The Great Steppe Era (1.16,1.18 add-on server)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: [Alpha] The Great Steppe Era (1.14 add-on server)

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.4 update is out! Changelog:
- nerfed the village gold from the pillage ability by 25% (from 4 times the village income to 3 times the village income)
- nerfed lvl1 chariot's trample damage from 13-1 to 11-1, and lvl2 chariot's trample damage from 20-1 to 17-1
- nerfed the ogre grunt's cost from 14 to 15
- buffed serpenhead tarhan's price from 22 to 21
- slightly reduced exp requirements for the following units: ogre hunter, ogre mancatcher, ogre slaver's apprentice, ogre shaman, ogre bull priest, naga overseer
- the oversight/khagan's presence abilities no longer work while the unit is captured
- the enslave ability's description now specifies that enslaving an enemy leader enslaves his other units
- the AI will no longer attack prisoners
- fixed the capture ability description not specifying the level requirements in the english version, and specifiying the incorrect radius in the russian version
- fixed enslaved overseers "overseeing" themselves (thus not being able to be freed)
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Paralysis of twilight warrior seems not working at all
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

New tier list is here. :P

Bull Tumen:
Spoiler:
Serpent Khaganate:
Spoiler:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Typo fire resitance (wooly bull... oh so cute, I want one as a pet :-) in their custom trait desc.

Finished a quick game as Ogres. First time captured enemy. Interesting. I noticed that the slaves now have cool black bars. Very helpful, I did similar in my era to highlight amla'd santa elves. The slaves now really do cluster near the overseers, works great! Mind... I did target and slaughter the overseers and then freed some slaves. But, it works well, just saying there's a way to counter it (as there ought to be). The chariots seem very fragile now, lost every one I built. Oh and further to the bars, I didn't notice if the disloyals also have a different colour bar. That'd be cool. Maybe dark grey? Perhaps add a custom ellipse to the overseers to show they influence nearby slaves? Oh and also pillage ability could grey out when not over a village? (filter_self -> filter if it is set as I suspect)
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Imho the original core idea of the Serpent faction, playing with overseen slaves, works well only in a serpent mirror. Slaves don't turn coats so easily in the mirror, so you can safely employ cheap damage, supplementing them with one overseer for +15% boost. Against ogres slaves struggle at night, and gnoll spam might be more efficient (gnolls might desert with inaccurate play but they are very efficient and desert now not so often. And have slow which is very important).

Dunno ofc, maybe a slave wall will be more promising in matchups against new upcoming factions.

For ogres I would probably agree with Hejnewar and employ more slingers now. Spam what costs 14g, if a grunt costs 15g, then spam slingers :D. And ofc chariots, must-have. Also tarbynn has completely unrestricted mobility, on some maps it hampers opponent's forces very well, e.g. on the Cave of the Basilisk tarbynn controls the central cave and creates much pressure.

That is the state-of-the-art thoughts on the current balance, though researches are still continuing.
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Ah, some comment finnaly.
dwarftough wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:36 pm Imho the original core idea of the Serpent faction, playing with overseen slaves, works well only in a serpent mirror. Slaves don't turn coats so easily in the mirror, so you can safely employ cheap damage, supplementing them with one overseer for +15% boost. Against ogres slaves struggle at night, and gnoll spam might be more efficient (gnolls might desert with inaccurate play but they are very efficient and desert now not so often. And have slow which is very important).

Dunno ofc, maybe a slave wall will be more promising in matchups against new upcoming factions.
In mirror gnolls shouldnt really desert against slave walls because slaves are 0 lvl :P they could vs another gnoll wall. When I was playing vs Elder if one of us didnt go for gnoll spam, he would just lose.
For ogres I would probably agree with Hejnewar and employ more slingers now. Spam what costs 14g, if a grunt costs 15g, then spam slingers :D. And ofc chariots, must-have. Also tarbynn has completely unrestricted mobility, on some maps it hampers opponent's forces very well, e.g. on the Cave of the Basilisk tarbynn controls the central cave and creates much pressure.
For me hunters were slightly stronger even before grunt nerf (small enough difference that most people would not notice it probably but still), I was having hard time understanding why people suggested nerfing him, just because he was used a lot?

