The Great Steppe Era (1.16,1.18 add-on server)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: [Alpha] The Great Steppe Era (1.14 add-on server)

Post by ForestDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:21 am
if you somehow get a darkens ability (from another addon), it will now make vampires stay in night form while the area is darkened
I just want to say that I am looking very forward to testing out GSE's Khaganate (Great Steppe Era and not General Secondary Education XD) in World Conquest2.
Glad to hear that. The khaganate would definitely be interesting for such maps, especially with the enslave ability. And yeah, the change is precisely for neat synergies with such scenarios.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:21 am
if you somehow get a darkens ability (from another addon), it will now make vampires stay in night form while the area is darkened
I just want to say that I am looking very forward to testing out GSE's Khaganate (Great Steppe Era and not General Secondary Education XD) in World Conquest2.
Me and my mates have been testing this era in Invincibles Conquest (WC + LotI) for a quite a time :D
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

The main discussion question raised recently is whether a gnoll spam fails during the day
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Tried the latest version on the classic large scenario map Twister Desert (Inanna) and found a few interesting things.

1. The scroll to pillage by unseen enemies is rather annoying on a big map.
2. The free slave calc. is sweet but seems to count undead/khaganate units as freers. With 6 players and 2 factions on this map there are loads of mirror matches happening of course.
3. Slaves might be freed by monsters! My favourite maps all have random monsters popping up and while I didn't see it happen I suspect it is possible by the rules. A level 2 Water Serpent could have freed a slave on my side. :-) "Oh thank you big snake for freeing... auugh stop eating me...." 8-D

Oh and a idea: A toggle-able halo for Overseers/Serpentheads to show their radius of influence visually (dunno if halos can extend that far, haven't used them yet)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Atreides wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:46 pm 1. The scroll to pillage by unseen enemies is rather annoying on a big map.
Hmmmm... I suppose I could add an option to disable the scrolling.
Atreides wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:46 pm 2. The free slave calc. is sweet but seems to count undead/khaganate units as freers. With 6 players and 2 factions on this map there are loads of mirror matches happening of course.
Well, undead cannot free units directly, but they do count towards the level advantage if you have units that can free the slaves. as for khaganate, yeah, that will need some tweaking.
Atreides wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:46 pm3. Slaves might be freed by monsters!
I think I fixed that in the previous patches :? If the slaves are still free-able, lemme know.
Atreides wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:46 pm Oh and a idea: A toggle-able halo for Overseers/Serpentheads to show their radius of influence visually (dunno if halos can extend that far, haven't used them yet)
Eh, not sure, but might consider it
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

With monsters it's hard because fire dragon is a monster too but I guess he definitely can free :D
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

dwarftough wrote: March 16th, 2021, 12:36 pm The main discussion question raised recently is whether a gnoll spam fails during the day
Yes and no.

Yes because you will lose some units to tumen during day.

No because you already have gold advantage, ogres arent lawful, you have a lot of slow and as long as you dont lose too many vills you will outlast them. There is aslo fun issue with disloyal gnolls becoming fertilizer for still on your side gnolls cuz they just die to them.

For me gnolls change sides almost only if enemy has level 2 unit around or tremendous advantage.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.7 update is out! Changelog:
- slaves now have their own race: southern humans (mostly just to give them dunefolk names instead of default human ones)
- added the option (in match settings) to enable a halo for units with oversight/khagan's presence that visualls shows the abilities' radius
- added the option (in match settings) to disable camera movement that happens when a village is burned
- the slave calculator now takes into account whether the current side is the khaganate, and will show that they cannot free enemy slaves
- buffed slaves' forest defense from 40% to 50%
- buffed slave spearman's damage from 6-2 to 7-2 (the advancements also got their damaged buffed by 1)
- buffed gnoll's pierce/impact resistances from 0% to 10%
- buffed greyblade's cost from 19 to 18
- nerfed chariot hp from 52 to 50
- nerfed chariot blade resistance from 30% to 20%
- the capture ability now triggers on-kill events when selling units (otherwise selliing units could likely break some scenarios), except for the on-kill abilities like disloyal.
- the ogre mancatcher line no longer uses mainline ogre portraits, as they really didn't fit the unit, and the other ogre lines don't use it anymore
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.8 update is out! Changelog:
- the capture ability now move the captured unit behind the capturer
- added a disloyal calculator rightclick menu (works like the slave calculator)
- added a captured calculator rightclick menu (works like the slave calculator)
- cages from the capture ability now scale to the unit's size (using Lua)
- fixed trample not triggering non-pillage moveto events properly
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Another request based on some more play: The gold coin sound for unseen kills/pillages really ought not to be heard.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Atreides wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 11:39 pm Another request based on some more play: The gold coin sound for unseen kills/pillages really ought not to be heard.
Hmmmmm, not sure whether that can be done, but will try. Thanks for the suggestion :)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.9 update is out! Changelog:
- buffed ogre fungus defense from 20% to 30% (except for chariots)
- added the marksman special to the ogre mancatcher line's ranged attack (so it's easier to finish off enemies)
- nerfed gnoll fire resistance from 0% to -10%
- made a new willbreak attack animation for the serpent tarhan line
- added a simple leadership animation to serpent tumenbashi/serpent khagan
- added a simple floating animation to lvl2/lvl3 tarbynns
- the serpentheads' black fire attack is now slightly blacker
- the serpentheads' black fire attack now has a different animation when missing (as having the hit/miss anims be identical was a bit annoying)
- added new icons for tumenbashi/khagan's crush will/enslave attacks
- translated the serpent tarhan/tumenbashi/khagan's description into english
- translated the greyblade's description into english
- translated the gnoll biter's description into english
- translated the nuckelavee's description into english
- translated the slave bowman's description into english
- fixed the disloyal calculator not showing the level properly
- fixed the disloyal calculator not showing oversight properly
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.2.0 update is finally out, bringing with it the long-awaited third faction - the Dead Field Coven!

The Dead Field Coven is a faction gathered by the fugitive witch-queen in the eastern lands of the Great Steppe. Playing as this faction, you will control a sinister army of fugitive witches, demons, half-blood kanavars and the ancient horrors of the steppe in the form of primitive beasts possessed by the spirits, ghost wolves woven from fear, and skeletal nomads. You have to support and breed the new race of nomad half-demons and gradually accumulate your power. The faction is weak at the initial stage of the game, but strong in a long game, when it is possible to gather several generations of kanavars and sweep away the enemy army with a horde of half-breeds led by the demons themselves.
screenshot_hunns_all.png
screenshot_hunns_demons.png
screenshot_hunns_witches.png
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I think this 3rd faction will be my favourite.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hi, here are some replays:

For the freelands one, I did trigger some WML warning message though:
2p — The Freelands replay.gz
(36.88 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
2p — Sablestone Delta replay.gz
(29.81 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium