Re: Armies of Amberan (wesnoth 1.14,1.16 and 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AlbinLePaladin

Re: Armies of Amberan (wesnoth 1.14,1.16 and 1.18)

Post by AlbinLePaladin »

Hello everyone !

Two weeks ago (12 may 2020) I uploaded my first add-on on the serveur - Armies of Amberan - after one and a half year of early developement. It still on beta for the moment since more faction will be added to the add-on in the future. This is based on the world I have created for my TTRPGs.

The current factions includes :

- Farengarian kingdoms. A faction composed of nobles with a powerful leadership ability, expensive heavy melee units and magic-users and relatively cheap footmen and ranged units. This faction is mostly lawful (except mages).

- Finn's Empire. A faction consisting of disciplined infantry fighting in formation with spears, crossbows and handguns, supported by skirmishers, healers and cannons. This faction is lawful.

- Mauve Islands federation. The union of the wizards of the mages cities strijing their ennemies with their magic and of the warriors of the clans, lining up light infantry and pikemens. This faction is composed of neutral units (wizards) and lawful units (clansmens)

- Norse Jarldoms. An army with expensive but powerful warriors fighting in shieldwalls, crossbowmens and cavaliers, and cheap raiders units who are good at skirmishes. The warriors are neutral and the raiders chaotics.

- Kingdoms of Rovahr. A faction of brave (and expensive) crusaders, knights and priests with their cheap peasants leavies. This faction is lawful (with the exception of neutral mages, the others can have the fearless trait) and generaly good against surnatural threats.

- Galianos Imperium. This army have a great variety of units, infantry and cavalry alike, with the support of healers and alchemists. This is a mostly well-rounded army (they might lack of inpact damage on 1st level units) of lawful and neutral alignment.

- Farengarian dwarve's Counties. The dwarves living in farengar, dispite being subjects of the human kings and queens, have their own army consisting of heavy infantry, bear and griffins riders, siege weapons and rune mages. this faction is neutral (except the lawful balistas/bombard)

- Dwarven Kingdoms of Morkenost and Darfenlend. This faction is the union of the army od the kingdom of Morkenost, consiting of heavy soldiers with polearms, hanguns and hammers, and the woarriors of the kingdom of Darfenlend with their light infantry, griffin riders and sorceresses. this faction is neutral.

The faction that might come in the near future are mostly non-human (elves/orcs/undeads) factions (I'm currently making sprites for an elven faction)

If you have feedbacks concerning :
- The global running of the mod (not working, sprites not displayed etc..)
- The overall language (English isn't my firts language)
- The french traduction (like missing names)
- The descriptions if implemented (if an ability have an unclear description for exemple)
- The overall balance between factions
- The units balance (units like enchanters or arcanists might be OP for exemple)
Please report it here so I can fix it if possible.
Last edited by AlbinLePaladin on March 22nd, 2024, 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Armies of Amberan (wesnoth 1.14)

Post by Atreides »

Hi! Bug in discipline. Does not make lawful units have 0% at night. Have a Captain surrounded by units at night and all show -25% (lawful). All units did move if that makes any difference.

In the desc. screen for the Captain I noticed that formation, leadership,,,,,,discipline was the way it was displayed.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Atreides wrote: May 27th, 2020, 8:02 pm Hi! Bug in discipline. Does not make lawful units have 0% at night. Have a Captain surrounded by units at night and all show -25% (lawful). All units did move if that makes any difference.

In the desc. screen for the Captain I noticed that formation, leadership,,,,,,discipline was the way it was displayed.
I fixed it myself by rewriting abilities.cfg to include cumulative abilties. Officer and Discipline now work together to give larger leadership bonus at night.
DELETED BECAUSE IT WAS BUGGY

The two units affected are below, with new officer ability.
DELETED, NOT NEEDED
Last edited by Atreides on May 28th, 2020, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlbinLePaladin

Post by AlbinLePaladin »

Hi! Bug in discipline. Does not make lawful units have 0% at night. Have a Captain surrounded by units at night and all show -25% (lawful). All units did move if that makes any difference.
Thanks to point that out ! I tried your solution but making a cumulative leadership ability is broken. I tried to put two captains near a lvl1 unit and it had +50% damage, wich is not how it is supposed to work. So I created a new discipline that is merged with the classic leadership bonuses and make it cumulates at night for lawful units.
In the desc. screen for the Captain I noticed that formation, leadership,,,,discipline was the way it was displayed.
Well, it's a modelization problem, and I should entirely rewrite those abilities... and now it's become formation, leadership,,,,discipline,,, because of the way I rewrited discipline... :?
I might try to make it cleaner in the future, but for the moment I focus on making everything work correctly.