Cow + Chariot (or double cow) can work well when pillaging on CotB, for sure cow can withstand more than Tabrynn, it's crazy durability is really nothing to scoff at. Cow is also last not really tested in main attack unit that has some potential, it must be glorious to do cow + chariot only spam. :lol:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

dwarftough wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:36 pm Imho the original core idea of the Serpent faction, playing with overseen slaves, works well only in a serpent mirror. Slaves don't turn coats so easily in the mirror, so you can safely employ cheap damage, supplementing them with one overseer for +15% boost. Against ogres slaves struggle at night, and gnoll spam might be more efficient (gnolls might desert with inaccurate play but they are very efficient and desert now not so often. And have slow which is very important).

That is the state-of-the-art thoughts on the current balance, though researches are still continuing.
Will keep that in mind.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Hejnewar wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:33 pm Cow + Chariot (or double cow) can work well when pillaging on CotB, for sure cow can withstand more than Tabrynn, it's crazy durability is really nothing to scoff at. Cow is also last not really tested in main attack unit that has some potential, it must be glorious to do cow + chariot only spam. :lol:
Cow might be an option, I somewhat underestimated it I guess. Not so much damage and always 5 mp, but 5 mp is not that slow and tons of hp with a low price might be enough for somewhat inferior damage.
Hejnewar wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:33 pm For me hunters were slightly stronger even before grunt nerf (small enough difference that most people would not notice it probably but still), I was having hard time understanding why people suggested nerfing him, just because he was used a lot?
Hunters didn't catch my eye first because of grunts having a bit more damage. Still, I must admit hunters damage difference is minuscule and they have both ranges
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

dwarftough wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:40 pm Cow might be an option, I somewhat underestimated it I guess. Not so much damage and always 5 mp, but 5 mp is not that slow and tons of hp with a low price might be enough for somewhat inferior damage.
I wont take credit for it if it works cuz Elder came up with it first. :P I still agree its very good tool to play somewhat longer game (they dont drain your gold) or pillage. Its damage can be ok, for 12g you get 8-1 or 10-1 charge with chariot you get 7-2 or 8-2 with charge, biggest problem here would be complete lack of hex efficiency and taking more damage than necessary or than chariot (or most other units) would. Lesser regeneration helps with that a bit but its not enough alone I think. Still very good for a unit without upkeep.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.4c is out! Changelog:
- fixed oversight/khagan's presence abilities working on enemy slaves/disloyal units
- fixed the paralyze ability not working properly for vampires
- small AI improvements
it's a pretty small patch, but as you can see, we're still very much maintaining the era, despite most of the actual work being on the third faction
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

ForestDragon wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:34 pm despite most of the actual work being on the third faction
Oh exciting! I must have missed that. Looking forward to it.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Atreides wrote: March 4th, 2021, 5:41 pm Oh exciting! I must have missed that. Looking forward to it.
btw, if you want some sneak peeks, you can check out mechanical's art thread :)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.5 release is out! Changelog:
- added a rightclick menu that lets you whether a slave can be freed or not
- added attack animations for slave infantry (contributed by Tezereth)
- nerfed chariot price from 20 to 22
- slaves are now worth 0.5 levels for levels calculations (this is so they are a bit harder to free)
- fixed the enslave ability being able to enslave units of any level
- fixed the old the old slave code counting allies as enemies, and enemies as allies
- fixed trampling chariots "bouncing" off mountains/walls
- bats/falcons can no longer free slaves
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 0.1.6 release is out! Changelog:
- redesigned the slave calculator menu
- added an easter egg unit only accessible through debug
- added attack/defend/leadership animations for naga overseer (contributed by Tezereth)
- added scimitar attack/defend animations for naga punisher (contributed by Tezereth)
- added attack/defend animations for naga bekh (contributed by Tezereth)
- added attack animation for naga beklarbekh (contributed by Tezereth)
- added defend animation for slave infantry (contributed by Tezereth)
- buffed the capture ability's gold from 125% of the unit's cost to 133%
- buffed nuckelavee's forest/deep water/cave/fungus movement costs (reduced by 1 each), and increased fungus defense from 20% to 30%
- nerfed bull's hp from 47 to 45, and tribal bull's hp from 70 to 68
- the overwhelm weapon special now fully disables the enemy attack instead of setting its strikes to 0 (as otherwise it could be abused against berserkers)
- if you somehow get a darkens ability (from another addon), it will now make vampires stay in night form while the area is darkened
- fixed enslaved units being able to move/attack on the same turn as they were enslaved
- fixed the disloyal description being incorrect
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

if you somehow get a darkens ability (from another addon), it will now make vampires stay in night form while the area is darkened
I just want to say that I am looking very forward to testing out GSE's Khaganate (Great Steppe Era and not General Secondary Education XD) in World Conquest2.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium