged and Dunefolk revision nearing completion (which probably means campaigns and MP maps with more sand in them), drakes might possibly get more attention too. WoV already lead me to find an animation bug affecting Drake Flares :)
Yes that would be fantastic! The Drakes have always been a favorite faction of mine. :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay, so attempt #5 or 6 I am losing count ^_^ :
nature-divine2.png
nature-divine2.png (20.7 KiB) Viewed 8843 times
Thanks to doofus-01's suggestions it has become better and you can now kind of tell what is going on. The skirt still needs work though, and also I need to now sort out how I am going to make it look like it is level 5 because compared to the level 5 hierophant:
hierophant.png
hierophant.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 8843 times
it doens't quite look high enough level. ;) At the same time, though, I don't want to do the same armour and gold look that the hierophant has going.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The_Gnat wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:57 amalso I need to now sort out how I am going to make it look like it is level 5
Give it a standing animation?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

josteph wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:19 pm
The_Gnat wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:57 amalso I need to now sort out how I am going to make it look like it is level 5
Give it a standing animation?
Good idea! I will add some magical animations on the top to make it looks extra powerful :D

Also new skirt:
Attachments
nature-divine.png
nature-divine.png (20.88 KiB) Viewed 8785 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Also I was having a conversation on discord about female dwarves so decided to draw one :D
Attachments
runesmith+female.png
runesmith+female.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 8744 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Where's her beard? :hmm:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

doofus-01 wrote: May 19th, 2019, 4:16 am Where's her beard? :hmm:
She shaved it :lol: , she's kind of an outcast anyway since most dwarvish women are not allowed to practice the arts of the rune, so I guess she decided to go the whole way and shave the beard.