Samonella's questions: currently unsolved

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Samonella's questions: currently solved

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

So I guess what's needed is a way for [unit] to override the unit type's attack list with an empty list...?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Samonella

Re: Samonella's questions: currently unsolved

Post by Samonella »

Sorry to interrupt again, but I have already run into another problem. :roll: Do feel free to keep discussing the previous topics, and thanks for all the help! :)

I have an attack special that doesn't do anything, it's only purpose is to help me sort attacks in code. In the 'units' tab of the inspect window, it looks like this:

Code: Select all

[specials]
    [armorymod_checked]
        name="armorymod_checked"
        name_inactive=""
        [filter_self]
            type="this_type_does_not_exist"
        [/filter_self]
    [/armorymod_checked]
[/specials]
So it's always inactive and shouldn't show up to the user. It's working well for sorting, and the special doesn't show up in the column at the right of the screen, but the attack dialog shows this:
Image:
Is there something I can do about this? The wiki mentions that dummy specials need an id to display so I tried adding one, but it didn't change anything.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I can't think of any reason why that would happen, unless there's actually a bug in the attack dialog making it not ignore specials that should be ignored.

Regarding your attacks issue, I was curious about one other thing. If you remove all melee attacks from a unit with both ranged and melee attacks, it works, right? Now, what if you then attempt to remove all ranged attacks from the same unit? Do they get their melee attacks back, or does it just have no effect at all?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Regarding your attacks issue, I was curious about one other thing. If you remove all melee attacks from a unit with both ranged and melee attacks, it works, right? Now, what if you then attempt to remove all ranged attacks from the same unit? Do they get their melee attacks back, or does it just have no effect at all?
Good question... looks like it gets back all attacks.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Found a solution to my latest problem, I just use the id for my sorting purposes and put both name and name_inactive to an empty string. The name showing in the attack dialog still seems to be a bug though, I'm just working around it.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Samonella wrote:Not meaning to interrupt the current discussion, I have another question. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems that [effect]apply_to=remove_attacks cannot leave a unit with 0 attacks? My code is like this:

[modify_unit]
    [filter]
        < filter >
    [/filter]
    [effect]
        apply_to=remove_attacks
    [/effect]
[/modify_unit]
I know I'm filtering correctly, because if it targets a unit that originally had 2 attacks it will end up with 1, but I can't figure out how to remove all of them. Storing the unit, clearing its "attack" array and unstoring it has the same effect.
We were unable to reproduce that. None of the attacks got removed.

When you use [modify_unit][effect], it doesn't store the modification in unit.modifications (which is what happens with [modify_unit][object]). So when you use it to remove attacks as you do, the attacks get restored based on the unit type. It's expected behaviour, it's just poorly documented in [modify_unit][effect]. In your case, you should simply use an [object] instead.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

zookeeper wrote:
Samonella wrote:I know I'm filtering correctly, because if it targets a unit that originally had 2 attacks it will end up with 1, but I can't figure out how to remove all of them. Storing the unit, clearing its "attack" array and unstoring it has the same effect.
We were unable to reproduce that. None of the attacks got removed.
Hm, I can't either. That was my first post about it, when I was just messing with it instead of seriously testing; I must have gotten mixed up with a time I tried some filter. I'm still confident with the tests in my next post (which agree that no filter in [effect] = no attacks removed).
zookeeper wrote:When you use [modify_unit][effect], it doesn't store the modification in unit.modifications (which is what happens with [modify_unit][object]). So when you use it to remove attacks as you do, the attacks get restored based on the unit type. It's expected behaviour, it's just poorly documented in [modify_unit][effect]. In your case, you should simply use an [object] instead.
Sounds good, thanks!

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Here's a quick question: you know how in 1.13.8 the unit sprites in the unit descriptions look different, almost like they were painted? Does that happen to be an Image Path Function that just hasn't been documented yet? It would be very convenient.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Samonella wrote:Here's a quick question: you know how in 1.13.8 the unit sprites in the unit descriptions look different, almost like they were painted? Does that happen to be an Image Path Function that just hasn't been documented yet? It would be very convenient.
They're upscaled using XBRZ.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

zookeeper wrote:They're upscaled using XBRZ.
Perfect, thanks! Dunno how I missed it before.

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Hello again. I'm having trouble with [message]side_for in online multiplayer (part of a sp-mp hybrid mod). In the following code, the message often displays for the wrong side (usually side 1) even though I can see plainly from the DEBUG_MSG that {SIDE} is the right value. Can anyone spot a typo or something? Or maybe it's a wesnoth bug?

{DEBUG_MSG "Side for is {SIDE} and side_number is $side_number|"}
	[message]
		speaker=narrator
		side_for={SIDE}
		image=${WEAPON_VAR}.icon|~XBRZ(3)
		caption=${WEAPON_VAR}.description|
		message=_"Damage: <b>${WEAPON_VAR}.damage| x ${WEAPON_VAR}.number|</b>
Range: <b>${WEAPON_VAR}.range|</b>
Damage type: <b>${WEAPON_VAR}.type|</b>$armorymod.display_specials|$armorymod.weapon_note|"
		{OPTIONS}
	[/message]
{OPTIONS} is wml code containing 0 or more [option] tags. The message always displays to the correct side when there's an option or two, but it is usually wrong when there are none. So I could work around this by always having at least one option ("continue" or something when I wouldn't have otherwise had one) but if someone can tell me what's going wrong I'd appreciate it.

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

1.13.x(3?)-1.13.8 cannot tell difference between network human, and local player.

I thought that side_for is specifically ignored for dialogs that ask for user input.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Ravana wrote:1.13.x(3?)-1.13.8 cannot tell difference between network human, and local player.
It has a is_local flag though that can be queried.
Ravana wrote: I thought that side_for is specifically ignored for dialogs that ask for user input.
in 1.13.8 side_for= is iirc no longer ignored for message with options, but unlike messages without options it onyl supports single sides, no lists of sides. Be aware though that most users don't expect the game to query them off-turn, so using side_for with options should be avoided if possible.

Samonella wrote: The message always displays to the correct side when there's an option or two, but it is usually wrong when there are none. So I could work around this by always having at least one option ("continue" or something when I wouldn't have otherwise had one) but if someone can tell me what's going wrong I'd appreciate it.
This coudl be a known bug in wesnoth 1.13.8, in that case it's already fixed in master and will be in 1.13.9 . I could update my "lua_fixes" addon to include that fix but since 1.13.9 is planned soon probably won't bother.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I seem to recall that I added the is_local flag specifically in order to fix a bug related to side_for?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Sounds good, I'll use dummy options for now and hopefully will remove them in the next version.