Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - TEH PRUSSIANS ARE DA!

Post by inferno8 »

Transfermium wrote:I don't think the cavalry line and formation abilities are working for the Prussians.
I have just checked them and they work fine :hmm: How do you test them?
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sagez wrote:@Temuchin, Cool. Thank you, I'd love to add this map, the old one needed polishing, that's for sure. That''s a topic for a lenghty discussion... How do you like those Brandenburgers, please tell.
Feel free to use my experimental version of the EEaW map in place of the existing one or alongside it.

And from what I've seen so far, I like the Prussians. I was wondering, though, are the Colonial Marines supposed to be American allies, as a nod to the fact that German mercenaries fought on the American side in the American Revolution the following century?
franz_mp

Post by franz_mp »

.I used to write to add Prussians, you did not agree and now I have been right.
Water Age version 1.8.8,2 BfW 1.13.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Sagez wrote:I'm not and expert too. Voivode is a pretty common slavic administration rank, wojewoda in polish I guess, but does that matter? By Knyaz we ment a noble and wealthy person, with voivode we meant an official who's able to command. Did we got something wrong? Any Russians out there?
What I'm saying is, i believe Knyaz is supposed to be the lower tier, with Voivode the highest.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Please do not confuse sevententh century Brandenburg-Prussia with eleventh or nineth century Prussia. I mean, that's ok with me, but we aimed for the ''Prussians'' known from the Second Northern War (1655–60) or Swedish-Brandenburgian War ('70's).

It's the general problem with EEaW that we cover this not-too-well-known period of European history (which some of you may dismiss as unsignificant eastern ruckus) - I'm talking about you, westerners! There's no Napoleon yet and no Le Roi Soleil either...

Sadly, I can't find image that we used when we were creating Colonial Marines. But by the term ''marine'' we meant a navy sailor/soldier on board/ Kolonial Korps soldat. It's a play of words, really - we didn't mean ''marine'' in a modern, american ''special forces'' meaning. Our marine = army sailor. Although if you see the certain level 2 advancement... you will think about RAMBO. XVII century Brandenburg had colonial fleet, so...

...on the other hand, colonial marines can bo seen as ''elite'' or ''special'' forces. They are equipped with machetes (to cut down bushes!) and engineering tools (not shown yet! but hammers they have for sure!) because they have to build forts in a foreign land (to defend themselves! life is dangerous you know!), to raise everything from nothing (like, Great Builders (tm) do!), building cool infrastructure (autobahn is yet to come!). 300 years later those awesome natives will kick them out (lolololol politics!), but they won't sent the roads they've build back nor the wells! Boom sticks!

But let's not get carried away! The fact is those Brandenburgers (argh=some Germans, ok?) were rather nice individuals and tried to be nice during kolonisation. We should give them more units, more Kolonial Korps! Kolonial Korps DLC I say, ok? The least of features:
- Colonial engineer units!
- Colonial officer & general!
- Colonial medic!

You gotta pay us in nice reviews to get it! But I haven't seen one review yet.

So, my dear Temuchin, no, not really, we just tried to represent those regular sailors. They were ''elite'' because they were far away from their homeland and needed to build everything from scratch. A lot of courage is needed! And they probably don't get much respect nowadays, hehe.

BTIsaac, so maybe will will just swap them?
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

The correct term is a sailor, Sagez.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Thank you kindly sir. Any new post in this thread makes me happy :)
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sagez wrote:So, my dear Temuchin, no, not really, we just tried to represent those regular sailors.
Thanks. I learned something new today!
FortTell

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - NEW FACTION IS COMING!

Post by FortTell »

BTIsaac wrote: December 16th, 2017, 12:29 pm I've been looking through the unit list and something caught my attention. I'm by no means an expert on russian millitary titles, but I do know that Knyaz and Voivod were also used in medieval Vallachia and Moldova. And the former ranked lower than the later. I mean I could be mistaken but it's something I noticed.
Sagez wrote: December 21st, 2017, 8:30 pm I'm not and expert too. Voivode is a pretty common slavic administration rank, wojewoda in polish I guess, but does that matter? By Knyaz we ment a noble and wealthy person, with voivode we meant an official who's able to command. Did we got something wrong? Any Russians out there?
Source: am Russian.
It is more complicated. At the time period Voevoda was mostly an appointed title (opposed to an inherited noble title of Knyaz). However, there were a lot of voevodas in Russia, ranging from 'bolshoi voevoda' (big voevoda), who commanded all armed forces of Russia on campaign and a bunch of his immediate subordinates were voevodas, too, to 'gorodovoi voevoda' (city voevoda), who commanded only the town's garrison, down to even a leader of a scouting detachment.

So Knyaz may be higher or lower ranked compared to different voevodas. I mean, the titles are generally uncomparable. A Knyaz or a Velikiy Knyaz (Grand Prince) may be a voevoda, because voevoda is not a feudal rank, but a military rank. Voevoda had not yet become an administrative rank only.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

I'm sorry for such late response, I saw notification just today. Thank you very much FortTell for clarifying, that's interesting. I hope that we portrayed the rest of the faction decently though.
StandardNerd

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - 2.1 for 1.14!

Post by StandardNerd »

I think I may have spotted 2 bugs in the most recent version of Wesnoth downloaded from Steam. The Turkish Cavalry units "Akinji" and "Akinji Scout" have the movement and dodge chances (defences) of Elven Outriders from the default era. Also, the Prussian Cannon (not the Howitzer) is the only artillery piece that can move on mountains, but it has a 0% dodge chance when on one.

Thank you so much for making this era, it is great fun!
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

That's correct, we'll check that. Akinjis are very old units and may be outdated in terms of balance, although we like to break the rules of default era here. EEaW is anti-default by definition. I hardly even play the game anymore, but I know that we destroyed the rules of default.

Cannon will be fixed, thank you.

In EEaW you can find at least 3 types of cavalry - heavy (like bojars/sipahi/cuirassiers), medium (like polish hussars) and light (ankinji). Light cavalry is able to cross even high mountains and should be much better at passing rivers than the armored cavalry. That's the short answer. To be honest I don't remember clearly - some units have special purposes and have to act in a very original way...

Thank you for kind words, nothing is better than hearing praise. Have fun!
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

KamovHelix wrote: July 30th, 2018, 6:24 pm I wanted to ask, does the mod keep the fantasy theme, or is it realism-oriented? I'm a total newbie regarding the game and its modding, so I'd rather ask before doing something stupid.
This is a "historical" add-on which means units are based on real troops from the XVII century. There is no fantasy nor magic, but a lot of gunpowder. ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Can-ned_Food

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - Marines and Sailors

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Pardon the unearthing of an old post for one that is probably not topical.
Sagez wrote: December 25th, 2017, 3:03 pm Sadly, I can't find image that we used when we were creating Colonial Marines. But by the term ''marine'' we meant a navy sailor/soldier on board/ Kolonial Korps soldat. It's a play of words, really - we didn't mean ''marine'' in a modern, american ''special forces'' meaning. Our marine = army sailor.
That's a common misconception about contemporary US Marines all being members of “special forces”, actually. Every Marine is a rifleman, but not all Marines belong to Force Recon.
From what I knew, the distinction was that Marines were only deployed in theaters where one of the fleets had any ships engaged in some role. Marines wouldn't go somewhere unless the Navy was involved somehow. Same for the Seabees: the Army has their own builders.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Thanks for clarification. Maybe that's like how it is with various kind of this day spetsnaz - not all of them are all that tough.

Anyway, did you like this addon?