Mechanical's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Mechanical's art

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Mechanical wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:57 pm Well, the work continues. I made a sketch of the line of the ghosts of fear. These are the evil spirits of the steppe that look like wolves. Lvl 0 in the game will be transparent, like a ghost. Lvl 1 will become more material and begin to feed on fear. Lvl 2 is a fully material direwolf who has incarnated out of human horror.
Mechanical, you never fail to amaze us. This ghost-fear-wolf unit tree looks astounding! :D
Just look at the "bloodlust" on the level 2! Epic!
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Thank you for your appreciation! I modified the wolves (in particular the paws) and tried to draw another unit of the new faction. This is the skeleton of an ancient nomadic warrior who was summoned by the witches from the mound. I decided to experiment with shadows and used red, purple and green colors. How do you like the result?
Attachments
skeletons.png
skeletons.png (5.37 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

How do you like the result?
It is impressive. However, I do find one thing which is odd. His inner foreleg (the one on the spear side...if that clarifies which one) seems a bit...broken?
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

I continue to draw a line of skeletal riders. I adjusted legs, refined the scale and drew lvl 2. The nomads of antiquity were skilled warriors (like the Scythians in reality) and fought with a spear, an axe and a bow. Lvl 1 and lvl 2 also have a bow attack, despite the fact that because of the pose it is not visible.
Attachments
skeletons.png
skeletons.png (5.9 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
My art thread
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The level 1 looks a lot better now. The Level 2 looks superb. I am guessing the level 2 receives a secondary melee blade (axe) attack? Or, does the entire unit tree start with 3 attacks?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:43 pm The level 1 looks a lot better now. The Level 2 looks superb. I am guessing the level 2 receives a secondary melee blade (axe) attack? Or, does the entire unit tree start with 3 attacks?
Most likely the unit will receive a secondary melee on lvl2.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Quixotic_King

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

Mechanical wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:20 pm Lvl 1 and lvl 2 also have a bow attack, despite the fact that because of the pose it is not visible.
From a gameplay perspective is this perhaps too similar
To the Khaganate Nuckelavee? Both are presumably scouts with a pierce melee attack and a ranged attack aswell. What will differentiate the two units?
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:30 pm From a gameplay perspective is this perhaps too similar
To the Khaganate Nuckelavee? Both are presumably scouts with a pierce melee attack and a ranged attack aswell. What will differentiate the two units?
Hmmm, you do make a valid point. I'd the difference in theory would be that nuckelavee are a specialized 8-move scout, while the skeleton horseman is more of a fast 7mp flanker/meatshield (as the third faction is going to be pretty mobile).
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
The_Quixotic_King

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

ForestDragon wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm
The_Quixotic_King wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:30 pm From a gameplay perspective is this perhaps too similar
Hmmm, you do make a valid point. I'd the difference in theory would be that nuckelavee are a specialized 8-move scout, while the skeleton horseman is more of a fast 7mp flanker/meatshield (as the third faction is going to be pretty mobile).
Hm, perhaps his melee could be a charge attack? This would make the addition of the axe in his lvl 2 more meaningful aswell, and greatly changes the purpose of the unit.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:41 pm Hm, perhaps his melee could be a charge attack? This would make the addition of the axe in his lvl 2 more meaningful aswell, and greatly changes the purpose of the unit.
Hmmm, this unit is supposed to be more of a cheap light-cavalry sort than a heavy-cavalry one, so probably not :|
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Drawn lvl 3. Hope it looks good. The line of barrow riders is probably the most difficult thing I've drawn lately.
Attachments
skeletons.png
skeletons.png (9.63 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
My art thread
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Drawn lvl 3. Hope it looks good. The line of barrow riders is probably the most difficult thing I've drawn lately.
The level 3 looks spectacular! :shock: :shock: :O
That leading pose looks amazing. Pillage and Plunder! :D
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Thank. Lvl 3 is the ancient tsar, and lvl 2 and 1 are his warriors and retinue, who were buried in the mound with him. Initially, the tsar was in a static position, but then I decided that it was boring and emphasized his leadership qualities.
My art thread
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Thank. Lvl 3 is the ancient tsar, and lvl 2 and 1 are his warriors and retinue, who were buried in the mound with him. Initially, the tsar was in a static position, but then I decided that it was boring and emphasized his leadership qualities.
I have also noticed that he dropped his axe for a longsword...is there some lore behind it?
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Well, I assumed that the sword is a more noble weapon than an axe. Since the tsar's sword is chopping, the essence of the weapon does not change.
My art thread