The Era of Horrors 1.3.0 (Wesnoth 1.16 bugfix)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.1 (Wesnoth 1.14 release)

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Yeah. I bet that's half in part of me not finding sounds I liked, and half writing barely functioning WML. I was meaning to do a full art upgrade but got distracted making content for other games. Graphical update is still on the backburner with some art done but I basically decided to put it on hold until 1.16, which I'm sure I would have noticed the sound issue and fixed it, being less picky now. Since you brought it to my attention now though I can look into fixing sooner rather than later. After I clean off this rust.

I know the Icondoni all are pretty silent since elephant sounds were not really available in core or UMC. Strangely the kitten of all units should have sound on attacking though, could have swore it uses the same attack sound as the lvl 1 mage in core. Probably jank code, like I said, but that means easy fix.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Been playing with this era again and noticed that all but the toy box and 1 neko units have no sound/anim.

I found I could insert a generic (sword) sound plus a attack anim on all units using 1 search and replace. It works (the anim is as good as the dunefolk heh) although even magic attacks make a sword sound :). Beats silence which is unplayable for me. I need the audio feedback, even if it were a click/beep just to know I've done the attack.

I decided to put in some effort for the kitties though (currently involved in a long game) and fixed them up real nice. Also made the huntress (which had sound and even animated frames (2 of her leaping!) anim work since it was in fact broken due to some darned lower case extensions!

I like the Neko Singer image. She kinda looks like a 60's go-go dancer in her miniskirt. :-)

Anyways, that's the mischief I've been up to...
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Pity there's no Gitub for this era. I've done a load of fixes on my copy (for my own sake) but it would be nice to share 'em.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Atreides wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 12:48 am Pity there's no Gitub for this era. I've done a load of fixes on my copy (for my own sake) but it would be nice to share 'em.
Oh, I appreciate the continued interest in the Era despite me not following through with a year old intention to do something. I'm not really familiar with Github at all. I think I had to use the site once in my life and that's it to download something. I don't really want to abandon the Era, but at the same time me not doing anything is causing it to be abandoned de facto. If you are interested in maintaining the Era you can PM me and maybe we can work something out, otherwise I'd be happy to share your fixes as an update to the official add-on server with proper credit given if you'd prefer less commitment.
Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.4 (Wesnoth 1.16 release)

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Era of Horrors has been updated to the 1.16 versions of Wesnoth. This is a bare bones port just fixing code that prevented the era from loading on these versions and otherwise has no new content.

I have an in-progress version of the era somewhere where I was adding full sounds to units. I'll try to find or remake that version as well as double check all the custom abilities still actually function in the coming week.
Atreides

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.4 (Wesnoth 1.16 release)

Post by Atreides »

Much appreciated!
Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.3.0 (Wesnoth 1.16 bugfix)

Post by Deciton_Reven »

I've just updated Era of Horrors to v1.3.0. This release for wesnoth 1.16+ fixes both old and new bugs that broke certain abilities as well as adds projectiles to every ranged unit. The full changelog can be found below:

Era of Horrors v1.3.0 changelog
Snowcloak and Sandveil now filter by terrain type instead of a hardcoded list of terrains. Both abilities used to break on any overlay terrain or newly added terrain that they logically should have been fine on. This means Snowcloak units can now hide on all frozen terrains including ice, not just snow, but this shouldn't be a problem.
Protection abilities no longer stack and use the new style of leadership that condenses them into one cleaner ability. Protection now increases resistances by (7*the user's level) instead of (5+(5*the user's level)) which are the same enough.
Some unused and redundant abilities have been removed. Master's Aura was just Leadership+Protection so now the Catkin Grand Master just has both of those instead.
Every unit in the era has projectiles tied to their attacks. This should vastly improve user feedback. I know I sit there less often wondering if the game froze or I just missed every attack now.
The Lycan Cursed Conscript should have the right image path now.
(known issues)
Console error throws a missing plural field on race. I don't know which race since all the ones I have do have plural field. This isn't a game breaking bug but it is a little annoying.