Here is the new ability file if you want to test it :
abilities.cfg
The new file with the fixed discipline ability
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

AlbinLePaladin wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:22 am
Thanks to point that out ! I tried your solution but making a cumulative leadership ability is broken. I tried to put two captains near a lvl1 unit and it had +50% damage, wich is not how it is supposed to work. So I created a new discipline that is merged with the classic leadership bonuses and make it cumulates at night for lawful units.
In the desc. screen for the Captain I noticed that formation, leadership,,,,discipline was the way it was displayed.
Well, it's a modelization problem, and I should entirely rewrite those abilities... and now it's become formation, leadership,,,,discipline,,, because of the way I rewrited discipline... :?
I might try to make it cleaner in the future, but for the moment I focus on making everything work correctly.

Here is the new ability file if you want to test it :
abilities.cfg
Thanks for the quick fix. I am only an amateur and wanted to play the crucial night turns vs some undead :) So I cobbled together something I thought worked :)

I wouldn't bother about the ,,,, I think I saw what causes it but since it turns out to have nothing to do with the problem it's not really that important aside from looks.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I forgot (again!) that some things like abilites are saved in the savefiles. So to test it started a test game and made sgt and cit only. All works as intended. I am using my modified sgt/cap files (had to delete the officer abil but didn't put leadership back. I presume that game will chose the better of leadership & discipline) instead of the originals which I don't have anymore. I guess you could delete leadership from the official sgt/cap to make it less confusing to new players.

My saved game has 2 (wrongly) edited units. I'll have to keep them apart I guess. Re-editing the save file probably isn't worth my while hehe.

I had guessed that 2 sgt/cap adj to lower lvl would be broken but wasn't sure that was how cumulative works. Your version works properly. I actually had speculated that since both abilities are leadership they ought to be combined somehow. I did not know how to do that. :)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Just updated to the latest version and got this:

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons/Armies_of_Amberan/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Found invalid closing tag [/abilities] for tag [unit_type]
opened at ~add-ons/Armies_of_Amberan/units/empire/Commandant.cfg:2
included from ~add-ons/Armies_of_Amberan/_main.cfg:21
closed at ~add-ons/Armies_of_Amberan/units/empire/Commandant.cfg:27
included from ~add-ons/Armies_of_Amberan/_main.cfg:21
AlbinLePaladin

Post by AlbinLePaladin »

Woops ! I didn't tested it before uploading it, idiot I am. But I uploaded a patch fix, and tested it before doing so.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found a couple of spelling/usage errors.

falme -> flame :) (alchemist & a few more I think)

incandescent bullets -> heated shot (mortar)
If you are interested read this wikipedia article about heated shot, I found it fascinating
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heated_shot

Oh almost forgot <roll eyes> in the desc. of discipline have should be has
basplate

Post by basplate »

Hello, first let me say it is a wonderful era with beautiful units,

sadly i can't move your units anymore :/
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Enchanter Apprentice has been nerfed? Cures and heals +8 is now heals +4? (Seems a good idea) I just built a new one in my long Dominus map game and it was different. Hehehe, well now I have even more of a Frankenstein game going. Still may have some of the Sergeants that I modified (badly) myself as well now new versions of some units.

By the way I should mention that the smoke animation from the guns firing is exquisite! And the quality of the sounds is stunning, they sound cleaner and crisper than the standard wesnoth guns.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Gallowglass has no advancement. Missing an AMLA by accident?
Marximilian

Post by Marximilian »

I see Armies of Amberan has gotten an update, tho been awhile I played it but did most of the dwarves factions get a sprite update/change?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Every time you open the add-on manager in BfW 1.16, you get this message in the console: add-on 'Armies_of_Amberan' has an icon which cannot be found: 'Carte.png'

It looks like you are trying to use an icon that only exists inside the add-on. The icon can't be displayed if the add-on is not installed.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
AlbinLePaladin

Upadate 3: Armies of Amberan (wesnoth 1.14)

Post by AlbinLePaladin »

Big update ! I added an elf faction, they're a bit of variation of the base elves rather than a brand new faction but it still someting (and I remade most of the sprites)
Also I realised that I have'nt announced the goblins either. They're different because I made them green. And also because they play a bit differantly for the norntheners, since they don't have orcs.