Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wender_BR

Wender sprites

Post by Wender_BR »

Hi,

I play wesnoth everyday and btw games i like to try making sprites and i would like to improve myself to help in stuff of wesnoth
so, tell me anything about the sprites that donesnt look good (many things i suppose xD)

Curupira:
This guys is Curupira(folklore from brazil), his feet are twisted so his toes face backward and his heels forward. He has a red feathered headdress, and a terrible smell. There are stories about hunters meeting him and being chased or even killed. And it's said there are always bats around him at night, and butterflies in the daytime.
Level 1:
ImageImage
Level2:
Last edited by Wender_BR on August 10th, 2014, 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wender_BR

Re: Wender's art

Post by Wender_BR »

Another unit:
i like very much of archers of outlaws, so i made this one :
There is this guys too(a copy of spearman xD):Image
Last edited by Wender_BR on August 10th, 2014, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wender_BR

Post by Wender_BR »

I made some sprites for Chaos faction from Extended era, the chaos faction is a bit low powered, but i love them:

Original:

a possible lv2 for lesser mutation(i put the tail xD):

and then lv3:
Last edited by Wender_BR on August 10th, 2014, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Wender_BR wrote:Curupira:
This guys is Curupira(folklore from brazil), his feet are twisted so his toes face backward and his heels forward. He has a red feathered headdress, and a terrible smell. There are stories about hunters meeting him and being chased or even killed. And it's said there are always bats around him at night, and butterflies in the daytime.
Hi,
That's a cool idea, it's nice to see someone trying something a bit off the beaten path. The main critique I'd have a this point is to make sure you are starting off the right way. It looks like you directly drew a portrait at scale for the little image one sees in the help menu. Don't do it that way!
Draw the portrait at something like 1200 X 1200 pixels with a transparent background, then scale it down to 400 X 400 when you are finished. That 400 X 400 PNG is all you will need, because in the units/curupira.cfg (or whatever.cfg) file, you can define the portrait images like this (change the file names to the actual, of course):

Code: Select all

small_profile="portraits/curupira.png~SCALE(205,205)"
    profile=portraits/curupira.png
This thread might help with the actually drawing:
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21138
Though I see the images are lost in that thread... Well, maybe it still helps.

Good luck, Wender_BR.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wender_BR

Re: Wender sprites

Post by Wender_BR »

yeeess doofus-01 thanks for the tip! the quality of my portrait is lower than others xD i'm going to try redraw him in my next freetime
i want to make a faction defensor of forests, maybe like the wood warrior from Ageless era(i dont know which era)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You can see the portrait tutorial with most of the images here.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wender_BR

Post by Wender_BR »

thanks beetlenaut! :D