Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
A-Red
Art Contributor

Re: A-Red's sprite art (Sorrow, etc)

Post by A-Red »

The Flesh Atronach--a sort of flesh-and-bone elemental. Aside from the obvious benefits of its size and strength, it can mend the "injuries" of undead units around it, possibly at a small health cost to itself. Base level 2.

I got the name from Daggerfall, originally assuming that an atronach was a sort of generic mythical creature like every other monster in that game. I haven't been able to find any information on them though. Is it an Elder Scrolls-specific monster name, and if so, should I change it to something else?

More importantly: C&C needed, especially with regard to the musculature, and whether or not it is twisted and horrifying enough.
Last edited by A-Red on July 10th, 2009, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A-Red wrote:I got the name from Daggerfall, originally assuming that an atronach was a sort of generic mythical creature like every other monster in that game. I haven't been able to find any information on them though. Is it an Elder Scrolls-specific monster name, and if so, should I change it to something else?
You may have to change it, as all references I could find with that name lead distinctly to that game.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Ok, so the Flesh Atronach is now the Flesh Hulk.

Here's the Dirigible, which technically advances from the Wight (though for all practical purposes the Wight does not advance). Slightly thicker skin, and a much greater punch.

PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Its like a buddhist horror movie. I like. =P
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A-Red wrote:Here's the Dirigible, which technically advances from the Wight (though for all practical purposes the Wight does not advance). Slightly thicker skin, and a much greater punch.
Can I ask what your reason for the naming is? I have no major issues with it, it's just that Dirigible immediately brings to mind the craft itself, and not an individual. :P
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Turuk wrote:
A-Red wrote:Here's the Dirigible, which technically advances from the Wight (though for all practical purposes the Wight does not advance). Slightly thicker skin, and a much greater punch.
Can I ask what your reason for the naming is? I have no major issues with it, it's just that Dirigible immediately brings to mind the craft itself, and not an individual. :P
I think the idea is that the body is floating (due to being filled with lighter than air gasses).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Neoskel wrote:I think the idea is that the body is floating (due to being filled with lighter than air gasses).
Right, I figured out that correlation, but I was just wondering if he was bouncing any other name choices in his head and why he latched on to that one.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Dirigible is a very funny name. But it doesn't make sense in the setting that he's called this way. So it depends on the tone of the faction/campaign/whatever if the name is appropriate.

If the reason of flying is being inflated with light gases, I think the balance is not well achieved. He seems to be hanging from the shoulder. I suppose the stomach should be higher (and maybe bigger). Like a balloon.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If his belly were filled with helium or hydrogen, and was therefore the reason he floated, he would inevitably end up floating belly-up...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Unless his legs were heavy enough to keep them down. Perhaps he could wear a ball and chain deal around his ankles.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

melinath wrote:Perhaps he could wear a ball and chain deal around his ankles.
That could even be his attacks, he kicks with the ball and chains around his ankles... :hmm:
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

thespaceinvader wrote:If his belly were filled with helium or hydrogen, and was therefore the reason he floated, he would inevitably end up floating belly-up...
Well, I was thinking of him being entirely filled, but primary on the big stomach. He would be like me floating on the sea: if I do nothing I end belly up, but with some little effort (bigger in its case) I can float "stand up".

The ball and chain is still a good idea, anyway. Also, if belly up, he would look more like a dirigible.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The difficulty with that is that the sea produces significantly more resistance against your limbs than the air, and that your belly isn't the most buoyant thing in your body, your lungs are... But one assumes that a zombie's lungs wouldn't hold in gases too well...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

A Dirigible is a hot-air balloon with an internal frame, which is basically what this guy is. I admit to taking a cue from Bungie again, except that in this case they never actually used the unit in question, but left the standing frames as an easter egg of sorts in the files of Myth:TFL. As with the other Myth-inspired units, I've made some conceptual changes.

I also admit that I don't know much about the physics of human beings inflated with gases. I intended him to be entirely filled with it--after all, he's dead, and is not using those body parts for anything else. Having it in his lungs and other organs doesn't seem unreasonable, as he isn't breathing, his heart's not beating, his fluids aren't flowing...all he is intended to have is a little bit of awkward muscle control, and a lot of kaboom. I'd rather not have a ball hanging from his legs, because anything dragging on the ground would impede his drifting too much, but I'll definitely consider adding iron shackles around his ankles. It would cover up some of the shading issues on the legs anyway :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I think we were all aware of what a dirigible was, just the concept of a human one was an... interesting take on it. ;)
A-Red wrote:I also admit that I don't know much about the physics of human beings inflated with gases. I intended him to be entirely filled with it--after all, he's dead, and is not using those body parts for anything else. Having it in his lungs and other organs doesn't seem unreasonable, as he isn't breathing, his heart's not beating, his fluids aren't flowing...all he is intended to have is a little bit of awkward muscle control, and a lot of kaboom. I'd rather not have a ball hanging from his legs, because anything dragging on the ground would impede his drifting too much, but I'll definitely consider adding iron shackles around his ankles. It would cover up some of the shading issues on the legs anyway
Well, the ball does not have to be large enough to weigh him down that much, and can just float along with him. It would be his ballast. Have you given any thought to giving him an effect where, upon death, he "explodes" and causes damage to surrounding units?