A New Land Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Robertdebrus

Re: A New Land Era

Post by Robertdebrus »

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the notification, I removed the forced requirement for now and updated the addon
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

A few things changed over time, but there was never a changelog:

worker options:
- Flooding fields (and for undead creating swamps) can only be done next to water terrain.
- Upon popular demand, castles can be removed, but for a price.
(Is that needed for villages too? Not added yet because of balancing concerns in PvP.)
- Walking corpses created by plague and recruited units need to wait 1 turn to build.

balancing:
- Some rebalancings happened, mostly nerfs. Elves have 2 hp less, drakes 3.
- Outlaws pay always 8 gold for recruitment, 6 was too less. They have a "random recruit" unit for that (70:30 chances).
- Outlaws have hunters, which gain much gold (too much?)
- Dwarves have leadership (+25%) instead of inspire (+50%).
- L1 Goblins and Soulless can work too.
- Obtaining several units with negotiation got easier.
- Starting gold on the 5p map is by default 75.

other:
- Thanks to the Default L0 Era male elves got better teamcoloring.
- Research can now be researched boosted, known as philosophy from Undead Empire. Balancewise untested.
- The era can be played without activating destruction by AI units. Scenarios still use it.
- A few terrain codes are replaced at game start.

on the technical level:
- 1.15 is fully supported.
- Partly using Lua now.
- ANL will never interfere with placed items by other add-ons.
- Trapped units can be trapped in a cage too, not only a spider web.
- It's easier easier to reuse code when creating ANL scenarios.
Example:
And for everybody who doesn't know yet: There is a merfolk unit which can build in rivers and one which can research in special universities.
Try out the dark board theme.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I just downloaded this and tried the Wall scenario vs 3 AI. As half expected the AI did not build keeps so abandoned that.

Next tried the 2p Island one and played both allied sides. The Elves were fine but the dwarves "mage" unit (wisdom?) gave an error and bug report when trying to research at the Uni. Sorry could not copy/paste the info (is that even possible?). So I assumed that maybe they can't research and let my leader do diplo. Same sort of error when he managed to negotiate a new unit! So I abandoned this game too...

Pity. It looks like fun.

Oh and also one of the worker units (elf citizen) flickers when fighting. Animation error. I actually know a little about that and could fix and submit to github. Missing/incorrect image file in the frames I suspect.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Thanks for the feedback. I uploaded an update which fixes the issues.

For The Wall map, they do now get a castle, some more villages and a guard, but they won't build more things themselves.
In difference to the other maps in the add-on – or Undead Empire – this is a normal MP map, which one can turn into an ANL game with the era. Special to the map is that you have several turns to build yourself a castle due to the wall.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Tried the latest version but got an error right after it downloaded(updated) it. Tried to take a screenshot but I screwed that up. Was something about addon widgets not defined in WML.

Seems to work anyways but I found another bug.

Not applicable, new data see pps:
(Rogue Mage can access research menu alright but after 3 turns he gained 0 points while sitting on the Uni.)
(The Dwarven Witness does work now though, sweet!)

p.s. I understand the Wall scen. isn't meant to be played vs AI, I just tried it out of curiosity in case it had been programmed so.

p.p.s. It seems after some more playing that if you first research warfare and then switch to agri it won't gain points but if you start out with agri first it does work. This is for any faction it looks like.
Last edited by Atreides on September 7th, 2020, 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

The first sounds like an wesnoth bug, probably related the add-on manager. Because one usually downloads add-ons just once we don't know much about it. If you ever encounter it again, a bug report would help (best at https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues )

For the Rouge Mage, I can't confirm it. Maybe it was just researching something else? There should be a white »1« be displayed for a moment at turn start over his sprite too.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Sorry about all the pps's the situation was evolving quickly as they say lol. The problem is only the one in the p.p.s. the earlier stuff I should have deleted and will now.

As for the downloading, I should have written I updated it using the game system as is proper, I did not download the addon twice.
hay207
Double Style Tourney #1 Champ

Post by hay207 »

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated, Shiki's converting the addon to Lua, that can cause bugs, sorry for the inconvenience
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine, Scrolling survival, Scrolling survival Co-op, Temples of the nagas.
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios like: ANL 3p "A New Land" survival type, and ANL Co-operative map for 2p
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Unfortunately yes. A new update is out fixing the problem. Would never have found that bug on my own.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Latest version works great so far! Thanks for the quick repairs, it's quite fun (esp. when you start with 800 gold, I've learned to start high and am working my way down else I get too frustrated hehe) with all the different factions and unique abilities.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found a bug! In diplomacy I had my Loyalists try negotiate with Undead and it took 2 turns to get 1 point. Furthermore once it was done it stayed at 3/4 on the display. And worst of all it didn't give me the choice of undead but Loyalists instead!

Tried it with the other faction (Elves - this is the 2p Island Scen.) and it was similar. Got a Loyalist first time and then (since it's stuck at 3/4 it only takes 2 turns to get another) when I switched to Drakes (the choice above undead) which were at 0/4 it instantly gave me a choice... of UNDEAD!
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Hi Atreides, thanks for finding that. Quite bad one. The fix is out for this as well.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Did not see an update on addons?

Also found another bug while playing the Undead Empire which uses this era. Side 1 (red) researched a new recruit (first in the game) but when right clicking adept on Uni and choosing choose recruit the menu just closes and nothing happens. Choose area of research works as usual on that same menu.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

I uploaded it already a few days ago, you probably got it already. Also updated Undead Empire now which still used the old code.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Shiki wrote: September 19th, 2020, 4:34 pm I uploaded it already a few days ago, you probably got it already. Also updated Undead Empire now which still used the old code.
Thanks for the quick fix to Undead Empire.

I upgraded it and tried the game in progress again from the old save before the choose recruit bug popped up but it didn't make any difference. I suppose I have to start a fresh game because the old data was saved in the save file?