Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Franken-Pack

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

My idea is this; to make life easier on prospective Frankensteiners, would it be possible to organize a collection of heads, horses, shields, swords, spears, axes, bows, helms, and various other trinkets into a 'palette', in the same way some artists use an overlay with the selected colours around their work space in a graphics program? I don't know if maybe some of you have some tidbits left over in the course of your work.... I understand this would be a ridiculous amount of graphics, so it would likely be organized into basic themes, such as by faction or by function.

Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: The apparent culmination of these efforts appears in its final, monstrous form on page 9. Enjoy!
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

that was the orgiginal puropse of the GraphicLibrary....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

In a way, yes. But I mean actual unit parts, not complete units themselves. I know there are some in the graphics library....
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

This is a good idea.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

ery good idea, for all of us frankenstieners, it would be great.
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Of course you could always just take your time on the Frankensteins, for instance this fellow who is a mix of a plethora of non-mainline units. It's part frankie, part recolor, all strangeness.
Attachments
talon-knight.png
talon-knight.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 34987 times
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Frankensteining would be good, and would help with your more hero looking units, I know about the template made before to customize your hero, and the tutorial.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Something like what fmunoz put together a few months ago?

Might want to try and find that, to get a start anyway. There's a wiki page on it, IIRC.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I haven't heard of that... I'll try the wiki.
Jetrel

Re: Franken-Pack

Post by Jetrel »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:My idea is this; to make life easier on prospective Frankensteiners, would it be possible to organize a collection of heads, horses, shields, swords, spears, axes, bows, helms, and various other trinkets into a 'palette', in the same way some artists use an overlay with the selected colours around their work space in a graphics program? I don't know if maybe some of you have some tidbits left over in the course of your work.... I understand this would be a ridiculous amount of graphics, so it would likely be organized into basic themes, such as by faction or by function.

Feedback is appreciated.
For what it's worth, I never construct my units "by part" unless I'm borrowing something directly from another unit - and in that case, that's the only "part" that kicks around. I generally construct them "as a whole". As I'm working on something, if, say, an arm is wrong, I don't toss the arm, I just keep refining the arm until the it's right.

So essentially, there are no spare parts left unused.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I haven't heard of that... I'll try the wiki.
It's called "Give your hero a personality"
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That, I've seen. I meant something a bit broader in scope. Like.... a Wesnothian Potato Head. I can try to throw together a quick mockup of the idea tomorrow, but it's already tomorrow, and I'm tired.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Like.... a Wesnothian Potato Head.
Maybe I'm missing your point, but...well, drawing units doesn't really work like that...
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Have you heard of the old Potato Head, I am sure someone of your age would have seen Toy Story, which is basically, changing around body parts, which in wesnoth would be, sword part, head part, etc. And you simply put them together, noting that they would all have the same stance.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Oh, wow.... I missed my one-year anniversary on the forums..... I'll have to make sure I remember my one-year moderator anniversary.

I know finished, well-crafted units aren't drawn that way. This is more for dabblers and concept spriters. It would work sort of like this.......

Code: Select all

Across the top here, would be all sorts of melee weapons,
Divided by damage type. Impact, Blade, Pierce, what have you.

Down the Left                                  Over here would be
side would be                                  clothing, robes, armor,
heads, helms,                                  full bodies, that 
hoods, horns,                                  sort of thing 
etc...

And down here would be all the ranged weapons. Arranged like the melee.
And you assemble the pieces in the middle.