Guards era art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tom of wesnoth

Guards era art

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Need help with guards era art please help..
Attachments
Beserker.psd
Beserker must look something like this!
(58.17 KiB) Downloaded 2345 times
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Jetrel

Re: Guards era art

Post by Jetrel »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:Need help with guards era art please help..
You need to give people a good reason to help.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

A good way to get art made for your faction is to complete the coding and balancing first. No one wants to make art for a faction that never gets made, mainly because the really good sprites and portraits can take an hour or two, sometimes much longer, to make. I'm working on my own faction, and even I wouldn't dare to ask for help from the artists until I have something to show for my work.

Also, a tip, you seem to be going all over this board at a mile a minute. It is a little annoying.

One more thing, try doing your own art. Perhaps you will not need artists to help you. At the very least, you will be able to tell the artists what you want thru your drawings.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Having seen your art, you might be better frankensteining (ie. copy-pasting parts of other units together) to start with. Then you can edit the result.

All the sprites in Wesnoth are stored in .png file format (readable by Photoshop, The GIMP and even MS Paint) in the images or data\images folder of C:\Program Files\Wesnoth (assuming you're on Windows). You can copy those files and edit them together via copy-paste to make new units.

Your unit descriptions seem like they could be created from parts of existing artwork with minimal editing.

Unfortunately, the sketches you've posted to date ( eg. the Orc and the "Jabber") are not accurate and detailed enough to clearly get your concept across.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Ive got south orcs in this era too heres my try so far on their blood lord(see below).
Attachments
I mean here the try is but of well.
I mean here the try is but of well.
For a start.png (32.35 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If it's an orc, why are you using drake parts?

Why is it so big? Keep it in the hex if you ever want to use it as an in-game unit.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

irrevenant wrote:Having seen your art, you might be better frankensteining (ie. copy-pasting parts of other units together) to start with. Then you can edit the result.
My bad: I presumed it was clear that I was talking about sprite art rather than portrait art. Frankensteining portrait art won't work very well.

Do not worry about drawing the portraits at this point, just draw the unit sprite art. Take the sprite art of an existing orc, copy it, and modify it. Copy other bits of other units as necessary. It should come out roughly 40 pixels tall.

See here for an example.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Like this :?:
Attachments
????
????
Ikiri the two blade warrior.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yep. That way along.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

Recoloring is nice too.

Here's an example:
Attachments
recouloured grunt.png
recouloured grunt.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That looks like a grunt with red blobs all over it. I hate to say it AGAIN, but recolouring with the sirbrush tool loses the carefully crafted nuances of shading on a unit, and makes them look fuzzy and blobby. I don't know why you don't do it the way i showed you, using the colourise tool in GIMP (or equivalent), which looks MUCH better.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Kuolon Tanssi

Post by Kuolon Tanssi »

Thespaceinvader is right. You're better off re-colouring pixel by pixel. You get a much better finnish, and in the end it doesn't take much time. You're better off putting in that extra bit of time and getting a better finnish.
"time for one more dream?"
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Kuolon Tanssi wrote:Thespaceinvader is right. You're better off re-colouring pixel by pixel. You get a much better finnish, and in the end it doesn't take much time. You're better off putting in that extra bit of time and getting a better finnish.
You don't have to recolour pixel by pixel. There are cheaty ways using the colour settings in the GIMP.

eg. Here's one of the fearsome south-south-easterly purple-orcs. Took about 2 minutes with free select and the "Hue-Saturation" option.

[EDIT] Space Invader, can you please point me at the post where you advised on use of the colour tools? I am but an egg in that regard and will find it very useful.
Last edited by irrevenant on October 3rd, 2007, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

It was in Firemaster's Swamp Elves thread, i'll just find it...
Clicky

I use the Colourise tool rather than Hue/Saturation, i find it more intuitive.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

wow... it seems as if tom is acctually taking this... seriously. If you are really going to be serious about this era and nobody is gonna kill me for it I will still help with the stat balancing MAYBE.