LOTE Unit Release

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Efinari

LOTE Unit Release

Post by Efinari »

This is for discussion of the LOTE Unit Release. Your first question is, "What is LOTE???". I'll tell you. LOTE, or Legends of the East, is a massive campaign/MP scenario/MP campaign/resource pack that I'm working on. It focuses on the lands east of Wesnoth, and I have included a map with this release. What this release is, is a bunch of units that I designed specifically for LOTE, and have (grudgingly) decided to share early. To avoid people making up things about these races and finding out they were wrong when LOTE is published, here's a few notes on the races (you'll find some of this same information in the "About.txt" file included with the release):

Crevalari (One Creval, Two Crevalari):
These creatures are basically black winged nagas. They live in a swamp, so their primary movement focus is on swamp-related terrains. I needed a common terrain to act as a slow-me-down on the maps, so I decided their wings actually slow them down over deep water. However, they can handle chasms.
They live in the Swamps of Folm (Northwestern Eastlands), and are practically unknown to other races. They have one small community, where they tend their herds of Uuvn (think turtle, oxen, armored, and massive--if you've seen Star Wars Episode II, I think the Gungans may have used something close to it). The Crevalari are always on the guard against Yvzux, a catlike creature; and occasionally the fearsome Tsi will drop by--a monster with big health, big armor, big attacks, big legs, and something a little like a spider, but not really. Crevalari value strength and hand-to-hand combat, and tend to look down on those "puny, bow-wielding wimps". Mages are very rare
and respected. Any weapon or otherwise that has any magic is acquired at Nisgarv--Folm's Temple of Death (Nisgarv means "Death" in Crevalian). The creatures at Nisgarv are extremely old and extremely powerful. If they ever fought the Sarvians (see below), they would probably win, but there wouldn't be much left of any world.

Draconians:
The Draconians are a somewhat tribal race who live in a valley at the center of the Eastlands (Vorgol Vale). At the time of the primary LOTE campaign, Exploration of the East (in which the Wesnothians first explore the Eastlands), the Draconians are split. Some of them follow respected elder Elvinarin, while the Dark Draconians follow young rebel upstart Efinari (yes, that's my name--actually I took it from him. And he is awesome; besides turning good after 'Exploration of the East'). Draconian Mages (or Firebreathers) are almost unheard-of, due to the fact that they actually live in Grakvr Peak, which is beyond the Dread Wood (Southwestern Eastlands). Draconians speak their own language, which I have partially invented but haven't included in this release.

Sarvians:
The Sarvians are creatures made from and ruled by dark magic. They originated in the Dream Plane, which is a strange place that reflects chunks of the real world, but changes them somewhat; and strange rules apply to it. The Sarvians then escaped from the Dream Plane and attacked the Dread Woods (which is covered in 'Legend of Fell Marthing', another campaign in LOTE). At the time of 'Exploration of the East', the Sarvians rule the Dread Woods (which is why they're Dread), but pretty much stay there.

That's a basic run-down of the races. If you want to make a campaign (or anything else) involving them, please send me a message--I am not completely against the idea (otherwise I wouldn't have posted...). If you have any questions or comments about these units, things I have alluded to above (say, 'Eastlands'), or the included map of the Eastlands, then post below. I promise I don't bite...hard.... :)
Kallin Efinari
---Creator of "LOTE Unit Release", "7p - Afterwards", and "Chain Lightning"
(Working on 1.12 port of "7p - Afterwards")
Managing compatibility between 4000K people's ideas of what happens? Forget it!
szopen

Re: LOTE Unit Release

Post by szopen »

I have long thought about creating sequel to A New Order. These sequel would have to placed east from Wesnoth. I have already a lot of ideas, and at least two concepts from LOTE seems to fit (E.g. Crevalari are a lot like Akladians in ANO, except that Akladians, obviously, are human). Do you have short description of your campaigns which would not require to actually play them?
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Interesting. I'll have to look at this 'A New Order'. Is it on the add-ons list?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, you might want to look at the included map, as I've designed it and the campaigns around each other. Here's a rundown of the campaigns I plan to include (this may be subject to change later). Also, as a side note, I've never been too good with dates, so I'll just include an extremely general time for these campaigns to take place.

Exploration of the East (close to completion)
This is the main campaign, that starts off the entire series. It takes place sometime after 'Heir to the Throne' and before 'Under the Burning Suns'--I know that much at least. It's an unusual campaign in that the first several scenarios you just get to control a band of heroes.
An injured man rides into an outpost on the eastern borders of Wesnoth. He tells a strange tale of strange beasts (???) just across the mountains. The Commander of the outpost, Bravian, informs the King, who commisions him to organize a band, explore the Eastlands, and possibly make new allies there. The first four scenarios
then introduce each of four of the main characters:
Caveli, a powerful new graduate from Alduin, who has been falsely accused of necromancy,
Tyre, an elvish marksman and dragon-hunter,
Tindari, a renowned blademaster (duelist), and
Brinvian, a naturalist who has been researching communication with animals.
Each one fights a foe, who escapes just before the killing blow. Bravian's captain then shows up for each one and invites them to council. At the council, they meet Bravian and Farlas, the Seer who was injured at the first. Upon setting foot in the eastlands, they are attacked by a band of draconians. They venture further and find groups of orcs and undead. They then meet a naga, who tells them about Sored Fel, and they go to Vorgol Vale (home of the draconians). There they learn that the bad draconians follow a young prodigy named Efinari (which is where I got my personna :)). They explore around the eastlands fighting Efinari. Two notable stops are the Ruins of Fell Marthing, where they fight some Sarvians, and the Swamps of Folm, where they meet Tsi-Bane, a legend among Crevalari. Eventually, they learn that Efinari is assaulting the draconian mage's school at Grakvr Peak, and they go there. Efinari takes his army and launches an assault directly against Wesnoth. The heroes, alongside of the nagai, draconians, and crevalari stop him at the borders. All the enemies from the first four scenarios reappear for a final massive showdown.

(The rest of the campaigns are listed chronologically)

Heroes of the East (not much worked on yet)
This takes place ages before anything. Each of the three different difficulty levels tells about a different one of three heroes: Bralan (Bralan's Tomb), Brorg (Dungeons of Brorg), and Folm (Folm's Temple of Death--Nisgarv in Crevalian tongue). I don't have much about these yet....

The Naga-Draconian War (not much worked on yet)
This is actually three campaigns--one where you play nagas, one for draconians, and one multi-player. It chronicles the war that destroyed trade and travel for both nagas and draconians and allowed the Eastlands to devolve into wilderness.

Orcs on the Home Front (not much worked on yet)
This is soon after 'The Rise of Wesnoth'. It chronicles the race's reactions to the new threat from the west.

The Trials of Arloren (completed)
This is several decades before 'Exploration'. It tells of a student from the Isle of Alduin who was falsely accused and banished to a set of islands off the eastern coast. Here he experiences a variety of trials, before finally making his escape and defeating the real bad guy.

A Creval's Tale (completed)
This is just a few years before 'Exploration'. It tells how Tsi-Bane became so legendary; how the Crevalians adopted their present form of government; and goes into a little more detail about Nisgarv (Folm's Temple of Death).

Legend of Fell Marthing (completed)
This is perhaps not even a full year after 'A Creval's Tale'. It focuses on Ellinasia, daughter of the Elvish captain who defends Fell Marthing. She manages to hold together a rag-tag band of elves and fight against the Sarvians when they first arrive. Through her actions, the Sarvians are repelled until they do not roam outside of the Dread Woods.

(Exploration of the East goes here chronologically)

The Chalice of Victory (not much worked on yet)
A band sets out to recover the Chalice of Victory (as seen and lost in 'Exploration'). They have an unlikely ally in the form of Efinari (who has turned over a new leaf since 'Exploration').

Heroes in the Dream-Plane (not much worked on yet)
This is a MP campaign. The four most potently magical beings of the Eastlands (Efinari, Nerynedd (another character from 'Exploration'), the spirit of Nisgarv, and a Sarvian Commander) are all pulled by another being into the Dreamplane. In this world of twisted reality and half-truths, the four of them must work out their differences and fight together against an even greater foe.

An Epic Voyage (a little worked on)
This is the campaign for which I designed the 'Ship Macro'. A foolish, rich young noble takes it into his head that the world is cylindrical--sure sailing north or south will take you off the edge of the world, but if you sail east you can sail all the way around the world. This campaign follows them as they brave a billowy unknown and fearsome sea monsters. Yes, some concepts and titles were taken from some pieces in West's Chronicles (a music add-on).

King of the East (a little worked on)
This switches between two heroes; the crown prince of Wesnoth and his sickly younger sister. They end up in the Eastlands fighting against a corrupt noble and eventually one of them ends up becoming the ruler of the Eastlands.

Survival in the East (a tiny bit worked on)
This follows a band of nagas (who are later joined by other races) who fight to survive in the chaotic world after the burning mountain destroys Wesnoth's capital (at the time of 'Under the Burning Suns').
Kallin Efinari
Pokonic

Post by Pokonic »

Okay, I must say that this looks interesting. Also, rather lofty. I tend to have slight fears about projects like these. However, you seem to be doing well off. A few questions, however:

1. What makes the Draconians different than a differant flavor of drakes? Are they generaly bigger, more elongated, ect? Something between a dragon and a drake? Are there units any different than that of drakes, with Firebreathers being Flares and the like? Can we expect jokes about weary wesnothians complaining that there are two races of flying dragon-folk flying around? :P

2.Tyre (the elven charecter) is mentioned to be a dragon-slayer. Are there simply more dragons over in the east, and hence a secondary goal for the charecter to come over and fight there for the king? Thing is, considering that this is primaraly taking place in Wesnoth proper, and dragons are rare to the extreme.

3.Brinvian sounds interesting. Will there be the chance for him to stumble apon such things as a misplaced Tsi egg or something and raise said little spider-thing to grow into what is probably a level 4 unit slaying beast?

4.Sarvians sound promising. Are they truly bound to the Dread Woods, and why do they tend to stay there?

5. Any chance for any of these races to be placed into a MP era?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Efinari, ideas seems fine and I'd love to see one of your campaigns when it's finished. However, I am not sure whether you are WML God, or simply not aware how much work is involved with creating and maintaining a SINGLE campaign. Do you really realistically expect to finish all those campaigns, each of which may take you MONTHs? Please do not take this as critique or discouragement.

As for ANO sequel, Simply I do not want to reinvent the wheel. In ANO there are Akladians, who came from the east, and they constantly mention that during their escape they fought with "most nightmarish creatures". In sequel, I intend group of Akladians to return to the east. I hate the thought that each the campaign on add-on server is having it's own version of geography and history, contradicting the others. That's why I'd want to have ANO sequel being consistent with other addons.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Pokonic wrote:1. What makes the Draconians different than a differant flavor of drakes? Are they generaly bigger, more elongated, ect? Something between a dragon and a drake? Are there units any different than that of drakes, with Firebreathers being Flares and the like? Can we expect jokes about weary wesnothians complaining that there are two races of flying dragon-folk flying around?
There are a few ways that Draconians differ from the mainline drake faction:
1. Draconians are an actual solid race, vs. drakes being often summoned by mages (which decreases their reality somehow)
2. Draconians are isolated to one (actually two) place in the Eastlands. They are rather reclusive, and do not often show up elsewhere (Efinari to the contrary)
3. If you've played with this release (available on the add-ons list), you've seen that Draconians and Drakes differ drastically in appearance
4. Drakes are often portrayed as summoned by, created by, or just involved with potent magic. Magic is practically unheard of for Draconians (the archer/mage advancement pattern is isolated to a special magic school at Grakvr Peak).
5. Draconians have a very definite society, language, etc. Drakes are usually portrayed as more wild and random.
I hope that helps....
Pokonic wrote:2.Tyre (the elven charecter) is mentioned to be a dragon-slayer. Are there simply more dragons over in the east, and hence a secondary goal for the charecter to come over and fight there for the king? Thing is, considering that this is primaraly taking place in Wesnoth proper, and dragons are rare to the extreme.
Hmm.... I'm rather terrible at fitting my ideas around other peoples (call me a solo player, or bad team player :) ). Tyre doesn't do much business, nor does he limit it exclusively to killing dragons (he'll go after any single large monster if the pay is enough). Also, he does not limit his work to Wesnoth alone; he could travel the northern lands a bit and maybe accept jobs from orcs (again, I'm not sure if that fits in with other ideas about the northland and orcs...).
Regardless, he has a life-long vendetta against dragons and dragonish creatures, which causes some friction once they meet the friendly Draconians and forge an alliance.
Pokonic wrote:3.Brinvian sounds interesting. Will there be the chance for him to stumble apon such things as a misplaced Tsi egg or something and raise said little spider-thing to grow into what is probably a level 4 unit slaying beast?
Interesting concept. I didn't include the Tsi unit with this release, but I have made it. It is a level 4 juggernaut, basically a machine of destruction. There are a few problems with the idea, though:
1. Tsi are pretty much loners, but they are fiercely protective of their eggs. I suppose it might be possible for a Tsi to have been killed and leave its nest undefended, but there's not much in the swamps--and not much more out of them--that can bring down a Tsi.
2. Tsi are always portrayed as fierce, destructive, and really nasty. I'm not sure even raising one from a hatchling would be enough to dispel it's inborn kill instincts--although if there was a way, Brinvian would be the one to find it. Actually, at the end, he becomes a translater for Wesnothian-Draconian interrelations.
(if someone can tell me how, I'll edit a picture of a Tsi into here, just to show you what it looks like. :wink: )
Pokonic wrote:4.Sarvians sound promising. Are they truly bound to the Dread Woods, and why do they tend to stay there?
They are not bound completely to the Dread Woods. They remain there for three reasons:
1. When they pursued Ellinasia out of Fell Marthing 'Legend of Fell Marthing', she eventually entered the Dream Plane (which is where the Sarvians originated) and won a tremendous victory over them (which is the final epic battle of the campaign). Since then, there's been an uneasy truce, with the Sarvians content to rule the Dread Woods and the Dream Plane--as long as no one bothers them there.
2. Nisgarv. Nisgarv is the Crevalian word for Death, and it is what they call Folm's Temple of Death (on the map). The place was originally designed by the master architect, Folm; but, as evidenced in 'A Creval's Tale' (and most likely in 'Heroes of the East'), it was conquered by some kind of extremely powerful magical being--the spirit of Nisgarv, more commonly called just plain 'Nisgarv'. Folm hypothesizes that it may have been an abberation in the defensive spells that caused Nisgarv's existence--some defensive spell!!!
3. Nerynedd. Nerynedd is an empath, an elf who is so full of love that the fairies granted her a mixed blessing. She can completely heal and cure any adjacent units--but only by taking every bit of the damage into her own body. Also, she is so overcome by compassion that she can't help but heal anyone near her. (Yes, that is a special ability she has--giving a full heal and stat restoration to adjacent units and taking it on herself. She's also a hero, so you can't let her die :) ). Her Glen is so full of life and happiness that the Sarvians have two thoughts about it: they desperately want it gone; and they can't set foot in it. So they've been flinging themselves against Nerynedd for years. (Idea: a campaign about Nerynedd's origins as well? Not sure how interesting it might be....)
Pokonic wrote:5. Any chance for any of these races to be placed into a MP era?
The Draconians, Crevalari, and Sarvians are all part of the MP eras included with 'LOTE Unit Release' (Author: Efinari), which is on the add-ons server (for 1.10.0, anyway). This release also compresses the water-dwelling creatures (merfolk and nagas) into a single 'Water' faction, which has two new veins for nagas: archer and healer. Once the entire package is completed, these eras ('Tales of the East' and 'Legends of the East') will also include the factions 'Heroes' and 'Mighty Beasts of Magic'. Heroes includes all the special unit types designed for the main (and secondary) characters in all the campaigns; and Mighty Beasts of Magic includes both creatures from Nisgarv and the Sarvians. The main package will also include two new eras; 'Times of Trouble' and 'Times of Turmoil' (default-level and aoh-level, respectively). Their factions are 'Plainlands Softskins' (mostly elves and humans), 'Abhorent Spectres' (mostly undead, with some of the 'icky' monsters, such as the Shadow Worm), 'Mighty Mountain-Dwellers' (mostly Orcs, Trolls, Goblins, and Dwarves, with some Ogres thrown in), 'Serpentine Assailants' (naga, merfolk, and crevalari), and 'Blackguard Lizards' (drakes, saurians, sarvians (they're a little lizardish....), and draconians).
Note: I am well aware that these eras include some pretty unlikely/impossible alliances. I just thought the units kind of 'fit' together....

szopen wrote:Efinari, ideas seems fine and I'd love to see one of your campaigns when it's finished. However, I am not sure whether you are WML God, or simply not aware how much work is involved with creating and maintaining a SINGLE campaign. Do you really realistically expect to finish all those campaigns, each of which may take you MONTHs? Please do not take this as critique or discouragement.
I am well aware of the time and resources required. No, I do not consider myself a master of WML, but if you take a look at the 'Ship Macro', that might give you an idea of just how complicated I'm willing to get. :)
I do not take any of that as critique or discouragement. You are quite alright to warn me of the difficulty of the task--especially as I am a solo worker, and most definitely NOT a team player (so I'm creating and maintaining this huge project by myself). :)
That being said, the projects does happen to be at a stand-still. It's amazing how little one works on projects they are not required to do. :) Still, I hope to get back to it soon. I hope to get back into Wesnoth soon; It's been a while since I played and I've been doing a bunch of other projects. I'm the sort who can't stick with one project for any length of time before discarding it and turning to a new one. :P
In other words, if you expect this massive add-on within your (or my) lifetime, you could be disappointed. :D
szopen wrote:As for ANO sequel, Simply I do not want to reinvent the wheel. In ANO there are Akladians, who came from the east, and they constantly mention that during their escape they fought with "most nightmarish creatures". In sequel, I intend group of Akladians to return to the east. I hate the thought that each the campaign on add-on server is having it's own version of geography and history, contradicting the others. That's why I'd want to have ANO sequel being consistent with other addons.
So there hasn't been much development of the Eastlands yet? If that's the case, you can look at the map (it's an image file included with the LOTE Unit Release). It gives a basic impression of the Eastlands, and you can PM me or post it here if you (or anyone looking to develop an Eastern campaign) have questions/comments. (I might even be persuaded to share some of my unfinished campaigns with fellow Eastlands developers. This is not in any way intended as either patronizing, domineering, or a sales pitch; it is simply a statement of fact. Thank you. :) ).
Kallin Efinari
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Efinari wrote:So there hasn't been much development of the Eastlands yet?
Actually, someone has tried to do it. I don't know if you had anything to do with this thread, or if it has anything to do with your ideas. I don't think this depiction of the Eastlands has any official status, though. Here's the link:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=105
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Temuchin Khan wrote:viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31838&start=105
Wow.

That's a massive project.

However, my map can still work, marginally. My map goes from a western mountain range to the eastern coast. So while it's not exactly directly east of Wesnoth, it could still be a long ways east....
This really throws a wrench in the workings; unless I just throw up my hands and fling compatibility out the window. :D Perhaps I (or someone else, the map comes with the 'LOTE Unit Release') could figure out a way to incorporate it somewhere into that massive world map.
As it is, I'll still continue work (or get back to working) on this project. Hopefully some way will come up to fit this in with all the other add-ons (like I've said, I'm a terrible team player...).
(P.S. I have made my own world map including the Northlands and Eastlands, but it's got a big missing chunk in the northeast; and if this other map is widely acknowledged, mine won't work anyway--it shows the Eastlands as being just across the mountains from Wesnoth. :( )
Kallin Efinari
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Efinari wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31838&start=105
Wow.

That's a massive project.

However, my map can still work, marginally. My map goes from a western mountain range to the eastern coast. So while it's not exactly directly east of Wesnoth, it could still be a long ways east....
This really throws a wrench in the workings; unless I just throw up my hands and fling compatibility out the window. :D Perhaps I (or someone else, the map comes with the 'LOTE Unit Release') could figure out a way to incorporate it somewhere into that massive world map.
As it is, I'll still continue work (or get back to working) on this project. Hopefully some way will come up to fit this in with all the other add-ons (like I've said, I'm a terrible team player...).
(P.S. I have made my own world map including the Northlands and Eastlands, but it's got a big missing chunk in the northeast; and if this other map is widely acknowledged, mine won't work anyway--it shows the Eastlands as being just across the mountains from Wesnoth. :( )
Like I said, though, I don't think that project has any official status. You might be able to get away with ignoring it, you'd just have to find out.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Yeah. My main concern is if there's already a campaign that has any kind of a reference to the eastlands (i.e., these Akladians, which I still have to investigate :) ). If there isn't much of that, than my take on the matter is that the map doesn't really have an official standing--after all, the map is made to fit the game, not really the other way around (my sincerest apologies if that is offensive to anyone).
Kallin Efinari
szopen

Post by szopen »

Efinari wrote:Yeah. My main concern is if there's already a campaign that has any kind of a reference to the eastlands (i.e., these Akladians, which I still have to investigate :) ).
Actually, ANO is I think easily incorporated. If you want, I can sent you basic outline (will contain spoilers :) ) and you will see that there should be no problems at all. In fact I can modify a bit ANO (if there is a need) and everything will be just fine.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Is it on the add-ons list? If so, I can download it and play it for myself. If not, than an outline would work very nicely. Thanks!
Kallin Efinari
szopen

Post by szopen »

It is on add-on server, but the campaign is not situated in the East; Only Akladians came from the east and in three places there are very vague mentions about East. e.g (and this is actually no spoiler here, since it is in the third scenario):
Spoiler:

However:

1) I'd love to see some consistency between UMC campaigns. Meaning while there is nothing which could stop you or me to invent totally contradicting stories, I think it would be nice (also from players) if some consistency would be kept.
2) OTOH, i wrote ANO some six years ago, when the whole world of Wesnoth was far more unspecified than now, and while ANO history was one at point incorporated at wiki into history, it was cleaned some time ago and some consider it too un-wesnothish :)
3) OTOH, it would be really easy to maintain consistency between ANO and your LOTE cycle of campaigns, I think, and it would add a value for players.
4) And finally, i plan to make a sequel which would be located in the east, and there is one important point about the East which must be there :)
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

szopen wrote:either there should be desert in the East, OR I have to change the wording.
Look at the map! :) There is a huge desert just east of the mountains that form the western borders. Also there are many ruins scattered across the eastlands. I suppose I may as well list them (below) with a little note on each. :roll:
szopen wrote:1) I'd love to see some consistency between UMC campaigns. Meaning while there is nothing which could stop you or me to invent totally contradicting stories, I think it would be nice (also from players) if some consistency would be kept.
I could not agree more. However, sometimes (not the case this time) it is far more trouble than it is worth to keep consistency.
szopen wrote:2) OTOH, i wrote ANO some six years ago, when the whole world of Wesnoth was far more unspecified than now, and while ANO history was one at point incorporated at wiki into history, it was cleaned some time ago and some consider it too un-wesnothish
I still have to get ANO and play it before passing judgment. There are many who may quibble that some or all of LOTE is too un-wesnothish. Personally I feel that there are three 'flavors' of Wesnoth: Pure Wesnoth; Common Wesnoth; and Alien Wesnoth (to invent names out of the hat). Pure Wesnoth is 'Heir to the Throne' and precious little else. Common Wesnoth is what most of the campaigns, units, add-ons, etc. are--not un-wesnothish, but not nearly as 'magical' as HttT was. Alien Wesnoth is the things that are very hard to reconcile with Wesnoth--advanced technology, for instance (although I believe 'Invasion from the Unknown' had some advanced dwarven steam technology which shadowmaster managed to fit in really well--I may be mistaken in that, though). My 'Ship Macro' or the Dream Plane are about the most alien of LOTE; but I'm not sure how alien they really are.
szopen wrote:3) OTOH, it would be really easy to maintain consistency between ANO and your LOTE cycle of campaigns, I think, and it would add a value for players.
Quire right on both counts. As I said above, there is a large desert; and many ruins which might have come from your people or not--it's not really important ATM.
szopen wrote:4) And finally, i plan to make a sequel which would be located in the east, and there is one important point about the East which must be there
I am not adverse to adding a feature to the map; or, if it's something like a city or a stronghold, there are some candidates in my Eastlands already. Also, many campaigns add features to Wesnoth that aren't on the default map because they're not well-known; but they are added in the campaign.

