Imperial Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Re: Imperial Era

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yeah, maybe.

I can't say I've played Arendians enough to get a feel for them, yet. If you want to put some stats together I can put them in the dev and we can try it. I like the needing to rely on horses thing for them thematically, but I'd like to try out any options that people want to put the effort into trying.

My current project is a big upgrade to FoS like I did to Vaniyera last year. Then I'll try and do 1.12 updates for the other campaigns and if we have any luck I'll get another major IE release out before I lose enthusiasm for Orbivm again. If you or anyone else would like to help with any of that (particularly the campaign updates) that would be sweet.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'll see what I can do. I have a brief window of opportunity until the second week of August, but then it'll be full time law school for me!
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on July 24th, 2015, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

They grow up so fast! :mrgreen:
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote:They grow up so fast! :mrgreen:
Too true.

Another option, I suppose, would be to give the Arendians a freediver. It would be unusual for the IE, but it might work. And it would develop the World of Orbivm, and Arendia's place in it, a little more. That way, Arendia would be economically important.

Freediver -> Spearfisher

Tentative descriptions:

Freediver

"At the mouth of River Arendia lives an unusual tribe that reaps the bounty of the seas. Their freedivers hunt seafood for the tribe, and precious pearls to sell."

Spearfisher

"Successful freedivers are heralded as spearfishers, and win an honored place in the tribe."

If we go this route, we could even "steal" images from the Archaic Era.

What do you think?

EDIT: I made several edits because this idea kept evolving. I'm really liking the idea of a freediver rather than a raftsman now. It makes Arendia a little more unique.

EDIT: I found an old map of Evrosia, the main continent on Orbivm. It confirms what I suspected: Arendia has at least one river and a coastal region.
orbivmmapnewxg2.jpg
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on July 25th, 2015, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

My previous post is pretty full, so I'll post this separately:

I whipped up an Arendian swimmer unit. It still has a few little bugs, but they don't seem to affect gameplay, so you can try it out for yourself. Here it is!

EDIT: See below for improved and corrected version.

EDIT 2: Scroll down for newer version with submerge.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on July 27th, 2015, 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey Tem, looks good, but there's no movement type in the various file for dev. I've copied the stats you put in the core file and I'll put in dev for the next release, which I'll get out in a few weeks. Anything else you'd like to try out for it?
wOl.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Hey Tem, looks good, but there's no movement type in the various file for dev.
Yeah, I noticed that and was about to upload a corrected version. I also increased the Freediver's health a little and corrected the minor bug I noticed earlier. See above for the final version.
I've copied the stats you put in the core file and I'll put in dev for the next release, which I'll get out in a few weeks. Anything else you'd like to try out for it? wOl.
Not yet, unless I find some other bugfixes. I thought there was a bug with the stable version of the Orcei. I've mainly been using the dev version, and I thought it was for that reason. I'll have to see.

EDIT: If the bug's been fixed already, no need for my fix!
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on July 25th, 2015, 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

That's the one where it's using the wrong version of ", right? Caught and fixed that in the last update a couple days back :)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote:That's the one where it's using the wrong version of ", right? Caught and fixed that in the last update a couple days back :)
Yes, exactly!

Also, here's an updated version of the ABOUT file. I want to be sure we properly credit everyone! Due to a miscommunication, for example, I was never given credit for helping with the Issaelfr. Also, I want to credit the eras I borrowed things from.
ABOUT.zip
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
Also, there might have been some confusion. I don't think you downloaded the corrected version of my new Arendian unit. To clear up any confusion, I re-posted the file under a new name. Please download that version and use it.

EDIT: Do we want to revert the bowrider and its upgrades to their original stats, now that we have an Arendian swimmer?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Will merge that stuff in when I've finished hacking up my local version, no problems.

I'm not sure about the bowrider stats...i've not played enough to decide, but I'd really like to NOT use the swimmer if we can get away with it and still keep the faction working. I really like the few-units model that we have going in most factions, and I also like avoiding the standard melee/altmelee/archer/mage/scout/swimmer model as much as I can.

For now, let's leave them both in as is and work it out down the track.

EDIT: I've re-added a thing called Ageless II to the add-ons server. In you want, you can use it to play IE factions against the mainline for example and balancing purposes. I might get around to adding the other factions back in, but I mostly use it myself for mucking around atm, and with the actual ageless getting so much love likely I'll probably mothball it some time.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Will merge that stuff in when I've finished hacking up my local version, no problems.

I'm not sure about the bowrider stats...i've not played enough to decide, but I'd really like to NOT use the swimmer if we can get away with it and still keep the faction working. I really like the few-units model that we have going in most factions, and I also like avoiding the standard melee/altmelee/archer/mage/scout/swimmer model as much as I can.

For now, let's leave them both in as is and work it out down the track.
Well, even with the swimmer the Arendians are still just an average sized faction. I like having less units rather than more, too! And the swimmer isn't that powerful. The emphasis of the faction is still where it has always been: cavalry.

EDIT: Also, I'm considering the idea of giving the swimmers either skirmisher or backstab. Or if you can think of another good special ability for them.

EDIT 2: You know what? They're divers. I'll give them submerge. This is the final new version!

EDIT 3: It wasn't final after all. Two more changes. See below.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on August 2nd, 2015, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'm double-posting because this really is a separate topic.

Should we make some further changes to the Issaelfr?

Specifically, I'm wondering if we should drop the Yak Rider and give the Seal submerge.

What do you think?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hrmm...I think the seal having submerge makes sense, but if we keep the diver it might be better for it not to have it, just so they're not too samey.

What's the issue with the Yak? I like the "talks to the animals" vibe of the Issaelfr, and the Yak is a hilarious tank, if a bit...well...bad.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Hrmm...I think the seal having submerge makes sense, but if we keep the diver it might be better for it not to have it, just so they're not too samey.
Giving the seal submerge probably makes more sense than giving it to the diver. We could do that instead.

As for the diver, what other special ability would make sense for it? Backstab?

Or if we didn't keep the diver, and we didn't want them to have a swimmer, is there some other sort of air unit that would make sense for the Arendians?
What's the issue with the Yak? I like the "talks to the animals" vibe of the Issaelfr, and the Yak is a hilarious tank, if a bit...well...bad.
That's true. And as I recall, having them ride yaks was one of the things Xan specifically wanted when he first proposed the faction, and before I even started drawing up any of the unit trees. So we should keep it.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

So. I'm double-posting because it's been a few days and I want this to get into the next version.

I decided to give submerge to the Issaelfr seals and to give the Arendian divers backstab instead. That way, the divers become useful. I also gave the divers an extra movement point. It makes sense, since they're unarmored, and it also helps make them a little more useful.

Here are the updated seal and diver cfg's:
Seals and Divers.zip
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 581 times