Here are the major points of the Eastlands (you still have to look at the map to find out where they're situated):
In the Windy Desert:
Spire's Vale--a single mountain peak (possibly an ancient volcano) jutting out of the desert. At the center is a peaceful valley full of lush vegitation.
Tower of Fear--a tower just south of Spire's Vale; still in the desert. At the time of EOTE, it's somewhat ruined and overrun by orcs and undead (who are fighting each other)

In the Swamps of Folm:
Folm's Temple of Death--a temple in the swamps overrun by magic and monsters. There has been mention of it made above.
The Crevalari--the Creval's Village has been, by their own request, left off of the maps.

In the Mountains of Gorn (western border):
Chalice of Victory--a cave, which used to be a great stronghold/prisons. In here rests the Chalice of Victory (which no one really knows much about).
Grakvr Peak--a secluded valley, where the draconians send all their mages.

In the Dread Woods:
Ruins of Fell Marthing--the ruins of Fell Marthing. What more needs be said? This is where the Sarvians power in this world is centered.
Nerynedd's Glen--as mentioned above; a spot so full of life and love the Sarvians cannot set foot in it.

On the plainlands:
Ruins of Marloc--Marloc was the villain of 'The Trials of Arloren'. After it was discovered that he falsely accused Arloren, he fled to the Eastlands and established a major city; enslaved to his will. Upon his defeat, the city fell into ruins.
Rugnefel--perhaps the single strongest fortress in the Eastlands; maybe the world. This place has never fallen to an enemy. So why is it abandoned, you ask? Good question.
Brizzal's Crossing--a mighty bridge across the river.
Shilvian's Port--One of the oldest fixtures of the Eastlands; it dates back to around the same time as or earlier than Folm, Bralan, or Brorg. It is, as the name says, a port city; and the jumping-off point for 'An Epic Voyage'.

In the Dead Mountains (the center of the entire Eastlands):
Refnel's lake--a lake from which flows the Great River (according to the map scheme I invented from the start....)
Vorgol Vale--just north of the lake; a sheltered and peaceful valley which the Draconians call Home (in fact, they use the word for valley to mean either valley or home).

In the Mountains of Wind:
Bralan's Tomb--when Bralan died, his tomb was set up with tons of nasty traps and surprises.

In the ocean:
Bay of Souls--the Bay of Pearls rotated image; this bay is the location of Sored Fel; the nagas capital.
The Long Isle--this long isle is the location of the Dungeons of Brorg; a mighty prisons.
The Trials of Arloren--these three islands are the site of Arloren's trials. It is said that his ghost still wanders there, craving vengeance....
Kallin Efinari
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Efinari wrote:Yeah. My main concern is if there's already a campaign that has any kind of a reference to the eastlands (i.e., these Akladians, which I still have to investigate :) ). If there isn't much of that, than my take on the matter is that the map doesn't really have an official standing--after all, the map is made to fit the game, not really the other way around (my sincerest apologies if that is offensive to anyone).
Well, I think the version of the Eastlands in that map is the one that corresponds to the Era of Strife multiplayer era. I don't know if there are and Era of Strife campaigns, but that multiplayer era has been around for a while. You could check to see if your version is compatible with theirs, or you could just say that you're even further east than they are.